The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

How would you have called this

(2-man Fresh boys) 2nd half and ball is in V Teams frontcourt. I am lead opposite table, and the ball is about 6ft in front of me close to the three point line. Shot is taken and clearly blocked by defensive player. Whistle by my partner and play stops. It took a couple of seconds for me to realize he had called a foul on try and not off ball. A bit of an eruption follows as you can imagine. I go over to him and ask him if he feels good about that call. I told him that I saw the whole play and there was no foul. Forget that he was looking where he shouldn't be for a second. Realizing he messed up he asked what we could do since he had already reported the foul. My response: IW and the AP since there is no team control on once the shot is on it's way. Of course the arrow is going the other way. So now the V team is losing the foul and the ball. Given the level of play we went with clearing out the foul and POI. The coach was still pi$$ed, but atleast I didn't have to wack him. If he would have lost the foul and the ball I am sure that is what would have happend. Bring it on.. PS This was the first of two games (Soph was next with same two coaches). Oh! and at half time of the second game one of the grandparents had a stroke. I thought we were calling a good game up to that point, but I guess I was wrong. Ambulance came and grandpa was good fine.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I'd have let him stand on his call. He can explain to the coach why he called what he called if he'd like. If coach asks me, I'd tell him to ask him. I sure wouldn't have stopped the game to go talk to my partner.

At the half or after the game (depending on when this was called) we'd have had a pretty good talk about why he called it, why he was looking there in the first place, and how we can prevent that from happening in the future.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:20am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm confused. You gave the ball to the V team, against the arrow? Poor choice, IMO.

"Coach, there was no foul on the play. We have to go to the arrow on this one." Give him a little rope to vent (not a lot), and play on.

That said, I would have let him live with it. We all have plays we want back (had a couple last night), it's a learning experience.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I admit I pussed out. I should have let him eat it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:31am
M.A.S.H.

I probably would have let him eat it and talked about it at halftime or post-game. Since you went to him and changed a call you could possibly open the door for the coach wanting you to get together on every call now that you've done it once. But, you learned from it...

I am a little confused about the arrow too. Who had the arrow before the "foul"?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie719 View Post
Given the level of play we went with clearing out the foul and POI.
No you didn't. Since there was no team control, the POI was the arrow.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Eat It?

First of all you are a TEAM out there. You don't let your partner "eat it". It's not an IW, it's a call albeit a bad one but you let it stand. Report it, administer and move on. Halftime or after the game you talk about it and hopefully he learns from it. It's not a blarge call so there is nothing to discuss on the court. You need to sell it as a team and not let any discusiion about a call that just happened give the coaches any reason to question your abilities.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(2-man Fresh boys) 2nd half and ball is in V Teams frontcourt. I am lead opposite table, and the ball is about 6ft in front of me close to the three point line. Shot is taken and clearly blocked by defensive player. Whistle by my partner and play stops. It took a couple of seconds for me to realize he had called a foul on try and not off ball. A bit of an eruption follows as you can imagine. I go over to him and ask him if he feels good about that call. I told him that I saw the whole play and there was no foul. Forget that he was looking where he shouldn't be for a second. Realizing he messed up he asked what we could do since he had already reported the foul. My response: IW and the AP since there is no team control on once the shot is on it's way. Of course the arrow is going the other way. So now the V team is losing the foul and the ball. Given the level of play we went with clearing out the foul and POI. The coach was still pi$$ed, but atleast I didn't have to wack him. If he would have lost the foul and the ball I am sure that is what would have happend. Bring it on.. PS This was the first of two games (Soph was next with same two coaches). Oh! and at half time of the second game one of the grandparents had a stroke. I thought we were calling a good game up to that point, but I guess I was wrong. Ambulance came and grandpa was good fine.

A card laid is a card played. Don't compound a bad judgement call trying to rectify it. You dug a deeper hole.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I probably would have let him eat it and talked about it at halftime or post-game. Since you went to him and changed a call you could possibly open the door for the coach wanting you to get together on every call now that you've done it once. But, you learned from it...

I am a little confused about the arrow too. Who had the arrow before the "foul"?
The arrow was going the other way. So he loses the shooting foul and the ball. I not saying what I did was correct. I know is wasn't. Either we correct the mistake and go with the arrow. Or I let him eat it. In hind site I should have went with letting him eat it.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
No you didn't. Since there was no team control, the POI was the arrow.
Yes your right as usual..what I meant was we gave them the ball out of bounds. POI was the wrong verbage.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Curiously, what happened to the ball after the shot was blocked?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:42am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
First of all you are a TEAM out there. You don't let your partner "eat it". It's not an IW, it's a call albeit a bad one but you let it stand. Report it, administer and move on. Halftime or after the game you talk about it and hopefully he learns from it. It's not a blarge call so there is nothing to discuss on the court. You need to sell it as a team and not let any discusiion about a call that just happened give the coaches any reason to question your abilities.
Eat it = let it stand... I'm certainly not implying "eating it" as in pointing out to everyone the call was incorrect and throwing him under the bus but letting it stand and moving on.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Dec 18, 2009 at 10:45am.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Curiously, what happened to the ball after the shot was blocked?
Whistle sounded right after he blocked and play stopped. One of the player grabbed the ball and gave it to me.
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The arrow was going the other way. So he loses the shooting foul and the ball. I not saying what I did was correct. I know is wasn't. Either we correct the mistake and go with the arrow. Or I let him eat it. In hind site I should have went with letting him eat it.
I would have let him eat it, but that all depends on how the other official is.

If I'm officiating with a rookie, and he makes a mistake, I simply just walk to him, tell him that he simply messed up, and then I'll go to the coaches and take the heat from them instead of the rookie.

If I'm officiating with an official that has been around for a while, and we get along, I'd talk with him.

Now if it's a stubborn, I'm-better-than-anyone kind of official, like who I was with last saturday for my buzzer shot before halftime situation, then I'd just let them eat it and walk away. If coaches ask me, I'll just simply say "Ask him/her, I didn't blow the whistle".
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Either we correct the mistake
The only mistake was that you decided to go talk him out of his call. He called a foul. Your job is not to go talk him out of the foul. If you want to talk about what he saw, save it for the locker room.