The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Most points scored by 1 player on 1 play - 10/15/other?

Under NFHS rules, what are the most points that can be theoretically scored by one player on a single basketball play? Exclude repeated technical/intentional/flagrant fouls.

I was using Case book from 2008-2009. (case plays listed may be different in current books)

Based on (Multiple Foul) Case 4.19.11, it could be 10.
B1-B5 simultaneously foul A1 attempting an unsuccessful 3-point shot?
2x5 = 10

Based on (False Multiple Foul) Case 4.19.12, it could be 15.
B1-B5 foul A1, all at different times, attempting an unsuccessful 3-point shot?
3x5 = 15

For False Multiple Fouls, if it is always and only 2 shots for each foul, then it would be 10 and not 15.

Please confirm or disprove these thoughts. Looking for rule/case references only, not stuff like whether it could happen or anything along those lines.

Last edited by luvhoops; Tue Jan 13, 2015 at 04:56pm. Reason: Additional info
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhoops View Post
Under NFHS rules, what are the most points that can be theoretically scored by one player on a single basketball play? Exclude repeated technical/intentional/flagrant fouls.

I was using Case book from 2008-2009. (case plays listed may be different in current books)

2x5 = 10

3x5 = 15

For False Multiple Fouls, if it is always and only 2 shots for each foul, then it would be 10 and not 15.

Please confirm or disprove these thoughts. Looking for rule/case references only, not stuff like whether it could happen or anything along those lines.
You seem to be mis-reading the Case play. If the 3-point shot is successful, the offended player gets 1 shot for each foul, and that could yield 5 points.

And if the 3-point shot is unsuccessful, the offended player gets 2 free throws for each foul, which could yield 4 points.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 05:20pm
In Time Out

has anyone ever seen anything like that? I've never seen a ref call multiple fouls on a shot(of the d) even though it does happen.

I'm confused. How would it be 10fts? If two fouls on a three point shot, then three fts for each? So that equals 6. If the player made the three point shot, then fts for each foul? That equals 5.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
You seem to be mis-reading the Case play. If the 3-point shot is successful, the offended player gets 1 shot for each foul, and that could yield 5 points.

And if the 3-point shot is unsuccessful, the offended player gets 2 free throws for each foul, which could yield 4 points.
he is in outer space. he is telling you all players on B, B1-B5, fouled a 3 point shooter…..
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
he is in outer space. he is telling you all players on B, B1-B5, fouled a 3 point shooter…..
Thanks, I was seeing it as B1 and B5, not all 5 opponents on the floor. What was that Cartoon movie - Space Jam? . . .
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 07:28pm
In Time Out

I liked that movie. Good cheesey fun.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2015, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

If it's all during the try, it's going to be viewed as approximately the same time. 10 FTs max
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

The cases were cited for mere reference. Why is everyone freaking out? In my question I used the word "theoretically."

As usual on this site, no one can give a clear answer. I was only looking for a number followed by a rule/case citation, nothing more. Even bob jenkins had to add "..its going to be viewed.." How it is viewed is irrelevant given what actually happened. I specifically went out of the way to say "not stuff like whether it could happen or anything along those lines." and it didn't matter. One person even called it "pointless" but yet posted, lol.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Situation: With just a few seconds remaining in the fourth quarter, B leads A by a score of 109 to 20. A1 attempts a three-point try, which is unsuccessful. While A1 is in the act of shooting, players B1, B2, B3, B4, and B5 commit a personal foul against A1 at approximately the same time. The clock is stopped with 0.5 seconds remaining. B's head coach, unhappy with the call, disrespectfully addresses an official and is charged with an unsporting technical foul. B's head coach disrespectfully addresses an official a second time and is charged with a second unsporting technical foul. Players B1, B2, B3, B4, and B5 each disrespectfully address an official two times and are each charged with two unsporting technical fouls. Bench personnel B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11, B12, B13, B14, as well as four of the team's five assistant coaches, disrespectfully address an official two times apiece and are each charged with two unsporting technical fouls. B's head coach; players B1, B2, B3, B4, and B5; and bench personnel B6, B7, B8, B9, B10, B11, B12, B13, B14, and the four assistant coaches who had been charged with two unsporting technical fouls are all disqualified. The other two bench personnel, B15 and the other assistant coach, disrespectfully address an official once and are each charged with one unsporting technical foul.

Ruling: This is a false multiple foul consisting of a multiple foul and several technical fouls. All awarded free throws will be shot with no players in marked lane spaces. A1 is awarded ten free throws for the multiple foul by B1, B2, B3, B4, and B5. After these free throws, any player or eligible substitute for A may shoot any or all of the 80 free throws awarded for the 40 technical fouls charged to B players and bench personnel. A will then be awarded a throw-in at the division line. The only B team member remaining is B15. B shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes B has an opportunity to win the game.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 02:27am
AremRed

Quote:

2x5 = 10

3x5 = 15

I will confirm the multiple foul situation. In fact I'm gonna tell that as a joke at my coaches meeting tomorrow as a joke. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3x5 = 15
Nope....if is the same try, they're not going to be false multiple fouls. Only the 5 multiple fouls on a miss give you 10 points....no more. On a make, the same 5 fouls would potentially yield 8 points (3 for the make but 1 FT for each foul).
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nope....if is the same try, they're not going to be false multiple fouls. Only the 5 multiple fouls on a miss give you 10 points....no more. On a make, the same 5 fouls would potentially yield 8 points (3 for the make but 1 FT for each foul).
Are you guys saying if A1 goes up for a 2pt layup, gets fouled by B1 and continues for a shot and B2 comes in to block the shot but fouls A1, and the shot enters, A1 gets another 2 free throws 1 for each foul? never seen it before.

What if A1 misses the shot, how many free throws would be awarded?
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even bob jenkins had to add "..its going to be viewed.." How it is viewed is irrelevant given what actually happened.
Incorrect. How it's viewed is very relevant to this play, and it's clear. It's NOT a false multiple foul (that would be separate "plays" if I understand what you are asking), but it is a multiple foul. 10 FTs max.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=potato;950230]Are you guys saying if A1 goes up for a 2pt layup, gets fouled by B1 and continues for a shot and B2 comes in to block the shot but fouls A1, and the shot enters, A1 gets another 2 free throws 1 for each foul? never seen it before.[/quote[

By rule, yes. In practice, no.

Quote:
What if A1 misses the shot, how many free throws would be awarded?
For multiple fouls:

1 FT for each foul if no try, a 2-point try (successful or not), or a successful 3-point try.

2 FTs for each foul if an unsuccessful 3-point try, or an I or F
Old Wed Jan 14, 2015, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Incorrect. How it's viewed is very relevant to this play, and it's clear. It's NOT a false multiple foul (that would be separate "plays" if I understand what you are asking), but it is a multiple foul. 10 FTs max.
You originally stated "If it's all during the try..." You used a pronoun but there were two plays, both being different. Each play had exactly what actually happened, not how it was viewed.

The first case/play is indeed a multiple foul according to the case book.

The second case/play is indeed a false multiple foul according to the case book.

So, not sure what you meant by "it." So frustrating. Pronouns should be outlawed, lol.