View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 30, 2014, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
And I would argue that this is the example given because this is the most likely time for this to occur. The officials allowed the teams to go the wrong way in the OP. I see no reason why this rule would not apply.
I can agree with that. However, a good case could be made that A's second free throw at the wrong basket is not a correctable error situation. For example: A5 dunks during pre-game warmups. By mistake the officials allow Team B two free throws at the wrong basket to start the game. Both FT's are good. Team B is given the ball at the division line. They inbound and proceed toward the wrong basket. A couple of tries by both teams are missed before Team B scores. During the dead ball after the score the officials realize their mistake. According to 4-5-4 "all points scored count as if each team had gone the proper direction." Apply that ruling to A1's missed free throw and subsequent score by A2 in the OP and I guess all the officials can do is stop the game and get things going in the proper direction. Yes?