The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wisconsin-Arizona Player Control Foul (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97644-wisconsin-arizona-player-control-foul-video.html)

bballref3966 Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:05pm

Wisconsin-Arizona Player Control Foul (Video)

Tony Greene calls a player control foul on Arizona with 3.2 seconds left in OT. Looked like a good call. Ball handler created separation with the left arm.

Second gutsy player control foul call by Greene this season.

JRutledge Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:06pm

Great call.

Peace

twocentsworth Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:09pm

Great call if only you overlook the illegal sefensive contact that was creted by the defender moving INTO the path of the ball handler.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:11pm

It was not a great call or a gutsy call. It was the correct call. And that is why Tony Greene was assigned to this game.

MTD, Sr.

bballref3966 Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 929770)
It was not a great call or a gutsy call. It was the correct call. And that is why Tony Greene was assigned to this game.

MTD, Sr.

Very good point.

twocentsworth Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 929770)

MTD, Sr.

I am surprised that you would feel this way. By rule, and you - more than anyone on this forum - could easily be called "Mr Rule Book", he was illegally contacted by a defender who moved INTO the dribbler (interrupting the Rythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness).

Btw....Tony Greene is the official who ran directly I front of Roy Williams who was signaling and yelling for a timeout ....AND DID NOTHING.

Simply put, Tony has not had a season worthy of a Final Four assignment (or Elite Eight, for that matter).

fortmoney Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 929775)
I am surprised that you would feel this way. By rule, and you - more than anyone on this forum - could easily be called "Mr Rule Book", he was illegally contacted by a defender who moved INTO the dribbler (interrupting the Rythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness).

Btw....Tony Greene is the official who ran directly I front of Roy Williams who was signaling and yelling for a timeout ....AND DID NOTHING.

Simply put, Tony has not had a season worthy of a Final Four assignment (or Elite Eight, for that matter).

I disagree with both of your takes

to accuse him of purposely ignoring a timeout request - who would do that? Those games are extremely loud and with that much at stake, who wouldn't be extremely locked in to the action. We've all had those situations where we either don't hear the coach, or can't tell what he wants (yelling "side-out" or something). I'm not sure what you have against Tony personally, but he's a hell of an official. And a lot of people must agree with me, otherwise he would not be calling an elite8 game between a 1 and 2.

come on, take off your tin foil hat

twocentsworth Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fortmoney (Post 929781)
I disagree with both of your takes

to accuse him of purposely ignoring a timeout request - who would do that? Those games are extremely loud and with that much at stake, who wouldn't be extremely locked in to the action. We've all had those situations where we either don't hear the coach, or can't tell what he wants (yelling "side-out" or something). I'm not sure what you have against Tony personally, but he's a hell of an official. And a lot of people must agree with me, otherwise he would not be calling an elite8 game between a 1 and 2.

come on, take off your tin foil hat

Watch the video of that play - even Ray Charles. An see Tony Greene running right past Coach Williams. The REAL problem is that Tony AND his partners didn't look at the UNC bench immediately after ISU scored. How can you possibly advance to the NCAA tournament as an official and NOT have game awareness that instinctively causes u to look at the bench immediately after a last second basket. It's so simple!!! It's unbelievable that not only didn't he look...HE RAN RIGHT PAST A COACH WHO SIGNALED AND CALLED FOR IT....

tomegun Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47pm

I would like to see the play without being critical of the official or giving the official a pass because of who he is - just look at the play for what it is. When I looked at it initially, I thought the defender was moving into the offensive player. If it happened that way, and I was the offensive player, I would push off too, especially if I needed to get such a critical shot off. However, if the defender was legal, the push off should have been called.

I think sometimes we lose site of the fact that even the best officials make mistakes. Again, I would like to see the play again, but I want to look at it for what it is.

If this play was called on the defense, what would people think?
If nothing was called on this play, what would people think?

bballref3966 Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:52pm

I don't understand people making a comparison of Greene's call against Syracuse to this call against Arizona. They are not similar at all, and he got both of them right. I give major props to Greene for doing his job and calling the game the same way from start to finish. I know a lot of officials that won't make that call just because time is winding down.

canuckrefguy Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 929769)
Great call if only you overlook the illegal sefensive contact that was creted by the defender moving INTO the path of the ball handler.

Which would have been called if he hadn't pushed off :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 929789)
I would like to see the play without being critical of the official or giving the official a pass because of who he is - just look at the play for what it is. When I looked at it initially, I thought the defender was moving into the offensive player. If it happened that way, and I was the offensive player, I would push off too, especially if I needed to get such a critical shot off. However, if the defender was legal, the push off should have been called.

"Coach, I was ready to call block until your guy pushed off".

If the defensive player does not initiate illegal contact, by rule it cannot be a defensive foul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 929787)
Watch the video of that play - even Ray Charles. An see Tony Greene running right past Coach Williams. The REAL problem is that Tony AND his partners didn't look at the UNC bench immediately after ISU scored. How can you possibly advance to the NCAA tournament as an official and NOT have game awareness that instinctively causes u to look at the bench immediately after a last second basket. It's so simple!!! It's unbelievable that not only didn't he look...HE RAN RIGHT PAST A COACH WHO SIGNALED AND CALLED FOR IT....

Boy are you going to look like an idiot when he's crew chief in the semis, or in the final :rolleyes:

Adam Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:19pm

Reminder/warning:
criticizing a play is ok

broadly demeaning an official and his abilities is not

APG Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:21pm

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UWlG2S4Taug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Adam Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26pm

After watching the replay, I see a defender with LGP moving laterally and towards the end line as the dribbler closes the gap. I like that call.

canuckrefguy Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 929800)
<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/UWlG2S4Taug" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

If you all will harken back to last year when Seth Davis ran that "block or charge" quiz on his blog in conjunction with NCAA Director of Officiating John Adams...Adams focused on plays EXACTLY like this - and commented that officials were calling it wrong much of the time.

This was a great call. And it's why Tony Greene has been in the national championship game three or four times.