The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Can coaches "buy" a player's way back in to the game

Just starting out....and have a question. If a player:

1. Has blood on their person and is instructed to leave the game....can the coach call a time-out to get the player back into the game after the blood has been cleaned?

2. Has been injured to a point where play has been stopped, can a coach call a timeout to keep the player in the game?
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP707 View Post
Just starting out....and have a question. If a player:

1. Has blood on their person and is instructed to leave the game....can the coach call a time-out to get the player back into the game after the blood has been cleaned?

2. Has been injured to a point where play has been stopped, can a coach call a timeout to keep the player in the game?

Yes

These situations are covered in the rule and case books.

Have a look!
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Be nice. He may not have received his rule book yet or he may not know where to find the info.

NFHS 3-3-6
A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and comes onto the court shall be directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

NFHS 3-3-7
A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has any amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game until the bleeding is stopped, the wound is covered, the uniform and/or body is appropriately cleaned, and/or the uniform is changed before returning to competition, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

NOTES: (ARTS. 6, 7)
1. If players from both teams are directed to leave the game because of injury/blood, both teams must request and be granted a time-out in order to keep each player in the game, as in 5-11-8.

2. A time-out granted to keep a player in the game must be requested before the replacement interval begins.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Yes
On #1, it depends on the timing -- the question isn't quite clear on that.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

My question on this is how much blood on the uniform do you allow? A speck of blood ok? Quarter sized stain on the uniform ok? A fist sized spot? I had a kid in a AAU game that had a fist sized blood stain on his jersey.

I remember reading here years ago that no blood should be on the jersey. I wanted to ask you vets where you draw the line.

By the above mentioned rules I can't be clear.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:42am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
My question on this is how much blood on the uniform do you allow? A speck of blood ok? Quarter sized stain on the uniform ok? A fist sized spot? I had a kid in a AAU game that had a fist sized blood stain on his jersey.

I remember reading here years ago that no blood should be on the jersey. I wanted to ask you vets where you draw the line.

By the above mentioned rules I can't be clear.
None.

3-3-7

A player who is bleeding, has an open wound, has any amount of blood on his/her uniform, or has blood on his/her person, shall be directed to leave the game until the bleeding is stopped, the wound is covered, the uniform and/or body is appropriately cleaned, and/or the uniform is changed before returning to competition, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Visual blood on the uniform Rec,HS, College etc you tell them it has to be cleaned.

Thanks man.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Visual blood on the uniform Rec,HS, College etc you tell them it has to be cleaned.

Thanks man.
Not true in College -- the trainer can assess the uniform to see if it's saturated. A "fist sized spot" almost certainly will be.
Old Sun Dec 13, 2015, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

2. A time-out granted to keep a player in the game must be requested before the replacement interval begins.
Before replacement interval begins. When exactly is this?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
Before replacement interval begins. When exactly is this?
When player has blood I go to coach and say "coach he has blood. Do you want to replace him or call a timeout to see if it can be fixed during the time out so you can keep him in?" If he says he is going to replace him then start clock. Player must be replaced. Can't change mind and say timeout.

If coach says he wants the timeout then they have til end of it to fix blood. If it still isn't fixed they need to replace player.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

In a non blood situation? Simply tending to a play who is down. The coach wants to keep player in the game, but is beckoned onto the floor. When does timeout have to be requested in order for player to remain in game?
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In a non blood situation? Simply tending to a play who is down. The coach wants to keep player in the game, but is beckoned onto the floor. When does timeout have to be requested in order for player to remain in game?
When the player is down you can ask him if he is ok. Don't rush him, at all. If he isn't ready in pretty short order Or if a coach or trainer comes on floor, he must be replaced or timeout called. Once he is off floor and coach can turn attention to game you do the same thing as blood." Do you want to replace or call timeout to see if he can get ready to play.

Again, don't rush the player or team to move him. Also, don't play doctor. The law favors sports officials but this is one area you can get into trouble.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 01:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Before I start the 20-second clock.
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:05am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Blood and injury are treated differently .
Old Mon Dec 14, 2015, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Blood and injury are treated differently .
In HS? How so? As a practical matter, even the timing of the coach's choice and the start of the replacement interval is the same.