The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

partner you did not like

Have you ever had a partner that rubbed you the wrong way or just did not like working with.
example...doing a j.v. game last night and partner i never worked with shows up half way thru the 2nd quarter..so here i am running uop and down the court all by myself and he shows up and joins in.
after i make a foul call and a jump ball call, he comes over and says i made a couple calls that should have been jump and a couple should have been fouls..as he states,,,thar's what they do in varsity games!! to which i do varsity.
yet thru the rest of the game the teams are reaching, fouling and hacking...he calls nothing as game is getting out of control.. finally i call fouls right in front of his posisition to get control of game back..the only thing he is concerned with is me running over to certain spots or change spots when he makes a call.he could inbound the ball where he is, yet holds up the game for me to run across court to inbound when it's 2 feet from baseline as he is lead.....first time ever would not work with a guy again...
more intrested on showing mechanics than calling a game correctly.
watched him do other game after me and had to leave after 1st quarter has he missed tons of calls...
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Not that I understood even half of what you were trying to say, but do you feel better now after getting that out in the open? Everyone works with partners they don't like. Move on to the next game.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:14pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Get in, get done, get out.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Did you remind the guy of ALL the calls he missed in the first quarter and a half?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Can you really start a game with only one official?

I agree with get in get done get out - but unless there is a REAL emergency I would be livid if a guy showed up in middle of 2nd quarter!

I'd let the association know.

This year I was showering after JV game (seperate officials for Jv/Varsity) and AD told us to get dressed. No V officials. Went out - did pregame conference. Had to get game going. V officials got there with 3 min to go in 2nd Q. They were going to dress and replace us. AD showed them the door and we finished game. I don't understand how guys can be that late and not have courtesy to call.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
Can you really start a game with only one official?

I agree with get in get done get out - but unless there is a REAL emergency I would be livid if a guy showed up in middle of 2nd quarter!

I'd let the association know.

This year I was showering after JV game (seperate officials for Jv/Varsity) and AD told us to get dressed. No V officials. Went out - did pregame conference. Had to get game going. V officials got there with 3 min to go in 2nd Q. They were going to dress and replace us. AD showed them the door and we finished game. I don't understand how guys can be that late and not have courtesy to call.
Nice job by the AD. I can't believe someone would show to any game late, let alone a varisty game.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I got to a game late this year. Only second time ever in hundreds of games -- football, volleyball, and basketball. Unfortunately, it was unavoidable, as I've been to the site several times this year for football and basketball and knew exactly how long it would take. However, a wreck was blocking an area where there was no offramps or possible side roads. What should have taken less than a minute took 40 minutes. The wreck was in the absolute worst possible location. Had it been a quarter mile in either direction, things would have been slow, but still flowed.

Traffic in my area is horrendous and only getting worse. Another time this year, a torrential downpour and resulting traffic jams made me later than I wanted, but at least I got there before the V school! Its getting to where starting the first of 2 games at 6:00 is too early.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 04:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I got to a game late this year. Only second time ever in hundreds of games -- football, volleyball, and basketball. Unfortunately, it was unavoidable, as I've been to the site several times this year for football and basketball and knew exactly how long it would take. However, a wreck was blocking an area where there was no offramps or possible side roads. What should have taken less than a minute took 40 minutes. The wreck was in the absolute worst possible location. Had it been a quarter mile in either direction, things would have been slow, but still flowed.

Traffic in my area is horrendous and only getting worse. Another time this year, a torrential downpour and resulting traffic jams made me later than I wanted, but at least I got there before the V school! Its getting to where starting the first of 2 games at 6:00 is too early.
I was late once, fortunately it was the only JV/V doubleheader we do in our association and it was 3-man so my partners were able to start the JV game without me. Game was at a site where for me it's closer to take a ferry across the river. Unfortunately the largest ferry was out of service beginning Monday of that week. What normally would have taken about 40 minutes took over an 1 1/2 hours. Got there at the beginning of the 2nd quarter (6 minutes quarter for JV).
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by clips2
Have you ever had a partner that rubbed you the wrong way or just did not like working with.
example...doing a j.v. game last night and partner i never worked with shows up half way thru the 2nd quarter..so here i am running uop and down the court all by myself and he shows up and joins in.
after i make a foul call and a jump ball call, he comes over and says i made a couple calls that should have been jump and a couple should have been fouls..as he states,,,thar's what they do in varsity games!! ..
Should have told him in varsity they show up an hour before the tip, not 10 minutes after.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Its getting to where starting the first of 2 games at 6:00 is too early.
In the Dc metro area you have to leave at least 3 hours before game time to get to a 6Pm game. and an hour before for pregame.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Fortunately, I live in Houston where we have no traffic problems. Matter of fact, if you have a flat, blow a radiator hose, etc. you can pull off to the side of the road, fix it, and get back into the same space you were in, because nobody has moved in all that time.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ha, that is the truth. LOL
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Get in, get done, get out.
Well, that's not very romantic on Valentines Day, Scrappy.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
In the Dc metro area you have to leave at least 3 hours before game time to get to a 6Pm game. and an hour before for pregame.
Concur Ref - I can't take some games here in N VA as I just "can't get there from here." I've had a partner that's always late and have had to start several MS games by myself. Not the same as JV or V, but it still ticks me off just the same.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2007, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, that's not very romantic on Valentines Day, Scrappy.
Funny... Very Funny.