The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Oklahoma/Butler Foul and Contact Dead Ball T (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/98723-oklahoma-butler-foul-contact-dead-ball-t-video.html)

bballref3966 Thu Nov 27, 2014 03:06pm

Oklahoma/Butler Foul and Contact Dead Ball T (Video)

Just under 2 minutes left in the game. Foul by Butler near division line and a subsequent contact dead ball technical foul on Oklahoma.

JetMetFan Fri Nov 28, 2014 09:38pm

Here's the play...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DOfI3X63IPU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nevadaref Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:40pm

Nice work by the two outside officials to see the whole play.
Clear blocking foul by Butler called by the Trail and then the OK player got upset with the continued contact and smacked his opponent with an elbow to the side. The Center kept his eyes on these players after the initial foul and had a good look at this frustration action.

Camron Rust Sat Nov 29, 2014 03:10am

Tough to call a T only on the OK player when the Butler player kept harassing and riding him long after the whistle. If it is for contact, I think you have to get them both or neither.

However, it appears the OK player had some words which might have drawn the T ( I have no sound where I'm listening so I can't tell what he did or didn't say if it was picked up in the clip). It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?

JetMetFan Sat Nov 29, 2014 06:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 944987)
It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?

Nope, it was for the contact. One of the officials explained the call to the announcers.

SC Official Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:01am

This is why I hate the contact dead ball technical foul rule. Why does that mild elbow to the back warrant a more severe penalty than jawing while the ball is dead?

BigCat Sat Nov 29, 2014 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 944987)
Tough to call a T only on the OK player when the Butler player kept harassing and riding him long after the whistle. If it is for contact, I think you have to get them both or neither.

However, it appears the OK player had some words which might have drawn the T ( I have no sound where I'm listening so I can't tell what he did or didn't say if it was picked up in the clip). It is possible the T was for the trash talk and not the contact?

I agree, i would have like to seen C or T get in there, sound another whistle etc when Butler keeps riding him. have to referee the dead ball.

twocentsworth Sat Nov 29, 2014 09:36am

this play was officiated EXACTLY as it should be….block foul on Butler; T on Oklahoma player….there isn't anything else here at all.

A fairly simple play to officiate….

BigCat Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 944991)
this play was officiated EXACTLY as it should be….block foul on Butler; T on Oklahoma player….there isn't anything else here at all.

A fairly simple play to officiate….

Thx two cents,
For the record, when i comment on videos those comments should always be qualified.i wasnt there, in the moment. i may have done exactly the same thing. video slows things down etc. however, when you look at the video, you see the foul called, the Butler player ride the Oklahoma player, continue to ride him and then surprise, the Oklahoma player reacts badly. he shouldnt, but that's what kids do at times. Maybe a simple "knock it off" to the Butler kid, or another whistle or a step in stops Butler kid and maybe more importantly lets the Oklahoma kid know it is being addressed or that you are still watching. or ..maybe it changes nothing.

As a general principle, when BS starts I try to address it before it turns in to something i cant ignore. that's all im saying, no more no less.

JRutledge Sun Nov 30, 2014 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944989)
This is why I hate the contact dead ball technical foul rule. Why does that mild elbow to the back warrant a more severe penalty than jawing while the ball is dead?

Why are you throwing and elbow? You got the call, move on. Now you act like a fool and think no one sees you. The elbow was on purpose. It was not severe or flagrant, but he certainly did it on purpose. And if you do not want to be called for that, control you temper.

Peace

BryanV21 Sun Nov 30, 2014 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 944989)

You think trash-talking (or whatever you want to call it) is a bigger deal than an elbow (minor or not)?

While neither activity is okay, I'm more concerned about things getting physical. If I hear players jawing I can step in and stop it before a push or punch is thrown. Once physical aggression happens then pushing and other fighting activity can occur before I can intervene. And who wants to deal with fights?

Camron Rust Sun Nov 30, 2014 03:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 945060)
You think trash-talking (or whatever you want to call it) is a bigger deal than an elbow (minor or not)?

While neither activity is okay, I'm more concerned about things getting physical. If I hear players jawing I can step in and stop it before a push or punch is thrown. Once physical aggression happens then pushing and other fighting activity can occur before I can intervene. And who wants to deal with fights?

I'm more concerned with letting the defender continue to push on him after the whistle until he reacts and not addressing the contact from the defender. Get them both if you're going to call "that" elbow.

BryanV21 Sun Nov 30, 2014 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 945072)
I'm more concerned with letting the defender continue to push on him after the whistle until he reacts and not addressing the contact from the defender. Get them both if you're going to call "that" elbow.

I agree with you on that play, I was just speaking on calling the elbow vs. calling the trash-talking. If the defender hadn't "ridden" the offensive player then the elbow wouldn't have happened. The one that instigated the issue is just as much at fault as the one that reacted to it.

JRutledge Sun Nov 30, 2014 04:19pm

I think the contact from the defender was normal and not malicious. The ball handler has to use his head that is all.

Peace

Camron Rust Sun Nov 30, 2014 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 945079)
I think the contact from the defender was normal and not malicious. The ball handler has to use his head that is all.

Peace

I agree. And neither was the half-assed fling of the arm. But it was not normal that long after the whistle. He could have easily stopped and chose not to. Absent the unnecessary and easily avoidable extra dead ball contact from the defender, the elbow doesn't happen.