View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I'm re-reading the rule and case books, and thought of a scenario that I can't figure out. Previous case books may have covered it, but I don't have them readily available.

Here it is...

A1 is awarded two free throws after a shooting foul, after the first attempt a time-out is called. Once the time out is over the officials administer the 2nd free throw for A1 at the wrong goal (I don't understand how such a mistake could happen, but stay with me). A1 misses the free throw, which is rebounded by A2 who then shoots and scores. Before B1 in bounds the ball, it is discovered that A1's free throw attempt was at the wrong basket, thus a correctable error.

Now what? Rule 2.10.4 states that the free throw and the activity during it (except for unsporting, flagrant, intentional, and technical fouls) shall be cancelled. However, when the basket was made by A2 the free throw had ended, so this section doesn't apply.

Rule 2.10.5 states that points scored, consumed time, and additional activity, which may occur prior to the recognition of the error, shall not be nullified. Therefore the basket by A2 counts.

So it seems that A1 would be given a replacement free throw at the correct basket with the lanes clear. After the attempt, Team B is given a throw in on the endline (and is able to run the line since at the point of interruption they were able to do so after a made basket by Team A), per point of interruption.

But what happens with the basket scored by Team A? Does Team A get the points, as they were led to believe it was the correct basket due to official error? Does Team B get the points since it was actually their basket?

I'm lost, and afraid it may be obvious. If so, please be gentle.
Assuming the clock properly started when A2 grabbed the rebound and the ball was at B1's disposal following the basket, the error for the FT at the wrong basket is no longer correctable.

Last edited by billyu2; Wed Oct 01, 2014 at 07:01am.