The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I let my partner down. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/99142-i-let-my-partner-down.html)

jeremy341a Sat Jan 24, 2015 03:12pm

I let my partner down.

Partner 1 gives t to coach for complaining in quarter 1 Partner 2 gives t to player on same team in 4th quarter. With 2 min to go and down 25. Coach says as I'm walking away. You and partner 1 should have worked the game by yourselves. I didn't pull the trigger and now regret it. I should have stood up for my partner. Confession over.

Adam Sat Jan 24, 2015 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 951950)
Partner 1 gives t to coach for complaining in quarter 1 Partner 2 gives t to player on same team in 4th quarter. With 2 min to go and down 25. Coach says as I'm walking away. You and partner 1 should have worked the game by yourselves. I didn't pull the trigger and now regret it. I should have stood up for my partner. Confession over.

As an E-8 once asked me following a particularly embarrasing incident, "Lesson learned?" :D

jeremy341a Sat Jan 24, 2015 03:35pm

So much in fact I have spent all day working on a time machine.

Mark Padgett Sat Jan 24, 2015 04:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 951952)
So much in fact I have spent all day working on a time machine.

http://files.tested.com/photos/2014/...me-machine.gif

DerekTall Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:29pm

I know the feeling. I've actually never given a technical foul, even though there were times I considered it. I always try and be tolerant in order to maintain a flow to the game, but sometimes I feel like I let players/coaches get away with to much.

Welpe Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:35pm

I can't relive this again. The FB group is going to give me a stroke. :D

I said a lot on there but I will say this, I passed on a T in a similar circumstance (though it would've been the first) and I've regretted it to this day.

Rob1968 Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:59pm

What your partner does'nt know will not haunt him/her. Perhaps your feelings of regret are best overcome by resolving to learn from that instance, and adjust your determination to handle such a case differently, in the future. That is the way we go through life -

circumstance -- re-action -- evaluation -- adjustment -- commitment --
new circumstance -- new re-action -- evaluation --

and on it goes. There is great satisfaction in experiencing a more favorable outcome the second time. Don't be so hard on yourself.

AremRed Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:19am

A couple years ago someone on this forum told me that the only techs you remember are the ones you regret calling. I took this to heart and called a shit ton of techs that year. I've calmed down somewhat but there are still a couple from this year that are nagging at me.

Adam Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerekTall (Post 952003)
I know the feeling. I've actually never given a technical foul, even though there were times I considered it. I always try and be tolerant in order to maintain a flow to the game, but sometimes I feel like I let players/coaches get away with to much.

I've had more conversations with assigners about technical fouls that should have been called, but weren't, than I have had about technical fouls I called that I shouldn't have (I've actually had zero of these conversations).

Around here, bad coaching behavior often makes its way back to the assigner, and this comment is no different.

Rich Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20pm

I've been on the court for 4 head coach technicals this season. I've called one myself. Two of the other ones were called by partners who were in a better position than me to call them, but they were well deserved. The fourth may not have happened if the places on the floor were switched and I was in front of the coach, but the coach pushed a partner's button just the right way and paid for it.

A friend who also officiates simply can't understand that -- he's called one in 15 years. Thinks it's all so unnecessary. Wonders how our games are different than his.

The response from one of my regular partners was just perfect:

"No different than any other game. We just don't put up with bullshit."

(That said, I hadn't called one in 3 years before the one I called earlier this season. I don't run out there looking for them, but I don't miss too many, either.)

BoomerSooner Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 951954)

Reminds of one of my all-time favorite time machine related lines:

What do we need? A time machine.
When do we need it? Irrelevant.

I'm not sure if this was from a movie, but a coworker said it to me and I laughed at that for rest of the day.

jeremy341a Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 952007)
What your partner does'nt know will not haunt him/her. Perhaps your feelings of regret are best overcome by resolving to learn from that instance, and adjust your determination to handle such a case differently, in the future. That is the way we go through life -

circumstance -- re-action -- evaluation -- adjustment -- commitment --
new circumstance -- new re-action -- evaluation --

and on it goes. There is great satisfaction in experiencing a more favorable outcome the second time. Don't be so hard on yourself.

I told him and apologized after the game.

jeremy341a Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 952004)
I can't relive this again. The FB group is going to give me a stroke. :D

There are many conversations on there that amaze me. I bet I've read "he wasn't set" on there 100 times this month.

Rob1968 Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy341a (Post 952189)
I told him and apologized after the game.

Well done!

buffafox Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:49am

No Regrets!!!

I had a situation like this where I gave the coach the benefit of the doubt. If i see a coach that I officiated before, I will always say it's nice to see you again and it seems to lighten the mood. However, my partner, who is a really nice guy, was having some difficulty making and defending his calls. Even I was surprised by some of them.

This coach started getting really upset and in order to try and diffuse the situation, I would force switches and worked on calming him down. Well, eventually I had to give him a warning. He was cussing and calling my partner every name in the book. I could have T'd him up right there but I held off.

My partner made another call and this coach walked on the floor. I knew my partner was going to T him up. He called it, and I immediately gave him the ball to administer the technical and I went to this coach and told him I warned him. He was still yelling at me and my partner for the next game said for me to toss him, which I didn't.

I don't regret not calling a technical or tossing him. I was actually praised by my elevator who I didn't know was there in how I handled the situation. I feel bad that i didn't defend my partner more but I made sure I supported him, even if there were some bad calls.