The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2003, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

(NF Rules) Bases loaded, 2 outs, ground ball to 2nd, 8 feet off of the bag he(opponent 2nd base) opps to tag runner from first. Runner from 1st to 2nd gets in a run down and runner on 3rd scores well before 2nd baseman tags runner from 1st to 2nd. Does the run that scored, before the tag count(sorry my daughter literally took the question mark key off of my laptop). If not please explain the difference on a force tag to the base vs a force tag to the player (I hope I explained that correctly)

Thank You In Advance

CK
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

R1 and R3, Br hits one to F4, F4 decides to tag out R1, meanwhile R3 scores(not).......simple enough???? Still a force in effect, my friend, now had there been 1 out, and F4 goes to first,(and gets the out) R1 is not forced. R3 scores(crosses plate)before R1 is retired, score that run, hope this helps....
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

A force out, is a force out, is a force out. Tag the runner, tag the base, no difference. If the third out is on a force play, no run.

Bob
Old Sat Jul 05, 2003, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You for the response. That makes perfect sense to me now. Once again Thank You!

CK
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

CK-
It may help you if you think of it this way.
The runner from 3rd CROSSED THE PLATE before the force out.
Just because runners cross the plate doesn't mean they score. It's not a score(run) until you say so.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

"Just because runners cross the plate doesn't mean they score. It's not a score(run) until you say so."

What you say has no bearing on the run scoring or not. It's the Rule Book that says so. Do you announce evey run?

Bob
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

In compliance with the rules, I signal every run that is a score to the scorekeeper(s). You are correct, when the rules state it is a run, a run will be signalled.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Question What?

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
In compliance with the rules, I signal every run that is a score to the scorekeeper(s). You are correct, when the rules state it is a run, a run will be signalled.
My rulebooks don't show any signal for scoring a run and I don't belive they give any direction that I should be signalling counted runs. What is it, exactly, that you do to signal a run and where is the rulebook direction?

I will definitely inform the score keeper of the results of a timing play but for most runs, it is very obvious that they should either count or not... without me signalling anything.

Am I missing something?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Point at the plate to signal a run.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by woolnojg
CK-
It may help you if you think of it this way.
The runner from 3rd CROSSED THE PLATE before the force out.
Just because runners cross the plate doesn't mean they score. It's not a score(run) until you say so.
Help????

Help with what? Don't confuse the guy!
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

The only time to signal, and verbalize, if a run or runs score, is when a third out is made during the action. "That run scores". "No run".

If you announce every run, then the defense will be alerted when you don't say anything because the runner missed the plate.

Bob