The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I had a situation at camp that I forgot to mention here, but I wanted to hear different opinions on how to handle it.

Three-whistle crew. I am C. A1 shoots a long jumper from the Trail's area. Lead blows whistle, fist up, and announces "No shot!". Ball (of course) swishes through the basket.

I had no idea who the foul was on, but I was 100% sure that the whistle blew while the shot was in the air. Did the foul actually occur before the shot? I didn't think so, but I thought we ought to make sure exactly what happened.

So, here's what I did, and please feel free to give alternative approaches. I sprinted into the lane to prevent the official from going to the table. When I got to him, I said, "Ask yourself if the shot was in the air". He thought and realized that it was in the air and then went to the table and told them to score the basket. This was camp, so I didn't know him and didn't want to "overrule" him or tell him "the basket is good".

Anything I should've, or could've, done differently, more diplomatically? Any better wording I could've used?

Chuck
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

"Are you sure the shot wasn't good?" might have been less confrontational. Then, you could have proceeded from there.
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
I think that due to the fact that the way you approached it worked, then it was fine. However, most times you might get a different reaction. "What do mean ask myself?!?" followed by something else! #@**&*#. My own feeling is that the direct approach is best. If you knew (100%) that the shot was in the air, come in and tell your partner. If he/she still questions, then say "I will take full responsibility for it",
if that still doesn't work, then your partner has bigger problems than you can solve!;D
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I agree with Drake that a more direct aproach would be necessary. I have always been told that when we come to a partner with information to add you don't want to come with questions or say something like don't you think or how come you did this or why not try this or any other wishy washy comment. I would say this "Steve, I am 100% that the ball was released when your whistle blew" assuming Steve is his name. This gives him the choice to do whatever he wants. He might come back with "Well, your right but I had a late whistle on it and the foul actually occurred before the release" or "Wow, was it really released, so you think I should score it." If Steve is offended by your direct approach he needs to quit officiating. Now Steve should be upset if you said it loud enough that several others here it or if you try to dominate the conversation and don't let him make the final choice. Remember, it's his play so all you can do is give your input and let him make the final decision. If your still convinced he is doing the wrong thing then say "Steve, I will take full responsibility on this play." That means if the supervisor has a ***** then you are taking the heat and Steve should give in because you are willing to take the heat and he is off the hook. If that doesn't work then back off in a manner like you totally agree with him, not in a manner that your pissed that he didn't go with your decision because players and coaches can read that on your face. Whatever happens, never get into a argument with your partner just let it go and talk about it after the game.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I have always been taught simply to tell the official who made the call either "the ball went in" or 'the ball didn't go in" and leave it at that. It's the caller's decision to decide whether the basket scores or not. In your case had he/she not counted the basket and there was an uproar then a good official should come to his/her partner and discuss it- only if the caller is unsure.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 04:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
I have always been taught simply to tell the official who made the call either "the ball went in" or 'the ball didn't go in" and leave it at that. It's the caller's decision to decide whether the basket scores or not. In your case had he/she not counted the basket and there was an uproar then a good official should come to his/her partner and discuss it- only if the caller is unsure.
Peter,the official had already made the decision that the shot didn't score in this case.Chuck was sure that that the whistle came after the ball was in the air.It's more a matter of getting the call right than waiting to see if there's an uproar.I think that Chuck was right to immediately offer his assistance on the play.I also agree with Eli on the way he would have handled it.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yeah, afterward, I knew it was too confrontational, or condescending. But at the moment, I didn't want to rush in and be the "know-it-all" and seem like I was telling him what he had to do. Next time, I will take Eli's approach and just tell my partner what I know. "The ball was in the air when your whistle blew." Hey, that's what camp is for, right? Thanks, guys

Chuck
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

This is something that can be talked about in the pre-game. It is usually an out of bounds situation, but it would also apply here. We don't always pre-game in camp, but we should. The fact that you addressed the situation is good, and if I was the calling official, I would have no problem with your actions.