The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Foul or incidental contact?

I have an example from my game a couple weeks ago. My guy goes to set a screen for the ballhandler, the ball handler gives a fake, but drives away from the screen. The defender goes for the fake, makes contact with my guy setting a screen. He gets called for an illegal screen. I agree that my guy was not completely set when contact was made, so if he used the screen, I would have agreed with the call. The way it went down, I thought it was incidental contact. Your thoughts?
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Still slowed him down

The contact probably slowed his reaction and recovery going back the other way, so I've got no problem with the foul call.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 10:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is really a HTBT situation. I can see why a foul was called, but hard to say for sure without seeing the play.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 10:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I have an example from my game a couple weeks ago. My guy goes to set a screen for the ballhandler, the ball handler gives a fake, but drives away from the screen. The defender goes for the fake, makes contact with my guy setting a screen. He gets called for an illegal screen. I agree that my guy was not completely set when contact was made, so if he used the screen, I would have agreed with the call. The way it went down, I thought it was incidental contact. Your thoughts?
Sounds like a no-call to me, especially if the defender went the wrong way and initiated the contact with the screener.

Coach, you gotta start taping your games! Just say it's for a highlight video or something but secretly funnel that video to us
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Since there's actually no foul that's called an illegal screen, your player was called for a blocking foul. It makes no difference whether the dribbler "used the screen" or not. If your player as moving and blocked the defender's path, that's a foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Since there's actually no foul that's called an illegal screen, your player was called for a blocking foul. It makes no difference whether the dribbler "used the screen" or not. If your player was moving and blocked the defender's path, that's a foul.
I've heard several officials blow the whistle, shout illegal, and point the other way on this call. What are they referring to if not an illegal screen? Maybe, they're stealing NBA verbiage?

Also, doesn't the defender's path have to be a path that affects the play? Otherwise, couldn't I simply tell my guys to run into moving offensive players and I'll get a foul call?

Last edited by Coach Bill; Wed Jul 02, 2014 at 11:31pm.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2014, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Sounds like a no-call to me, especially if the defender went the wrong way and initiated the contact with the screener.

Coach, you gotta start taping your games! Just say it's for a highlight video or something but secretly funnel that video to us
I love this site. During the games I'll say to myself, I gotta remember that play and see what the guys say about this.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 12:00am
We don't rent pigs

We need a description of the contact to say whether or not it was a foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

Tough to decide from a written description.
Screens do not have to be anywhere near the player with the ball.
This could be an example of an illegal off-ball screen or it could be a defender illegally contacting a cutting offensive player.
These are the difficult judgment decisions officials must make hundreds of times during games.
I wish that I could offer the coach more feedback, but some plays just come down to what a particular person sees and thinks at a certain point in the game.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

Screens ...

Quote:
I've heard several officials blow the whistle, shout illegal, and point the other way on this call. What are they referring to if not an illegal screen?
There is no signal for an illegal screen. The most often used signal is a stop the clock fist, followed by a blocking foul signal (hands (not supposed to use fists) on hips), followed by a team control foul signal (punch), sometimes (not required) followed by some verbiage about an illegal screen.

The blocking foul is called due to illegal contact (block) as described as illegal activity in the principles of screening.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There is no signal for an illegal screen.
Sure there is. I point in the other direction.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Be polite with our guest, there are multiple posts in your history where you wrote "illegal screen".

C'mon you know if the defender gets faked out and goes the wrong way and runs into another offensive player who is about to set a screen it's probably incidental.
If the screen prevents the defender from getting to where he wants to go, and the screener isn't legal at the point of contact, then this is not going to be incidental contact.

The rule is "contact which prevents a player from performing normal offensive or defensive movements" (paraphrased from memory). Assuming the contact did that, and the screener wasn't legal when contact was made.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Also, doesn't the defender's path have to be a path that affects the play? Otherwise, couldn't I simply tell my guys to run into moving offensive players and I'll get a foul call?
Nope, and if you did that, you're players would likely be called for "illegal screens."
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 03:46pm
This IS My Social Life

Is This German to the Point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
There is no signal for an illegal screen. The most often used signal is a stop the clock fist, followed by a blocking foul signal (hands (not supposed to use fists) on hips), followed by a team control foul signal (punch), sometimes (not required) followed by some verbiage about an illegal screen.

The blocking foul is called due to illegal contact (block) as described as illegal activity in the principles of screening.
Not saying I agree with it, but 10-6-6 does say, "Contact caused by a defensive player who approaches from behind is pushing..."

I'd prefer it termed it "blocking", which explains why that's the signal I most frequently use cuz it makes sense.

Though this citation might not actually address the original post...
Old Thu Jul 03, 2014, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I love this site. During the games I'll say to myself, I gotta remember that play and see what the guys say about this.
If you're going to keep coming back you need to start videotaping these games!
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)