Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
We always remember our first, right?

*ahhh, so you finally had a game that popped your cherry; yep we all rem'ber our first--some of us regret not calling the T when we should have done so---and that we re'mber also!

Final 7 seconds, home team is out of timeouts and down 4 in a very tense game; home team inbounds and knocks down a 3 with less than 5 seconds to play, so H12 grabs the ball and chucks it, literally, into the second level of seats. Whack. Home bench is whining because they think they are entitled to a DOG warning. Home coach was livid, and pretty much begging for another T, but with 1 second left and the one T already called, I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction.

This was one of those games that was a blast to officiate for about 30 of the minutes, but the last 2 were a nightmare. The emotions from both sides elevate and no matter what we call/don't call we are going to hear about it. I actually felt like I stayed focused and calm, so I'm good with my game. Although I'm sure because of our state's coach-based evaluation system I will get slammed.
*like most folks have said either way you were in a pickle, but I agree with your decision given the circumstances--congratulations.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 01:08pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If the other team was trying to throw the ball in, call the T. If they were going to let the clock run out, let the clock run (per the case play).
What's the case play number for this one?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
What's the case play number for this one?
See 5.10.1 Situation E and 9.2.10 Situation A.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
My three-pronged criteria (that Nevadaref just loves) be damned in this situation. If the coach is making an extended mockery of you, eject him.
I agree with this. He wasn't hopping up and down or running around on the sideline or anything. After I told them they were not entitled to a warning, he just told me I was wrong "like I have been all night". Which is funny, because he actually had very little to say until the final 2 minutes.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
9.2.10 Situation A.
9.2.10 SITUATION A: A1 is out of bounds for a throw-in. B1 reaches through
the boundary plane and knocks the ball out of A1’s hands. Team B has not been
warned previously for a throw-in plane infraction. RULING: B1 is charged with a
technical foul and it also results in the official having a team warning recorded
and reported to the head coach. COMMENT: In situations with the clock running
and five or less seconds left in the game, a throw-in plane violation or interfering
with the ball following a goal should be ignored if its only purpose is to stop the
clock. However, if the tactic in any way interferes with the thrower’s efforts to
make a throw-in, a technical foul for delay shall be called even though no previous
warning had been issued. In this situation, if the official stopped the clock
and issued a team warning, it would allow the team to benefit from the tactic. (4-
47-1; 10-1-5b, c; 10-3-10)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
In Texas, if a coach is ejected, he has to go to Austin (which may be a very long ride depending on where you live) to face the state governing board. They will get probation or a suspension depending on certain factors, I believe.
Only if he wants to appeal the ejection would a trip to Austin to appear in front of the committee be necessary. If he accepts the ejection then he gets a public reprimand (name published in the back of the UIL coaches magazine) and probation in that sport for 1 year. If he has not taken the required NFHS course then the penalty is automatically upgraded to include a game suspension. Has no bearing on the other sports he may coach.

Subsequent ejections while on probation will require that trip to Austin to have your punishment determined by the exec committee.

Since ADs hate to be associated with this process coaches are much more fearful of their wrath than that of the EC. I know several coaches who have been let go after repeated ejections because they were "embarassing" their programs.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2015, 10:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I agree with this. He wasn't hopping up and down or running around on the sideline or anything. After I told them they were not entitled to a warning, he just told me I was wrong "like I have been all night". Which is funny, because he actually had very little to say until the final 2 minutes.
Sorry, but this would have earned him a T from me. Why are we talking about ejecting, though? It's not flagrant.