The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Would you call this violation?

Sideline out-of-bounds in the backcourt. Player inbounds the ball to his teammate and then runs up the sideline out-of-bounds about 15-20 feet and then comes on the court. He passed behind the official as he was running up the sideline out-of-bounds. Did the official hand him the ball on the wrong side?

I thought it should have been called, but not really a big advantage gained. They were walking the ball up the court.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:25am
Back from the DL

A violation? No. This is actually a technical foul for purposely not returning to the court after being out of bounds legally.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
A violation? No. This is actually a technical foul for purposely not returning to the court after being out of bounds legally.
My bad. Would you call it? Seeing what the punishment is, I agree with the no call.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 12:33am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
My bad. Would you call it? Seeing what the punishment is, I agree with the no call.
NFHS, yes. The NCAA rule regarding this may be different. Who wants to take this?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:05am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

It's interesting that you put it that way. That actually has been named as a reason for a rule change, as I recall. Swinging an elbow without contact was changed from a T to a violation, at least partially because officials were hesitant to call it. Having said all that, the OP is pretty much identical to a casebook play. If an official refuses to make this call simply because he disagrees with the penalty, his position is impossible to justify.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
It's interesting that you put it that way. That actually has been named as a reason for a rule change, as I recall. Swinging an elbow without contact was changed from a T to a violation, at least partially because officials were hesitant to call it. Having said all that, the OP is pretty much identical to a casebook play. If an official refuses to make this call simply because he disagrees with the penalty, his position is impossible to justify.
Like those officials who refuse to put the ball down on the floor and implement the resuming play procedure?
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:27am
AremRed

Quote:
Would you call it?
Yep.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 06:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

If At First You Don't Succeed ...

Quote:
That actually has been named as a reason for a rule change, as I recall. Swinging an elbow without contact was changed from a T to a violation, at least partially because officials were hesitant to call it.
And it will be again this year. Already submitted.

Suggested NFHS Rule Change

Background:

NFHS 9-3-3: A player shall not leave the court for an unauthorized reason.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)

NFHS 10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Rationale:

Change 10-3-2 from a technical foul to a violation. Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds should carry the same penalty as leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

NFHS 9-3-3-B: A player shall not purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
PENALTY: (Section 3) The ball is dead when the violation occurs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation. (See 6-7-9 Exception d)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 08:58am
Administrator

Quote:

I don't have a problem with calling a TF for this infraction of the rules. I have called it twice this year already.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

How long is too long?

THis may be subjective but clearly the OP is a violation. A kid standing there because they ball watch for a couple of seconds clearly isn't? What or where is your line?

1) Let me give you a couple of scenarios. SLOB team A front court. A3 Inbounder throws into A1. A4 who had been posting up/coming tot he ball cotinues to run at the inbounder. Stops short of sideline and sets a screen to send the inbounder to the corner/or rim who steps down the line to use the screen and enters using the screen(no more space used then they would normally be allowed to step either way). ?

2) A backcourt BLOB after a made hoop by B. A1 nbounds the ball to A2. A1 1 runs the length of the baseline before stepping back onto the floor and receives a reversal or kick back pass from A2.?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 10:24am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless I'm seeing this wrong in my head, I wouldn't call this.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 01:56pm
Administrator

Quote:
Sideline out-of-bounds in the backcourt. Player inbounds the ball to his teammate and then runs up the sideline out-of-bounds about 15-20 feet and then comes on the court. He passed behind the official as he was running up the sideline out-of-bounds. Did the official hand him the ball on the wrong side?

I thought it should have been called, but not really a big advantage gained. They were walking the ball up the court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Unless I'm seeing this wrong in my head, I wouldn't call this.

NFHS 10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds. PENALTY: (Section 3) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Adam:

I do not understand why you would not call this TF?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Probably ... I can't see how this could happen otherwise. Official should be trailing the play, on the side closer to the opponents basket than the thrower is. An official who doesn't know what side of the thrower to administer the throw in probably has no clue about the rule involving a delay in returning to the court.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
NFHS 10-3-2: A player shall not: Purposely and/or deceitfully delay returning after legally being out of bounds. PENALTY: (Section 3) Two free throws plus ball for division-line throw-in.

Adam:

I do not understand why you would not call this TF?

MTD, Sr.
I may or may not depending on the play.

If the player throws the ball in and the play is 20 feet ahead of him and he lazily trots down the sideline (OOB) and eventually comes back in such that he is no part of the play, I'm not calling anything.

On the other hand, if there is a throwin on the endline and the player runs across the endline after throwing the ball in and pops inbounds to receive a return pass for an open shot....getting that.

The case/rule talks about "Purposely and/or deceitfully". If I don't see a purpose or deceit in the player's actions, no T. Lazy or sloppy is not purposeful or deceitful.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Feb 02, 2015 at 03:46pm.
Old Mon Feb 02, 2015, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I may or may not depending on the play.

If the player throws the ball in and the play is 20 feet ahead of him and he lazily trots down the sideline (OOB) and eventually comes back in such that he is no part of the play, I'm not calling anything.

On the other hand, if there is a throwin on the endline and the player runs across the endline after throwin the ball in and pops inbounds to receive a return pass for an open shot....getting that.

The case/rule talks about "Purposely and/or deceitfully". If I don't see a purpose or deceit in the player's actions, no T. Lazy or sloppy is not purposeful or deceitful.
THAT'S what I'm picturing, and your reasoning matches my own.

The fact that the official was on the wrong side of the thrower just makes it look worse.