The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Called my first T

We always remember our first, right?

Final 7 seconds, home team is out of timeouts and down 4 in a very tense game; home team inbounds and knocks down a 3 with less than 5 seconds to play, so H12 grabs the ball and chucks it, literally, into the second level of seats. Whack. Home bench is whining because they think they are entitled to a DOG warning. Home coach was livid, and pretty much begging for another T, but with 1 second left and the one T already called, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.

This was one of those games that was a blast to officiate for about 30 of the minutes, but the last 2 were a nightmare. The emotions from both sides elevate and no matter what we call/don't call we are going to hear about it. I actually felt like I stayed focused and calm, so I'm good with my game. Although I'm sure because of our state's coach-based evaluation system I will get slammed.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

What you could have (and probably should have) done is just let the clock wind down to zero and game over. The rules allow for that in this exact situation. Calling the T, even though unlikely, still gives H the opportunity to tie or win the game on some kind of crazy steal and shot off the inbound pass from the throw-in following the T.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post

Final 7 seconds, home team is out of timeouts and down 4 in a very tense game; home team inbounds and knocks down a 3 with less than 5 seconds to play, so H12 grabs the ball and chucks it, literally, into the second level of seats. Whack. Home bench is whining because they think they are entitled to a DOG warning. Home coach was livid, and pretty much begging for another T, but with 1 second left and the one T already called, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.
I would personally get away from the line of thinking of not giving a T or a ejecting a T because it would "give the [coach] satisfaction."

Often times, there are state sanctions that come along with an ejection. If a coach is skirting these punishments because of officials thinking the coach is going to get some type of satisfaction, then we're doing ourselves a disservice. Sometimes, all it takes is a 1-2 game suspension to change a coach's future actions.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
We always remember our first, right?

This was one of those games that was a blast to officiate for about 30 of the minutes, but the last 2 were a nightmare. The emotions from both sides elevate and no matter what we call/don't call we are going to hear about it. I actually felt like I stayed focused and calm, so I'm good with my game. Although I'm sure because of our state's coach-based evaluation system I will get slammed.
I don't care what a coach may get out of anything I call. I call what needs to. As stated before you could have just let time run out and end the game. In my experience that would probably create some after game crap that would then become a letter to the assignor and your local rep. It is what it is. You were in a pickle either way.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Often times, there are state sanctions that come along with an ejection. If a coach is skirting these punishments because of an official thinking the coach is going to get some type of satisfaction, then we're doing ourselves a disservice. Sometimes, all it takes is a 1-2 game suspension to change a coach's future actions.
In Texas, if a coach is ejected, he has to go to Austin (which may be a very long ride depending on where you live) to face the state governing board. They will get probation or a suspension depending on certain factors, I believe. I had my first coach ejection in a holiday tourney a few weeks ago and I know he was not looking forward to the trip.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
In Texas, if a coach is ejected, he has to go to Austin (which may be a very long ride depending on where you live) to face the state governing board. They will get probation or a suspension depending on certain factors, I believe. I had my first coach ejection in a holiday tourney a few weeks ago and I know he was not looking forward to the trip.
So the punishment in Texas is a trip to Austin . Who wouldn't want to go?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
As stated before you could have just let time run out and end the game. In my experience that would probably create some after game crap that would then become a letter to the assignor and your local rep. It is what it is. You were in a pickle either way.
At least you have the explicit rule to back you up in this case. Things might get ugly at the site as well with the coach sure to throw a complete fit as you're just allowing time to run off. And what if the home timer stops the clock when the kid tosses the ball into the stands? The whole scenario has the potential to be a clusterf***.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the other team was trying to throw the ball in, call the T. If they were going to let the clock run out, let the clock run (per the case play).

Throwing it into the stands isn't going to be a DOG warning at any point in the game, anyway. If you call the T and the coach shows his ass, give him his own T regardless of whether you want to give him the satisfaction.

I had this play in a freshman game a few years ago, but instead of throwing the ball, the team who scored simply stepped OOB hoping for a call. My partner rightly ignored it, and I looked at the coach who just shrugged his shoulders and smiled.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
So the punishment in Texas is a trip to Austin . Who wouldn't want to go?
I'm pretty sure no coach wants to go during the basketball season. They don't take these things lightly.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I called in Texas (in Austin actually), I remember the punishment being something similar to what you said. Guess the mileage wouldn't be an issue for those in the area my chapter covered, but it's a time issue as well for the coach...plus the chance of suspension.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I called in Texas (in Austin actually), I remember the punishment being something similar to what you said. Guess the mileage wouldn't be an issue for those in the area my chapter covered, but's a time issue as well for the coach...plus the chance of suspension.
I think the probation period is a year so if they get tossed again within that year I think they get suspended for the season and maybe more - I don't really know. As it was, the team was from Round Rock (near Austin) so the trip for him to Austin wasn't that far, but I bet his trip home from the tourney in Dallas wasn't fun for him.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would personally get away from the line of thinking of not giving a T or a ejecting a T because it would "give the [coach] satisfaction."
Tony Greene gave Jim Boheim the satisfaction last year. Just sayin'...

My three-pronged criteria (that Nevadaref just loves) be damned in this situation. If the coach is making an extended mockery of you, eject him.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Wed Jan 21, 2015 at 12:04pm.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At least you have the explicit rule to back you up in this case. Things might get ugly at the site as well with the coach sure to throw a complete fit as you're just allowing time to run off. And what if the home timer stops the clock when the kid tosses the ball into the stands? The whole scenario has the potential to be a clusterf***.
Yeah, you're sort of darned if you do, darned if you don't. Speaking literally, interfering with the ball after a goal is the same as reaching over the plane, i.e. under five seconds, if its sole purpose is to get a DOG just to stop the clock, ignore it.

However, it's hard to ignore a ball that's chucked into the stands. That's unsporting in my opinion because it could be a safety hazard. So up to one's judgment in the moment on whether or not to call a T there. I think your action is defendable either way.

I just hope the offended team doesn't choke on the free throws and their free possession 42-47 feet closer to their basket. If they do, have them contact the Green Bay Packers front office for self-consolation advice.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yikes. That could be upwards of 500 or 600 miles one way I would think. That should be a deterrent in and of itself.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yikes. That could be upwards of 500 or 600 miles one way I would think. That should be a deterrent in and of itself.
9-10 hours each way from El Paso or Dalhart, 11-12 hours from Perryton.