The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 11, 2014, 06:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Hey Music Lovers" (Sly & The Family Stone) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We have a bigger state than where you live ... I graduated from HS in the early 1990s, it was not done every game and many times it was not done at all.
I guess that we have more music lovers here in my little state than in your big state.

http://briancain.com/blog/the-histor...ing-games.html

http://tampabay.rays.mlb.com/tb/hist...nal_anthem.jsp
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 11, 2014 at 06:12pm.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2014, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Four minutes would be a funeral dirge.

Any anthem sung played in more than 80 seconds (or sung in more than 90) is horrible.
Rich, most of the HS teams in my area play 2 games a week, for each of 3 levels - sophomore, JV, and Varsity. The Nat'l Anthem is usually played or sung only at the Varsity games. Sometimes, when no one is available to sing the Anthem, the crowd recites the Pledge of Allegiance.
When I sing it, it takes about 70 seconds. So, 2 Men's Varsity games, 2 Women's Varsity games, is about 4 minutes. (You may note my reference to 168 hours in a week - 167 hours, and 56 minutes to discount the value of our freedom, our liberty, our society, as won and protected by our military.)
Oh, and I hope you have a peaceful Veterans' Day.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2014, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then why don't people do all the other things that honor the flag or follow protocol? If you do not know those things, then yes it is silly.

There is nothing special about the National Anthem for a sporting contest. We only started this practice in the last 50 years or so. And it was not done at every sporting event until probably the last 30 years.

Again, it is after all my opinion.

Peace
You'd have to ask those people . . .

Although you may see nothing special about the Nat'l Anthem for a sporting event, it is special, in and of itself. Having spent time in other countries, where the citizens have so few rights, and even less hope, the Nat'l Anthem is very special to me.
Perhaps those US citizens who discount the flag, in regards to scripted protocol have not been instructed. Perhaps they take all that we have in this great country for granted. Perhaps a few minutes of reverence for the flag, and our Nat'l Anthem would do them some good, in regards to their gratitude for this great country and all it affords us.
I hope you have had a peaceful Veterans' Day.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2014, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Happy Veteran's Day. Thank you for serving.
Thanks, Billy. I hope you've had a peaceful Veterans' Day.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2014, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Thanks, Billy. I hope you've had a peaceful Veterans' Day.
My family and I thank you and all veterans for our freedom. We also thank your families. I'm certain you don't hear it enough.

P.s. I love the national Anthem...and God Bless America ...even in the 7th inning of the 7th game....
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 12:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
You'd have to ask those people . . .

Although you may see nothing special about the Nat'l Anthem for a sporting event, it is special, in and of itself. Having spent time in other countries, where the citizens have so few rights, and even less hope, the Nat'l Anthem is very special to me.
Perhaps those US citizens who discount the flag, in regards to scripted protocol have not been instructed. Perhaps they take all that we have in this great country for granted. Perhaps a few minutes of reverence for the flag, and our Nat'l Anthem would do them some good, in regards to their gratitude for this great country and all it affords us.
I hope you have had a peaceful Veterans' Day.
You can be upset with me about my point of view, but many people feel the same way by how they act during the National Anthem. It really only took on this special meaning after 9/11. There were many people that acted like it was a hassle based on their body language and it was not always practiced. I even remember early in my career where it was hit and miss who would even do the Anthem. There are better ways to show gratitude IMO than doing the Anthem. My dad was the Commander of a local VFW, I saw first hand real giving to those that did things for this country. And most that get so upset if you even take a position on a certain side of this, never do anything truly that will help veterans that shows real gratitude.

BTW, I had a great day. Thank you for asking.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 12:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I guess that we have more music lovers here in my little state than in your big state.

The History of the National Anthem at Sporting Games | Brian Cain

Baseball's National Anthem | raysbaseball.com: History
You miss the entire point.

Peace

Last edited by Adam; Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 09:14am. Reason: Removed personal insult
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 02:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
My family and I thank you and all veterans for our freedom. We also thank your families. I'm certain you don't hear it enough.

P.s. I love the national Anthem...and God Bless America ...even in the 7th inning of the 7th game....
Thanks, BigCat. And thanks to all our country's veterans and their families.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 07:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

Opinion Versus Facts ...

Quote:
You miss the entire point.
I fully "get" your opinion. It's your facts that I have a problem with. If you had simply expressed an opinion, then I would have probably not decided to participate in this thread.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by Adam; Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 09:15am. Reason: risidual cleanup
Old Wed Nov 12, 2014, 07:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirteen Years ???

Quote:
National Anthem ... It really only took on this special meaning after 9/11.
I may agree with you if you were discussing God Bless America (seventh inning stretch), but The Star Spangled Banner has had a special meaning for a lot longer than thirteen years.

Also, for the record, I've been officiating for thirty-four years here in Connecticut, and The Star Spangled Banner has been played before 95% of the varsity games that I have officiated, or observed, over that period of time. That's a fact. I also understand that things may have been different where you grew up.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 12, 2014 at 07:35am.
Closed Thread