View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
At least you have the explicit rule to back you up in this case. Things might get ugly at the site as well with the coach sure to throw a complete fit as you're just allowing time to run off. And what if the home timer stops the clock when the kid tosses the ball into the stands? The whole scenario has the potential to be a clusterf***.
Yeah, you're sort of darned if you do, darned if you don't. Speaking literally, interfering with the ball after a goal is the same as reaching over the plane, i.e. under five seconds, if its sole purpose is to get a DOG just to stop the clock, ignore it.

However, it's hard to ignore a ball that's chucked into the stands. That's unsporting in my opinion because it could be a safety hazard. So up to one's judgment in the moment on whether or not to call a T there. I think your action is defendable either way.

I just hope the offended team doesn't choke on the free throws and their free possession 42-47 feet closer to their basket. If they do, have them contact the Green Bay Packers front office for self-consolation advice.