The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Partner... What are you doing?

Just a rant
16U, 2-umpire mechanics, I was BU and the first time I worked with the PU. I called a runner out per the look back rule. The coach came out to discuss the call. He asked me to get help. I told him that I did not need help because I had all the elements of the play in front of me, and in my judgment she was out. He didn’t agree, but moved on (good coach).
After the 3rd out the coach is walking back to his dugout and my partner walks up to him and gives him his 2 cents about the play. I am thinking to myself WTF the play (and inning) is over, why is he talking to the coach about the call I made? I went up to him and told him he doesn’t need to explain my call to the coach. He told me he was just backing me up and trying to cool the coach down. I told him if I needed help I would have come to him right after the call, and all he did was inflame the coach.

I found out this is only his 2nd season. I hope he learned something.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

hmmmm

I think you might have been a little touchy. So long as he wasnt selling you down the river, and doesnt sound like he did, chill. He's your partner, not your property.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
I called a runner out per the look back rule.

After the 3rd out the coach is walking back to his dugout and my partner walks up to him and gives him his 2 cents about the play.

Two questions:

1. Just curious what was the lookout call situation? Not insinuating you missed it or anything, just curious.

2. Now to what the PU did. Was the coach still griping about your call after the inning? Did the coach ask the PU anything about the call before he starting discussing it? If the PU went out of his way to discuss a situation that wasn't being cussed or discussed anymore then he was wrong. If the coach was still grumbling then I would say the PU took ur side and let the coach know you were right and that it was time to move on.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I am double curious. What is a lookout call situation?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post

LOL typing too fast again. LOOKBACK
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a rant
16U, 2-umpire mechanics, I was BU and the first time I worked with the PU. I called a runner out per the look back rule. The coach came out to discuss the call. He asked me to get help. I told him that I did not need help because I had all the elements of the play in front of me, and in my judgment she was out. He didn’t agree, but moved on (good coach).
After the 3rd out the coach is walking back to his dugout and my partner walks up to him and gives him his 2 cents about the play. I am thinking to myself WTF the play (and inning) is over, why is he talking to the coach about the call I made? I went up to him and told him he doesn’t need to explain my call to the coach. He told me he was just backing me up and trying to cool the coach down. I told him if I needed help I would have come to him right after the call, and all he did was inflame the coach.

I agree - your partner was out of line - especially with partner approaching coach. Depending on how well you dealt with him, he'll learn something & have a lot of respect for your teaching or he'll avoid you like the plague.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
That's what you here when someone accidently kicks a rock off of the Lover's Leap at Rock City. That's why they call it Lookout Mountain, right?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Example: I'm PU, see you make a close call on the bases. At the end of the inning the coach, who I know, walks past grumbling about your call- loud enough for me to hear. I make a "partner support" comment to cool him down/keep him in the game, then you walk up and "chew" me out.
Both coaches, all players and fans see us talk after the inning w/a close controversial play- probably thinking "Oh, that call was blown".

Not sure how many years you have--hope you learned something
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Example: I'm PU, see you make a close call on the bases. At the end of the inning the coach, who I know, walks past grumbling about your call- loud enough for me to hear. I make a "partner support" comment to cool him down/keep him in the game, then you walk up and "chew" me out.
Both coaches, all players and fans see us talk after the inning w/a close controversial play- probably thinking "Oh, that call was blown".

Not sure how many years you have--hope you learned something
I'm with you on this one. Usually I know the coaches. Its part of game management to be a supportive team. If I can say something to make the game go smoother because I know the coach or can make it be better, then I'm going to. And if you don't like it, tough crap. If I throw you under the bus, then you can rightfully be pissed.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Look back... In this situation runner rounds 2nd finds the ball in the pitcher's position and she is in the circle. The runner did not immediately go back to second. I am not one that jumps on this call, but she just stood there way too long, and as I was starting to single dead ball the pitcher made a move (this is what the coach saw) and the runner on third started to leave her base. Arch to answer your other question I've done this long enough to remember when there was no look back rule or circle.

Wade... and arch... We disagree here and that is fine. It is my stance that there is no reason to bring back up something by me or my partner, but especially my partner since he was not part of the conversation on the field and had no clue what was said. It usually just fuels the flames, and if the coach is grumbling under his breath... let him.

As for my partner... I could have explained my stance better. I think I will give him a call.

Last edited by vcblue; Mon Nov 17, 2008 at 03:58pm.