The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Using teammates to foul?

How would you call the foul when a teammate uses his teammate to foul the opposing team player, whether it's offensive or defensive, for example pushing his teammate bumping into the opponent, would you call it some unsportsmanship technical on the player pushing or the teammate whom got pushed into a foul?

For example B1 pushes B2 into contact with ball handler A1 to stop him from making a shot.

For example Ball handler A1 pushes A2 into B1 who is guarding A1.

For example A1 grabs A2 and pulls him in to block defender B1's path for a not so legal screen (insufficient space or moving screen).
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Foul on the player that ultimately ends up making contact on the opponent.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Foul on the player that ultimately ends up making contact on the opponent.
I agree. And I recently made such a call. When the offender told me that he got pushed, I told him it was his teammate that had pushed him - he hadn't realized that it was his teammate.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sun Jan 18, 2015 at 11:27pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Officials only penalize illegal actions.
Pushing or pulling a teammate is nothing. If that teammate makes illegal contact with an opponent, that is what gets whistled. The player who made the contact with the opponent gets charged with the foul. If he doesn't like it, he can complain to the teammate who pushed him.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2015, 11:18pm
Official Fiveum Member

Lightbulb

Too bad we can't also consider the pusher an "accessory" and give him half a foul.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

would you also give a flagrant & eject the player if the contact was too dangerous even though he didn't walk his way into the contact but pushed by the player, or will you just call a normal foul?

so in no way the pushing teammate will get called for a foul even if it's unsportsmanlike such as this?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 01:59am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post
would you also give a flagrant & eject the player if the contact was too dangerous even though he didn't walk his way into the contact but pushed by the player, or will you just call a normal foul?

so in no way the pushing teammate will get called for a foul even if it's unsportsmanlike such as this?

You're suggesting that a player might shove his own teammate with enough force to call a flagrant foul for the resulting contact with an opponent. All I can say is, when that happens, you post the video and we'll give it all the attention it deserves.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potato View Post

If A1 is airborne for a dunk or layup and B1 shoves B2 into A1 such that the contact takes out A1's legs and causes him to crash to the floor, I certainly would consider an intentional or flagrant foul on B2. Yes, the real fault lies with B1, but there is no rule permitting the official to penalize him for such an act.

Teammates may be penalized for committing unsporting behavior or acts of violence (fighting) against each other, but I don't see that as applying in the cases posited.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If A1 is airborne for a dunk or layup and B1 shoves B2 into A1 such that the contact takes out A1's legs and causes him to crash to the floor, I certainly would consider an intentional or flagrant foul on B2. Yes, the real fault lies with B1, but there is no rule permitting the official to penalize him for such an act.

Teammates may be penalized for committing unsporting behavior or acts of violence (fighting) against each other, but I don't see that as applying in the cases posited.
While the contact personal foul can only be charged to B2, I think the act of pushing a teammate into an opponent could be construed by the officials to be an unsporting technical foul the push is seen to be with clear intent to harm A1.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

What if B1 pushes an official into A1 while he is attempting a jumpshot?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
While the contact personal foul can only be charged to B2, I think the act of pushing a teammate into an opponent could be construed by the officials to be an unsporting technical foul the push is seen to be with clear intent to harm A1.
Consider the definition in 4-19-14. Is the context appropriate?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Mon Jan 19, 2015 at 02:53am.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if B1 pushes an official into A1 while he is attempting a jumpshot?
B1 is charged with a flagrant unsporting technical foul for disrespectfully contacting an official. If A1 is in the act of shooting when the foul occurs, continuous motion will apply and the ball will not become dead until the try ends. A goal may be scored in this circumstance. Team A will shoot two free throws and will be awarded a division-line throw-in. B1 will be disqualified.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Consider the definition in 4-19-14. Is the context appropriate?
Yes. Pushing a teammate in an effort to foul an opponent is an example of "...any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play."
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Rikardo View Post
Yes. Pushing a teammate in an effort to foul an opponent is an example of "...any behavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play."
That's not the part of the rule to which I was referring. Try "is a noncontact technical foul..."
Old Mon Jan 19, 2015, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's not the part of the rule to which I was referring. Try "is a noncontact technical foul..."
And as was pointed out as the reason you cannot call a personal foul on B1...he didn't contact A1.