The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffafox View Post
I had a situation like this where I gave the coach the benefit of the doubt. If i see a coach that I officiated before, I will always say it's nice to see you again and it seems to lighten the mood. However, my partner, who is a really nice guy, was having some difficulty making and defending his calls. Even I was surprised by some of them.

This coach started getting really upset and in order to try and diffuse the situation, I would force switches and worked on calming him down. Well, eventually I had to give him a warning. He was cussing and calling my partner every name in the book. I could have T'd him up right there but I held off.

My partner made another call and this coach walked on the floor. I knew my partner was going to T him up. He called it, and I immediately gave him the ball to administer the technical and I went to this coach and told him I warned him. He was still yelling at me and my partner for the next game said for me to toss him, which I didn't.

I don't regret not calling a technical or tossing him. I was actually praised by my elevator who I didn't know was there in how I handled the situation. I feel bad that i didn't defend my partner more but I made sure I supported him, even if there were some bad calls.
The coach was cursing your partner out, in your ear, and you didn't call the T?

OK
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 11:55am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I was actually praised by my elevator
So you knew the right buttons to push?
Old Mon Jan 26, 2015, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a situation like this where I gave the coach the benefit of the doubt. If i see a coach that I officiated before, I will always say it's nice to see you again and it seems to lighten the mood. However, my partner, who is a really nice guy, was having some difficulty making and defending his calls. Even I was surprised by some of them.

This coach started getting really upset and in order to try and diffuse the situation, I would force switches and worked on calming him down. Well, eventually I had to give him a warning. He was cussing and calling my partner every name in the book. I could have T'd him up right there but I held off.

My partner made another call and this coach walked on the floor. I knew my partner was going to T him up. He called it, and I immediately gave him the ball to administer the technical and I went to this coach and told him I warned him. He was still yelling at me and my partner for the next game said for me to toss him, which I didn't.

I don't regret not calling a technical or tossing him. I was actually praised by my elevator who I didn't know was there in how I handled the situation. I feel bad that i didn't defend my partner more but I made sure I supported him, even if there were some bad calls.
I may be in the minority here but a coaches singular comment from the OP of "you and your partner should have worked this by yourselves" would not necessarily be an automatic T for me. Depending on the game/coach/partner I may ignore it or simply say something like, "coach we're not going to do that."

However, if a coach is cursing a partner in your ear and "calling him every name in the book" then I think you really have to address and penalize such behavior.

And I pre-game that when we stick a coach, we all need to get and stay away in that moment. Nothing good comes out of talking to a coach in that situation IMO. If you warned him he already knows that. He also knows he has lost his box. I've seen other officials going to chat with a coach after a partner has stuck him and it further escalate the situation resulting in, IMO, quick avoidable ejections or the appearance that the non calling official is the shoulder to cry/lean on. Again, IMO nothing good comes from going over to talk to a coach after a partner Ts him.