The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:05pm
Stubborn Member

Free Throw At Wrong Basket

I'm re-reading the rule and case books, and thought of a scenario that I can't figure out. Previous case books may have covered it, but I don't have them readily available.

Here it is...

A1 is awarded two free throws after a shooting foul, after the first attempt a time-out is called. Once the time out is over the officials administer the 2nd free throw for A1 at the wrong goal (I don't understand how such a mistake could happen, but stay with me). A1 misses the free throw, which is rebounded by A2 who then shoots and scores. Before B1 in bounds the ball, it is discovered that A1's free throw attempt was at the wrong basket, thus a correctable error.

Now what? Rule 2.10.4 states that the free throw and the activity during it (except for unsporting, flagrant, intentional, and technical fouls) shall be cancelled. However, when the basket was made by A2 the free throw had ended, so this section doesn't apply.

Rule 2.10.5 states that points scored, consumed time, and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of the error, shall not be nullified. Therefore the basket by A2 counts.

So it seems that A1 would be given a replacement free throw at the correct basket with the lanes clear. After the attempt, Team B is given a throw in on the endline (and is able to run the line since at the point of interruption they were able to do so after a made basket by Team A), per point of interruption.

But what happens with the basket scored by Team A? Does Team A get the points, as they were led to believe it was the correct basket due to official error? Does Team B get the points since it was actually their basket?

I'm lost, and afraid it may be obvious. If so, please be gentle.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

I think this would be correct. If not, I think I could "sell it" because the vast majority of coaches would not know better.

A1 is given a replacement free throw
B is awarded the 2 points for the basket made by A at the wrong end
B gets a throw-in and is able to run the baseline (after the replacement FT)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...well, you know the rest.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:13pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I think this would be correct. If not, I think I could "sell it" because the vast majority of coaches would not know better.

A1 is given a replacement free throw
B is awarded the 2 points for the basket made by A at the wrong end
B gets a throw-in and is able to run the baseline (after the replacement FT)

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance...well, you know the rest.
It seems like a case when fairness is thrown out the window.

I mean, it's not "fair" that Team B is given the points since Team A was led to believe they were at the correct basket by the officials. But it's not "fair" that Team A is given those points and gets a free throw attempt (possible three point play).
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

If the last action is a field goal for B, why does B get the ball?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:28pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
If the last action is a field goal for B, why does B get the ball?
Good point. So is this the answer?...

1. A1 is given a replacement free throw at the correct basket with the lane clear. If made Team A is given a point and we go to point of interruption, if the free throw is missed we simply go to point of interruption.

2. Team A is given a throw in on the endline (under Team B's basket), and allowed to run the line since if follows a successful field goal.

Note: Although the basket was scored by A2, it was made at Team B's basket, therefore Team B is given two points and the basket is not awarded to any one player (a notation is made in the scorebook).
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:47pm
We don't rent pigs

No way can this basket count for B when everybody on the court, apparently including the officials, thought it was being shot at the correct basket. This would fall under the part (somebody help me with rule #) where the officials allow the teams to go the wrong way.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stuff Happens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
It seems like a case when fairness is thrown out the window.
Very little about the correctable error rule is fair. It's just something that the NFHS jerry–rigged together to get the game back on the right track after an error.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 08:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Very little about the correctable error rule is fair. It's just something that the NFHS jerry–rigged together to get the game back on the right track after an error.

Actually, the CER is not a NFHS jerry-rigged rule but one that pre-dates the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees. The CER has been the same in both NFHS and NCAA (except for some simultaneous tweaking by both Rules Committees in either the late 1980's or early 1990's) since before the 1962-63 school year which means it goes back to the NBCUSC (National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada) which is the precursor of the NFHS and NCAA Rules Committees.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
No way can this basket count for B when everybody on the court, apparently including the officials, thought it was being shot at the correct basket. This would fall under the part (somebody help me with rule #) where the officials allow the teams to go the wrong way.
The rule is 4-5-4. Some might argue the context of the rule pertains to the start of the game, the 2nd half or any overtime period. See related Caseplays 5.2.1 E and F.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:49pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
The rule is 4-5-4. Some might argue the context of the rule pertains to the start of the game, the 2nd half or any overtime period. See related Caseplays 5.2.1 E and F.
And I would argue that this is the example given because this is the most likely time for this to occur. The officials allowed the teams to go the wrong way in the OP. I see no reason why this rule would not apply.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm re-reading the rule and case books, and thought of a scenario that I can't figure out. Previous case books may have covered it, but I don't have them readily available.

Here it is...

A1 is awarded two free throws after a shooting foul, after the first attempt a time-out is called. Once the time out is over the officials administer the 2nd free throw for A1 at the wrong goal (I don't understand how such a mistake could happen, but stay with me). A1 misses the free throw, which is rebounded by A2 who then shoots and scores. Before B1 in bounds the ball, it is discovered that A1's free throw attempt was at the wrong basket, thus a correctable error.

Now what? Rule 2.10.4 states that the free throw and the activity during it (except for unsporting, flagrant, intentional, and technical fouls) shall be cancelled. However, when the basket was made by A2 the free throw had ended, so this section doesn't apply.

Rule 2.10.5 states that points scored, consumed time, and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of the error, shall not be nullified. Therefore the basket by A2 counts.

So it seems that A1 would be given a replacement free throw at the correct basket with the lanes clear. After the attempt, Team B is given a throw in on the endline (and is able to run the line since at the point of interruption they were able to do so after a made basket by Team A), per point of interruption.

But what happens with the basket scored by Team A? Does Team A get the points, as they were led to believe it was the correct basket due to official error? Does Team B get the points since it was actually their basket?

I'm lost, and afraid it may be obvious. If so, please be gentle.
Assuming the clock properly started when A2 grabbed the rebound and the ball was at B1's disposal following the basket, the error for the FT at the wrong basket is no longer correctable.

Last edited by billyu2; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 07:01am.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
And I would argue that this is the example given because this is the most likely time for this to occur. The officials allowed the teams to go the wrong way in the OP. I see no reason why this rule would not apply.
I'm with jar on this one.
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can agree with that. However, a good case could be made that A's second free throw at the wrong basket is not a correctable error situation. For example: A5 dunks during pre-game warmups. By mistake the officials allow Team B two free throws at the wrong basket to start the game. Both FT's are good. Team B is given the ball at the division line. They inbound and proceed toward the wrong basket. A couple of tries by both teams are missed before Team B scores. During the dead ball after the score the officials realize their mistake. According to 4-5-4 "all points scored count as if each team had gone the proper direction." Apply that ruling to A1's missed free throw and subsequent score by A2 in the OP and I guess all the officials can do is stop the game and get things going in the proper direction. Yes?
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:35pm
Administrator

Quote:

You have learned well young grasshopper.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:36pm
We don't rent pigs

Yes

Lonesome Dove