The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Coach, the point I was trying to make, before all the drama with AremRed unfolded, was your player can be guilty of a blocking foul whether:

1- he actually set a screen or not
2- whether the dribbler used the screen or not.

Without being able to see the play, we can't tell you whether a foul occurred. But yes, it's possible.
Yeh - I understand ur point. I was just letting u know my concern was not with what he was called for, but whether any foul should have been called. I think it was one of those where a patient whistle may have let it go. But, it's hard (if not impossible) for y'all to say without video.
Old Sun Jul 06, 2014, 09:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Frankly, I don't see an issue with the terminology here. I don't see this as one of those terms that confuses people (like "moving screen") into thinking something is illegal when it's not.
Exactly. And the term is used in the casebook, which as far as I am concerned is just as good as any other terminology used in the rulebook.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing wrong with using the term illegal screen if you choose to do so. There is no signal in the Signal Chart for illegal screen nor is it identified as a foul in the rule book. The post was simply designed to express to the coach that his player was called for a blocking foul.

We now return you to our regular programming.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with using the term illegal screen if you choose to do so. There is no signal in the Signal Chart for illegal screen nor is it identified as a foul in the rule book. The post was simply designed to express to the coach that his player was called for a blocking foul.

We now return you to our regular programming.
No - he was called for an illegal screen. Perhaps the ref should have given a blocking foul signal, but the only signals were a verbal "illegal" with the team control punch.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2014, 11:00pm
AremRed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
No - he was called for an illegal screen. Perhaps the ref should have given a blocking foul signal, but the only signals were a verbal "illegal" with the team control punch.
I can't remember the last time I saw a non-illegal screen non-holding blocking foul called on the offense in an NBA or college basketball game.....

Oh wait, it's probably because that has never happened.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I can't remember the last time I saw a non-illegal screen non-holding blocking foul called on the offense in an NBA or college basketball game.....

Oh wait, it's probably because that has never happened.
Depending a little on what you mean by "illegal screen" I've had a few calls like that for "chucking" or bumping the cutter.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sorry I ever got involved with this topic. Just another reason I rarely post here anymore.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Really late to the party. THanks Arthur.

Seems like a "had to be there" sort of play. There are a lot of timing and spacing elements that are coming into play here. THat being said if the ball carrier is going to the rim and the player who is supposed to be guarding him runs into someone while running out of the way of the driver unless he gets laif out be excessive contact I'm probably going to pass.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Tue Jul 08, 2014, 09:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm sorry I ever got involved with this topic. Just another reason I rarely post here anymore.
I wish you would, Tony. You're always welcome.
Old Fri Jul 11, 2014, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Illegal screen or block. Potato or potatoe. No difference. Still a foul. same result.

For me, illegal screen is either a block or a hold signal but verbal is always "illegal screen".
Old Sat Jul 12, 2014, 10:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
Illegal screen or block. Potato or potatoe. No difference. Still a foul. same result.

For me, illegal screen is either a block or a hold signal but verbal is always "illegal screen".
I will say what they did and conclude with, "on the screen....."

Again it really does not matter in the end as long as the call is correct and the information is given. I just think I want to tell everyone there was an illegal screen and not just some other type of action. Saying "block" alone IMO is not clear enough to many. Not saying that all will be confused, but all it takes is the right time. That is why I say "Illegal screen" when describing the actions. But like the profession I am in on a daily basis, people do what works for them all the time and you are often not wrong if it works for you.

Peace