The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday I had to do a modified level game. (7th, 8th, and 9th grade) Fed rules. I was partnered with someone who I never worked with before. Before the game started I went over everything we sould have and I asked him how many games he had done this year so far. He said 8 or 9, and he had umpired a number of years ago then moved away and decided this year to start up again. I thus assumed he was somewhat experienced and didn't forsee any rookie mistakes. Boy was I wrong. I asked him who he worked with and I didn't reccognize any of the names he said. He is considered a 1st year probationary umpire in our association. He had the plate. I knew I was in trouble in the first inning when the bases were loaded, 2 outs, 3rd strike was dropped by the catcher, batter starts to run to first and I hear him say "batter is out, 1st base is occupied." Both coaches said nothing. Couple innings later, batter hits a roller up the first base line. One of those rollers with lots of spin on it. As the ball is continuing to spin up the line, I hear him call "Foul Ball." The ball keeps spinning and ends up in fair territory. Again coaches say nothing. Someone in the stands does yell out that he can't call that foul if the ball is still rolling, everyone knows that! The topper happens a couple innings later. R2, R3, batter hits a slow roller up the third base line. The ball starts out foul but turns fair and hits smack dab in the middle of third base. R3 scores but about 5 seconds after the ball hits the base I hear my partner call "Foul Ball!" I was stunned. I couldn't believe he didn't see the ball hit the base. He was looking right at it and it was obvious. It was a slow roller that hit the middle of the base and bounced straight up and landed back on the base. The coach of the offensive team is coaching 3rd base and the play is right in front of him. He of course yells "What!? The ball hit the bag! You know it hit the bag!" Partner says nothing, coach looks at me in A and says you saw it hit the bag. I look at my partner he doesn't even look at me so I just stand there and say nothing. The coach then approaches my partner and askes him why he called that foul when the ball hit the bag. My partner tells him yes, it did hit the bag but the bag is in foul territory because the base is just a little to the left of the foul line. Coach says what are you talking about the base is fair!? My partner shook his head and said no, it is a foul ball. Fans go nuts, I want to run and hide. I am embarrased to be on the field with this guy. Should I have corrected these calls even though he never asked for any help from me? What do you guys do when you are partnered with someone who obviously has no business being an umpire?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

You can correct a misapplication of a rule.

But there is also a rule that says if an umpire says FOUL BALL, the ball is dead. The bell can't be unrung.

The assignor needs to know that this guy needs more training and a test before he gets back on the field. The rules he's making up aren't even old rules that went away - they are simply wrong.

PS - why didn't coach protest (on any or all of the three).
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I realize that once he called foul I couldn't do anything. The play when the ball hit the bag was so obvious to everyone that the play actually continued the way it was supposed to after he called foul. The batter ran to first and stayed there, R3 scored, R2 stayed at second and the third baseman fielded the ball, looked around and knew he had no play so tossed the ball back to the pitcher. I could have said wrong thats fair run counts batter/runner stays at first. This guy was required to pass a test this year before the season started. We also use evaluation cards that all probationary umpires are required to have filled out by their certified partners. This guy actually was stupid enough to give me one after the game. I am going to call our assigner about him and also tell him not to partner me up with him again. I guess the coaches didn't protest because it was just a modified game that really doesn't mean anything. I wanted to go up to both coaches after the game and tell them how sorry I was about the poor quality official we provided for them but I thought better of it and didn't. I give both coaches all the credit in the world. They could have been all over us but both acted like gentlemen all afternoon and I am thankful for that.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

if its that bad, let him handle the heat. And make sure you never work with him again.

Speaking of bad umps, I saw a BU signal 'time' with the "T" motion (like in basketball) last week

[edited to add a sentence]

[Edited by LMan on May 18th, 2005 at 12:16 PM]
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
You can correct a misapplication of a rule.

But there is also a rule that says if an umpire says FOUL BALL, the ball is dead. The bell can't be unrung.

The assignor needs to know that this guy needs more training and a test before he gets back on the field. The rules he's making up aren't even old rules that went away - they are simply wrong.

PS - why didn't coach protest (on any or all of the three).
I've seen the bell unrung, I saw it in the majors at the beginning of last season.

Runner at second, batter hits a ball down the first base line that 1st base umpire calls foul. Manager comes out to argue, the crew gets together, change it to a fair ball, place the batter at second and score the runner.

So, in the majors at least, there is precedent to unring the bell.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Thats OBR, this is FED.

In FED, you can't unring that bell. Once its called FOUL, its foul.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
I've seen the bell unrung, I saw it in the majors at the beginning of last season.

Runner at second, batter hits a ball down the first base line that 1st base umpire calls foul. Manager comes out to argue, the crew gets together, change it to a fair ball, place the batter at second and score the runner.

The Federation specifically prohibits that.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 12:36pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:

LDUB,

I can see where a verbal "Foul Ball" make the ball dead immediately. [5-1-1h]

But R3 scored [5-2-2c], R2 is still at 2b (probably)
R1 is safe by [8-1-2b].

So now we have a "dead ball" misapplication of Rule.
By what rule may we not make it right?
It does not seem the "Foul!" call affected any part of the play during unrelaxed action.

mick

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a training issue.

I love it when people get on here and complain about there rookie partners. Then the replies come back to "make sure to never work with him again."

Im glad when i started some of the vets didnt take that aproach with me. I made some real dumb errors, instead of never working with me again, they made sure i was properly trained.

What you should do is maybe talk to your head training guy about your situation. Ask him if there is anything else you can do to help train some of the new guys. Get involved with the solution, dont disregard the poor guy for his lack of knowledge of the rules.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Here, here WGYWB!!

As a relative rookie myself, I couldn't agree with you more. Don't embarass me on the field (I can do that on my own, LOL) but certainly I'm open to constructive criticism. If things aren't explained to me, I won't learn!!

Thanx for your input, Blue.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
Quote:

LDUB,

I can see where a verbal "Foul Ball" make the ball dead immediately. [5-1-1h]

But R3 scored [5-2-2c], R2 is still at 2b (probably)
R1 is safe by [8-1-2b].

So now we have a "dead ball" misapplication of Rule.
By what rule may we not make it right?
It does not seem the "Foul!" call affected any part of the play during unrelaxed action.

mick

Mick,

Have you seen the following "enhanced" FED Official Interpretation, brand new for 2005?

"SITUATION 3: With one out and a 1-1 count, the batter hits a high fly ball in left field near the foul line. The umpire declares “Foul Ball” as the fly ball is subsequently caught by the left fielder. RULING: Once the umpire verbally declares “Foul Ball,” the ball is dead and treated as foul ball. The batter will return to bat with a 1-2 count and still one out. (5-1-1h)"

No, I most certainly did NOT make this up!!! Go to the FED website and see for yourself.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...Footer=BB_FOOT

I believe this ruling clearly supports LDUB's assertion. So, under FED, we have R3's run nullified, R2 back at 2B and the batter back at the plate with a strike possibly added to his count.

Or am I misreading this interpretation? (God, I sure hope so!!!)

JM
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

WGYWB??
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Large,

WGYWB = What Game You Watchin Blue

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Coach - you are not reading this wrong.

It's stupid, absurd, any number of similar adjectives...

But this is Fed's interp this year. "Foul Ball!!!" equals DEAD ball, even if subsequently caught.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueinLINY
Here, here WGYWB!!

As a relative rookie myself, I couldn't agree with you more. Don't embarass me on the field (I can do that on my own, LOL) but certainly I'm open to constructive criticism. If things aren't explained to me, I won't learn!!

Thanx for your input, Blue.
I am not saying I don't help out rookies or umpires with less experiance than me. And I certainly did not embarass my partner but believe me I could have if I wanted to. In fact I went out of my way to NOT embarass my partner. What I was totaly upset about was the fact that my partner, after at least 8 games, didn't know basic things such as what is a foul ball and what is a fair ball, and at what time to call it. I went home and asked my 14 year old daughter what the proper call is on the three situations and she knew the right call on all three. If this guy is so ignorant to the basic rules of baseball that my 14 year old daughter knows more than him than he has no business being on the field until he gains the knowledge. He has to take some responsibility to be prepared to make the correct calls according to the rules. I can excuse judgement calls I don't agree with but basic stuff like foul balls I was embarrassed.