The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 11:29am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Tom, IMO that contact has been emphasized as a foul by the NCAA all year.
IMO too
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 12:04pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by badnewsref View Post
tom, imo that contact has been emphasized as a foul by the ncaa all year.
+1
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Tom, IMO that contact has been emphasized as a foul by the NCAA all year.
But I did not see displacement by the defender or any RSBQ that took place on the ball handler. I saw displacement by the push off though.

And It is not a slam dunk either way. I think this is just one of those tough plays we have take place. If the Arizona player does not extend his arm, he probably gets a foul. Or at least there is a no call.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Mar 31, 2014 at 12:44pm.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

My two cents (hopefully better than mytwocents's two cents)

This was just about to be a foul on the defender. Illegal contact was ABOUT TO happen - but it never did actually happen. The push off prevented what was likely about to be a block.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:09pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

This was just about to be a foul on the defender. Illegal contact was ABOUT TO happen - but it never did actually happen. The push off prevented what was likely about to be a block.

MD Longhorn:

Great observation! Too many coaches are screaming for a foul before one occurs and then the foul they think is going to occur a different presents itself. That is what happened in this play.

And this type of play happens quite frequently in all games we officiate no matter what the level. It is a good thing that we officials are paid to see the entire play and not just the first half of the play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

That is probably the best description MD.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

It shouldn't matter what he did with his arm, he was already fouled while in the act of shooting.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... It is a good thing that we officials are paid to see the entire play and not just the first half of the play.

MTD, Sr.
I think I've seen something like that written in the forum before.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:33pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
It shouldn't matter what he did with his arm, he was already fouled while in the act of shooting.

Okay, I agree with you, he was fouled in the act of shooting. But this doesn't cause the ball to become dead. Does this give him a free pass with the arm. Why wouldn't this be a false double foul?

discuss

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 01:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Okay, I agree with you, he was fouled in the act of shooting. But this doesn't cause the ball to become dead. Does this give him a free pass with the arm. Why wouldn't this be a false double foul?

discuss
I was actually considering posting the same type of question.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 02:38pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post

discuss
It shouldn't, but I would not want to be the first person making that call on this type of play in any area/level/league I work. Might not be right, but the accepted and expected practice is to ignore the second foul if you have called the first foul in these types of situations.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It was not a great call or a gutsy call. It was the correct call. And that is why Tony Greene was assigned to this game.

MTD, Sr.
I think it was absolutely a gutsy call. We can talk all we want about all calls being the same but the truth of the matter is that all whistles are not equal and some calls are bigger and require more fortitude than others.

As evidenced by the discussion in this thread this was a call that is subject to a lot of scrutiny with differing opinions. I applaud Greene for being convinced in what he saw and not being afraid to make what he believed was the correct call when IMO many other officials, high level officials too, would not have put air in it in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

I tend to agree with this observation as well. Certainly room for debate but I liked the call for this reason.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
But that is my point - if it is such a close or marginal call that even after replay the best you can say is that maybe, just maybe, there is a 50-50 chance that it was the right call...

then I don't think it is a good call, especially in that situation. You basically eliminated a teams chance to win the game on that play on a "Gee, maybe it was a foul....maybe..." call. And on an offensive foul to boot.
This is just all types of wrong.

First of all, Greene was 10 ft from the play, had a great look and HE determined it was a foul according to his judgement. And that's what he was on the floor to do. To say, "Gee maybe it was a foul" is YOUR opinion. He obviously was convinced.

Secondly, Arizona got the ball back with 2.5 seconds to play and had another chance to win the game. They didnt make the shot. It's called basketball...it happens. To say that one call eliminated a teams chance to win is almost always incorrect and here it was proven to be 100% false since they indeed had a subsequent chance to win the game. And all of that is moot anyway if you believe, as I do, that it was the correct call.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 03:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
But that is my point - if it is such a close or marginal call that even after replay the best you can say is that maybe, just maybe, there is a 50-50 chance that it was the right call...

then I don't think it is a good call, especially in that situation. You basically eliminated a teams chance to win the game on that play on a "Gee, maybe it was a foul....maybe..." call. And on an offensive foul to boot.
There is no doubt there is a foul to be called, the debate is whether the defense committed a foul prior to the push off. Either way, a whistle was going to come.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2014, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think I've seen something like that written in the forum before.
Quote:
Apples and oranges to the play you're referring to. This play is exactly what seeing the whole play philosophy is about....whether to call a foul and, if so, who to call it on.