The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Wisconsin-Arizona Player Control Foul (Video)

Tony Greene calls a player control foul on Arizona with 3.2 seconds left in OT. Looked like a good call. Ball handler created separation with the left arm.

Second gutsy player control foul call by Greene this season.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Great call.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Great call if only you overlook the illegal sefensive contact that was creted by the defender moving INTO the path of the ball handler.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Mar 29, 2014 at 11:01pm. Reason: personal attack on an official
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:11pm
Administrator

It was not a great call or a gutsy call. It was the correct call. And that is why Tony Greene was assigned to this game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It was not a great call or a gutsy call. It was the correct call. And that is why Tony Greene was assigned to this game.

MTD, Sr.
Very good point.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

MTD, Sr.
I am surprised that you would feel this way. By rule, and you - more than anyone on this forum - could easily be called "Mr Rule Book", he was illegally contacted by a defender who moved INTO the dribbler (interrupting the Rythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness).

Btw....Tony Greene is the official who ran directly I front of Roy Williams who was signaling and yelling for a timeout ....AND DID NOTHING.

Simply put, Tony has not had a season worthy of a Final Four assignment (or Elite Eight, for that matter).
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
I am surprised that you would feel this way. By rule, and you - more than anyone on this forum - could easily be called "Mr Rule Book", he was illegally contacted by a defender who moved INTO the dribbler (interrupting the Rythm, Speed, Balance, and Quickness).

Btw....Tony Greene is the official who ran directly I front of Roy Williams who was signaling and yelling for a timeout ....AND DID NOTHING.

Simply put, Tony has not had a season worthy of a Final Four assignment (or Elite Eight, for that matter).
I disagree with both of your takes

to accuse him of purposely ignoring a timeout request - who would do that? Those games are extremely loud and with that much at stake, who wouldn't be extremely locked in to the action. We've all had those situations where we either don't hear the coach, or can't tell what he wants (yelling "side-out" or something). I'm not sure what you have against Tony personally, but he's a hell of an official. And a lot of people must agree with me, otherwise he would not be calling an elite8 game between a 1 and 2.

come on, take off your tin foil hat
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I disagree with both of your takes

to accuse him of purposely ignoring a timeout request - who would do that? Those games are extremely loud and with that much at stake, who wouldn't be extremely locked in to the action. We've all had those situations where we either don't hear the coach, or can't tell what he wants (yelling "side-out" or something). I'm not sure what you have against Tony personally, but he's a hell of an official. And a lot of people must agree with me, otherwise he would not be calling an elite8 game between a 1 and 2.

come on, take off your tin foil hat
Watch the video of that play - even Ray Charles. An see Tony Greene running right past Coach Williams. The REAL problem is that Tony AND his partners didn't look at the UNC bench immediately after ISU scored. How can you possibly advance to the NCAA tournament as an official and NOT have game awareness that instinctively causes u to look at the bench immediately after a last second basket. It's so simple!!! It's unbelievable that not only didn't he look...HE RAN RIGHT PAST A COACH WHO SIGNALED AND CALLED FOR IT....
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:47pm
Huck Finn

I would like to see the play without being critical of the official or giving the official a pass because of who he is - just look at the play for what it is. When I looked at it initially, I thought the defender was moving into the offensive player. If it happened that way, and I was the offensive player, I would push off too, especially if I needed to get such a critical shot off. However, if the defender was legal, the push off should have been called.

I think sometimes we lose site of the fact that even the best officials make mistakes. Again, I would like to see the play again, but I want to look at it for what it is.

If this play was called on the defense, what would people think?
If nothing was called on this play, what would people think?
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

I don't understand people making a comparison of Greene's call against Syracuse to this call against Arizona. They are not similar at all, and he got both of them right. I give major props to Greene for doing his job and calling the game the same way from start to finish. I know a lot of officials that won't make that call just because time is winding down.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Great call if only you overlook the illegal sefensive contact that was creted by the defender moving INTO the path of the ball handler.
Which would have been called if he hadn't pushed off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I would like to see the play without being critical of the official or giving the official a pass because of who he is - just look at the play for what it is. When I looked at it initially, I thought the defender was moving into the offensive player. If it happened that way, and I was the offensive player, I would push off too, especially if I needed to get such a critical shot off. However, if the defender was legal, the push off should have been called.
"Coach, I was ready to call block until your guy pushed off".

If the defensive player does not initiate illegal contact, by rule it cannot be a defensive foul.

Quote:
Watch the video of that play - even Ray Charles. An see Tony Greene running right past Coach Williams. The REAL problem is that Tony AND his partners didn't look at the UNC bench immediately after ISU scored. How can you possibly advance to the NCAA tournament as an official and NOT have game awareness that instinctively causes u to look at the bench immediately after a last second basket. It's so simple!!! It's unbelievable that not only didn't he look...HE RAN RIGHT PAST A COACH WHO SIGNALED AND CALLED FOR IT....
Boy are you going to look like an idiot when he's crew chief in the semis, or in the final

Last edited by canuckrefguy; Sat Mar 29, 2014 at 11:26pm.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Reminder/warning:
criticizing a play is ok

broadly demeaning an official and his abilities is not
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

After watching the replay, I see a defender with LGP moving laterally and towards the end line as the dribbler closes the gap. I like that call.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If you all will harken back to last year when Seth Davis ran that "block or charge" quiz on his blog in conjunction with NCAA Director of Officiating John Adams...Adams focused on plays EXACTLY like this - and commented that officials were calling it wrong much of the time.

This was a great call. And it's why Tony Greene has been in the national championship game three or four times.