Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Nebraska/Indiana coaches confrontation

9:43 second half after a hard foul.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/12/31/vid...d-altercation/

Would anyone else consider handing out a double technical to get the coaches to stop acting like children?

Last edited by bballref3966; Thu Jan 01, 2015 at 12:35am.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Not only would I, but I did once.

One coach was very late getting to the gym, the opposing coach made a snide comment about it at some point late in the first quarter, and then they were just back and forth with each other for the next 2-3 minutes. It was a quiet gym, so everyone in the stands could see and hear it. Quite embarrassing for everyone, including the players. After a staredown or two, I finally had enough. Ball was being advanced in the backcourt, they were being chippy again, and I whacked 'em both.

The weird thing was they both seemed to appreciate it because it gave them an excuse to shut up. Seat belt was fastened, add one team foul to both sides, and just inbound the ball at the POI. One of them said, "that's cool, as long as it doesn't affect the kids."

It was quite effective, it fit, and was very defendable. A tool in your toolkit if you ever need it.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2014, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

That was not a dirty play at all and does not warrant one-tenth of the pissy fit that Tom Crean throws. Then Tim Miles overreacted with his little "hold me back" episode and wouldn't let it go. At least Crean, who started the spat, walked away.

Both coaches acted like brats and are getting whacked if it's my game.

Last edited by SC Official; Wed Dec 31, 2014 at 11:55pm.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 12:56am
C'mon man!!

Double T from me.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 08:27am
Stubborn Member

The game not only has to be held up because of them, but I also have to restrain one or both? Yeah... double-tech
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Fans always say that they don't watch games to see officials make themselves the show. Well, I for one don't watch games to see the coaches make themselves the show. This episode, in my opinion, highlights one of the biggest problems facing college basketball.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me when a game gets delayed by this kind of garbage that has assistants involved it should be at least a double T. One assistant was right up there he was not helping.... Tell the assistants to get back.. If they don't whack them too. The official right in front of Indiana coach can hear him yapping, he did not turn around and tell him to knock it off. He could have stopped him from walking to Center court but almost encourages him to get close to Miles.

Seems to me this is where college coaches have too much influence over the college game. The coaches get away with too much because "their job is always on the line"

College coaches are like many overpaid whiny brats in other leagues or sports. At least in the NBA the commissioner is in charge. They will keep doing this until someone stops them.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 02:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Seems to me when a game gets delayed by this kind of garbage that has assistants involved it should be at least a double T. One assistant was right up there he was not helping.... Tell the assistants to get back.. If they don't whack them too. The official right in front of Indiana coach can hear him yapping, he did not turn around and tell him to knock it off. He could have stopped him from walking to Center court but almost encourages him to get close to Miles.

Seems to me this is where college coaches have too much influence over the college game. The coaches get away with too much because "their job is always on the line"

College coaches are like many overpaid whiny brats in other leagues or sports. At least in the NBA the commissioner is in charge. They will keep doing this until someone stops them.
No other job in the world allows people to act like children when they get stressed.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
no other job in the world allows people to act like children when they get stressed.
wwe? . . .
Old Thu Jan 01, 2015, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Was at the game.

The fouler (Webster) goes over near the Hoosier bench and stands awaiting the upcoming free throws. While he's there it appears Crean is talking to him which is followed by smiles by Webster. Crean then looks down towards the Husker bench and starts gesturing. This provokes a response from Miles. The ref's actually stop play and bring the coaches together, which seemed odd.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
Was at the game.

The fouler (Webster) goes over near the Hoosier bench and stands awaiting the upcoming free throws. While he's there it appears Crean is talking to him which is followed by smiles by Webster. Crean then looks down towards the Husker bench and starts gesturing. This provokes a response from Miles. The ref's actually stop play and bring the coaches together, which seemed odd.
Crean was accused of saying "shut up" to Miles. I disagreed with how the officials handled this. I would have given each coach a stern warning without bringing them together and delaying the game. If they keep going, easy double whack and that'll take care of it.

Crean had no right to b*tch about the foul and Miles had no right to react that way. No place for this behavior.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2015, 09:31am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
...The ref's actually stop play and bring the coaches together, which seemed odd.
I can't second guess what the officials did...wasn't there and have no idea what the climate was leading up to the confrontation BUT to an outside observer, stopping the game and bringing them together just brought more attention to it. I certainly wouldn't try that move in a HS game...seems like gas on a fire to me.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Zebra, in hindsight, it seems like a bad idea bringing the coaches together. As for SC Official comment that Crean had not right to b****, if collage coaches only B****ed when they had a legitimate gripe they would have to figure out something new to do for half the game.

Last edited by Scooby; Sun Jan 04, 2015 at 12:48am.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It was quite effective, it fit, and was very defendable. A tool in your toolkit if you ever need it.
You are way too attached to this subjective, three-pronged criteria.
It is just some catch-phrase that a supervisor or camp clinician came up with.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2015, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Wasn't Tom Crean involved in some pissing match with an opposing coach last year too?