The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have a question for all you official scorers out there. It occurred in a Red Sox-Yankees game earlier this season. Tell me how you'd score this play: Johnny Damon is the runner on first base. There's a full count on the batter. Damon attempts to steal second base on the next pitch. The pitch is ball four. Damon doesn't realize it. He aggressively slides into second base--and overslides the base. He is tagged out by shortstop Derek Jeter. Damon is out, but how is the play scored? Is it a caught stealing? I don't think so, because Damon safely reached second (albeit momentarily) and he was entitled to the base because the batter drew a walk. Does it go into the scorebook as a pickoff, maybe? I'm curious. Does anyone know the answer?

[Edited by John Robertson on Jun 3rd, 2005 at 04:37 PM]
Old Thu Jun 02, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Robertson
I have a question for all you official scorers out there. It occurred in a Red Sox-Yankees game earlier this season. Tell me how you'd score this play: Johnny Damon is the runner on first base. There's a full count on the batter. Damon attempts to steal second base on the next pitch. The pitch is ball four. Damon doesn't realize it. He aggressively slides into second base--and overslides the base. He is tagged out by shortstop Derek Jeter. Damon is out, but how is the play scored. Is it a caught stealing? I don't think so, because Damon safely reached second (albeit momentarily) and he was entitled to the base because the batter drew a walk. Does is go into the scorebook as a pickoff, maybe? I'm curious. Does anyone know the answer?
I expect it would be scored as F6 unnassisted for tagging a runner off the base. He did not steal a base and was tagged off the base. He is not caught stealing, and he was not picked. A footnote in the official scoring record would probably be appropriate.

But I am just an umpire and should not care how they score it.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

If the catcher threw down to the short stop, score it F2-F6, and as DG said, put in a footnote to explain.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
This could be scored CS 2-6 as although he was not "technically" stealing second, once he went past 2nd a liberal interpretation is that he is moving to 3rd and was caught stealing. I prefer the simpler aformentioned way of going about it.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Now,

. . . this is a perfect thread for one of the busy coaches to jump in and answer.

As an umpire I don't care how the game is scored.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I believe as umpires we SHOULD care how a game is scored. Official scoring rules are just as much a part of the game as playing rules are. I think we should be as informed as possible about official scoring rules just in case we are ever asked about them. In the leagues I umpire, whenever there's an interference call (or something else that's a little bit unusual) at the end of the inning I'll let the home team's scorekeeper know who ought to be credited with the putout. It lets them know that you care about the game. It can't hurt; it's good PR work, if nothing else.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe as umpires we SHOULD care how a game is scored. Official scoring rules are just as much a part of the game as playing rules are. I think we should be as informed as possible about official scoring rules just in case we are ever asked about them. In the leagues I umpire, whenever there's an interference call (or something else that's a little bit unusual) at the end of the inning I'll let the home team's scorekeeper know who ought to be credited with the putout. It lets them know that you care about the game. It can't hurt; it's good PR work, if nothing else.
1. Why do you care how the game is scored?

2. You have problems if you worry what a scorekeeper thinks of you.

3. It can't hurt? Walking over to dugouts right after you make a controversial interference call never caused any problems. I'm sure everyone in the dugout will be praising you for your great call.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Call me pedantic and detail-oriented, but I do care how a baseball game is scored. (Part of baseball's enduring appeal is the richness and accuracy of its statistics. This has been quite apparent to me since the age of seven.) Obviously, some people disagree. Nevertheless, I believe as officials we ought to assist the scorekeeper in keeping an accurate account of the game. It has nothing to do with whether a scorekeeper likes me or not. Most of the scorekeepers I deal with are not skilled statisticians, so they generally appreciate it when I can offer a little bit of assistance on how to record unusual plays. This has never caused a problem; in fact my gesture is generally appreciated. The usual response I get is "Thank you!"

[Edited by John Robertson on Jun 3rd, 2005 at 04:25 PM]
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

One further point: According to my copy of The Official Rules of Baseball, Rule 10.01 (b)4 states that "The scorer shall not make any decision conflicting with the Official Playing Rules, or with an umpire's decision." That certainly sounds to me like we're supposed to care that a game is scored properly!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 03:18pm
LeftyRef

WW = wasn't watching
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One further point: According to my copy of The Official Rules of Baseball, Rule 10.01 (b)4 states that "The scorer shall not make any decision conflicting with the Official Playing Rules, or with an umpire's decision." That certainly sounds to me like we're supposed to care that a game is scored properly!
What?

What does that have to do with you?

Stop searching for rules to justify your stupid actions.

That quote is saying that the scorer has to write down what the umpire says. Like if the umpire blows a call, the scorer can't decide to keep stats as if the umpire had not missed the call.

Next time, just stand there and count the warmup pitches.

How about you study some real baseball rules instead of wasting your time on scoring rules.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

LDUB, I pity you. You seem to have an extremely negative outlook on life. I hope you don't go onto the diamond in such a miserable mood. Shame on me for caring about official scoring rules and thinking that someone of your limited perspicacity might. (They are rules, just like the infield fly rule and the dropped third strike rule.) For some unfathomable reason you choose not to care. Fine. Don't dump on those of us who care about all aspects of the game--and don't be so hostile. Sheesh, what a grouch!
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(They are rules, just like the infield fly rule and the dropped third strike rule.)
Don't pity me, I just don't care about things which don't matter and which don't concern me whatsoever.

I already told you to stop trying to equate your actions to a rule book. The rules you cite are playing rules. They actually have something to do with how the game is played. Opposed to scoring rules which have nothing to do with the game at all.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'll make sure I tell the 200 delegates at the Society for American Baseball Research convention this August that LDUB has decreed that scoring rules have nothing to do with the game. That ought to bring the house down.
Old Fri Jun 03, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LDUB, I pity you. You seem to have an extremely negative outlook on life. I hope you don't go onto the diamond in such a miserable mood. Shame on me for caring about official scoring rules and thinking that someone of your limited perspicacity might. (They are rules, just like the infield fly rule and the dropped third strike rule.) For some unfathomable reason you choose not to care. Fine. Don't dump on those of us who care about all aspects of the game--and don't be so hostile. Sheesh, what a grouch!
Since you are relatively new here, I will offer a word of advice. Treat the grouches like a fan in the stands, ignore them. If you respond to them they will just come back with more.
Closed Thread