The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
1. Always point and announce color, at all levels.

2. Check the clock, short, loud tweet.

3. Two hand, modified (my own unique way): Right hand's fingertips under the ball, left hand's fingertips to steady the ball, right arm pushes the ball straight up, like a piston. Works every time.
This is my routine, also.
And, just before I point and state the colors, I check with my partner(s) to be sure they're ready.

(Whenever i've tried two hands, I send the ball to the left or right.)
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 02:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Bainsey:

Good catch. Even after 43 years I tend to forget that especially back in the day when every quarter or half started with a Jump Ball.

MTD, Sr.
I'm hoping that before I check the clock, the U1 has noticed any glitches.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
1. No longer point.

2. Loud whistle. It serves to notify the captains

3. One hand...I'm 6' 5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I have a bad habit of being hit in the head, arms, torso, etc. Doesn't matter the age, height or skill of the jumpers. I seem to be a magnet.

1. Same
I'll check with my partners, then the table. I mentally note (self-talk) the correct colors going the correct directions, slightly modifying the Billy Mac technique. I gave up the verbal a while ago. To me this is the same as carrying a whistle in the pocket to keep track of the AP. That is not to say that there's anything wrong with it, it's just not for me.

2. Same
I used to take big strides to get into the circle until someone pointed out how silly it looks, so now I stroll. Tweet, spit it out, cool-guy walk.

3. Same-ish: I'm only 6' 0"
I tell the jumpers I'm going give it a couple of bounces. This is to back 'em up and avoid the JMF treatment. Two or three bounces and up she goes with as minimal a pause as possible.

My goal is a knuckle ball going up...
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 04:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

I talk to the jumpers as I walk in. I tell them I'm not bouncing the ball and to be ready.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 04:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
I talk to the jumpers as I walk in. I tell them I'm not bouncing the ball and to be ready.

Boy do I envy you: You can talk and walk at the same time, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 05:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I tell them that I "I need the middle" so I can set up my bounce-toss mechanic. I will bounce the ball usually a couple of times at least by often more just to fool them so they do not steal the tip. I have some of my tosses on video and I can show people what I do. I also think most of my tosses are very good as a result. I had a long time "legend" in this parts tell me to do something to avoid the jumpers from figuring out your toss. I have been doing it this way for years.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have some of my tosses on video and I can show people what I do.

Peace
Let's see 'em! I'm not ashamed to admit that I steal what me likey.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2014, 11:21pm
AremRed

1. Haven't really nailed down a routine. I usually point directions for everyone's benefit, especially mine.

2. Check the clock. Look at each partner. Loud and long tweet. Drop whistle and move to toss.

3. I toss with one hand. I keep the ball at the same level in my hand while walking in and go straight up from there. No dipping down to tip off the jumpers (see what I did there?).

As an aside, I hate talking to the jumpers or players around the circle prior to the toss. I don't want to start the game being overly officious. I do the bare minimum required by rule; once I start going in to toss I don't stop unless there is obvious movement by a player who shouldn't be moving. The jump ball only happens once a game, assuming the R is doing his job correctly. The faster we get the ball in play the better.

PS: In the last two weeks I have both been jacked in the face by a jumper's elbow and chopped in the nuts by a jumper's knee. Not my lucky month. (And no, the incidents had nothing to do with making sure the jumpers were far enough apart).
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 06:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I hate talking to the jumpers or players around the circle prior to the toss. I don't want to start the game being overly officious. I do the bare minimum required by rule.
From my article Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game:

"Hold your spots", said by the referee, or tosser, before the jump ball, is only rule based for some of the players. One exception to this rule, and there are others, is that players on the jump ball circle can move off the jump ball circle at any time: before the toss, during the toss, or after the toss.

"You can't stand behind him”, stated by the referee, or the umpire, before a jump ball, to a player who is directly behind an opponent, both whom are ten feet off the jump ball circle, is not rule based. The rule that players can’t stand behind, within three feet, of an opponent, only applies to players on, and within three feet of, the jump ball circle. Players farther back than that can stand wherever they want, as long as they get to that spot first.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

And you know what some of us feel about that article.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I only talk prior to making my approach and that is to check with my partners that they are ready. "Ready?" They usually give a thumbs up or whatever.

I then check the clock and ask them if they are ready.

I blast my whistle for the 20+ in attendance (that's not 20,000, just 20).

Then I walk into the circle, usually two feet short of the jumpers, and I toss the ball two handed with a slight forward movement so as to reach the jumpers.

After the toss, I make sure the time has started, arrow set and I settle into the trail.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 03:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Forget To Put The Whistle Back In Your Mouth ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
After the toss, I make sure the time has started, arrow set, and I settle into the trail.
Good points.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 30, 2014, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

1. Verbalize and point, and check to make sure they are going the correct direction.

2. A sharp loud whistle

3. One hand, normally after a bounce or two just keep them guessing!