The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:48pm
AremRed

I have a foul on the initial defender. The defender never had LGP and is just silly to try and defend like that. If I pass on that, I would have a foul on the defender jumping on top of the other player.

I would whack the coach for that stutter-step down the sideline combined with the arm movement. If I missed that, I would whack the coach for coming out of her huddle to yell and point at the officials again.

The coach also threw a fit with 6:00 left in the second half and the game was close the rest of the way so I assume none of the officials took care of the problem.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

100% a foul by the Texas defender. This illegal contact causes the dribbler to go to the floor and lose possession of the ball.
100% a technical foul by the Maryland coach for jumping up and down and hollering.

Are NCAAW officials neutered? This has to be one of the easiest Ts on a coach that is possible.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
100% a foul by the Texas defender. This illegal contact causes the dribbler to go to the floor and lose possession of the ball.
100% a technical foul by the Maryland coach for jumping up and down and hollering.
The contact on the BH/D is one of the plays specifically identified in our (NCAAW) preseason videos that we're supposed to call. I'm surprised no one put a whistle on it. When the C didn't get it the L and T probably figured there hand't been any illegal contact.

And yes, Brenda Freese needed to get a T for going berserk and leaving the coaching box to do so. What she did was identified in last year's preseason video as conduct that must be penalized.

Quote:
Are NCAAW officials neutered? This has to be one of the easiest Ts on a coach that is possible.
You mean the way NCAAM's officials hand out Ts to coaches every time they lose it on the sidelines?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 09:50am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Seriously?

Are you off your meds again? You make a valid argument for something and then end your post by slamming an entire group of people based on one 20 second clip...smdh.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
The contact on the BH/D is one of the plays specifically identified in our (NCAAW) preseason videos that we're supposed to call. I'm surprised no one put a whistle on it. When the C didn't get it the L and T probably figured there hand't been any illegal contact.
Well is it possible that the official felt that the ball handler was falling on their own? I keep reading people say, "That kind of contact needs to be called" but if the BH is falling on their own, that contact was not special or contributed to the player falling. After all, they did pass on a foul. That might have been the reasoning even if you or others disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
And yes, Brenda Freese needed to get a T for going berserk and leaving the coaching box to do so. What she did was identified in last year's preseason video as conduct that must be penalized.

You mean the way NCAAM's officials hand out Ts to coaches every time they lose it on the sidelines?
Right or wrong, NCAAM's side does give out more Ts and high profile situations. For some reason you see coaches on the NCAAW's side has coaches throwing and stomping and nothing is done. And it is much more than a 20 second clip to make that determination. I have some ideas why, but then again that will offend people here, so why bother.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:09am

I was at the game sitting across from the benches looking at it from almost directly behind the C. 6 rows up. I was there with two other NCAA-W officials. Watching it live, all of us thought the dribbler had started to lose the ball and started to fall on her own. We were all ok with the no call. That being said, all three of us thought Brenda Frese deserved the T when she walked away from her team and back toward the play. FWIW, during the timeout interval, the R talked to her and she shook her head ok and walked away.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:10am
Esteemed Participant

There are more coaches on the men's side who act like a Cronin or a Kryzewhooski than there are on the women's side...so of course there are more T's there.

Did this Coach deserve a T? Yep...and there were probably 3 or 4 games last week where a Men's coach deserved a T but didn't get one.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
I was at the game sitting across from the benches looking at it from almost directly behind the C. 6 rows up. I was there with two other NCAA-W officials. Watching it live, all of us thought the dribbler had started to lose the ball and started to fall on her own. We were all ok with the no call. That being said, all three of us thought Brenda Frese deserved the T when she walked away from her team and back toward the play. FWIW, during the timeout interval, the R talked to her and she shook her head ok and walked away.
I just don't see that from the video, but I appreciate the "I was there" account. Seriously. I'll go back and look at it again.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW I'm an alum and big fan of the woman's program at Maryland.

I like the held ball call.

I think the UMD player is losing her balance on her own and I don't have a foul on that or when the Texas player goes to the floor for the tie up either.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
FWIW I'm an alum and big fan of the woman's program at Maryland.

I like the held ball call.

I think the UMD player is losing her balance on her own and I don't have a foul on that or when the Texas player goes to the floor for the tie up either.
If she was losing her balance, it was because she was reacting to a defender cutting her off...anticipating/preparing the contact which did occur. I don't see that as a reason to ignore the contact by the defender. If not for the defender coming in like that, there wouldn't have been anything to talk about.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 27, 2014 at 03:47pm.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If she was losing her balance, it was because she was reacting to an defender cutting her off...anticipating/preparing the contact which did occur. I don't see that as a reason to ignore the contact by the defender. If not for the defender coming in like that, there wouldn't have been anything to talk about.
You are right, that the ball handler did try to shield the ball and fell down. The question was that caused by the contact by the defender or the BH's adjustment caused the BH to fall. I think the latter applied here. And the official on the play had a decent angle. It is not about ignoring anything, we just disagree which one was a result before the other. After all that is why there is a rule for incidental contact. Not all contact is a foul.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:23pm
AremRed

Quote:
If she was losing her balance, it was because she was reacting to an defender cutting her off...anticipating/preparing the contact which did occur. I don't see that as a reason to ignore the contact by the defender. If not for the defender coming in like that, there wouldn't have been anything to talk about.
What the defender did was just silly. You don't guard like that. That's not LGP. Unless the dribbler runs into the back of a defender to try to get a call, I am calling this contact every time.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think this is a dangerous line of thinking. To apply it to another situation say a shooter is going up with a shot and loses control of the ball on their own as they lose focus anticipating contact from an approaching defender. The defender then makes slight contact on the arm with the player who has already lost control of the ball. This contact is incidental and I'm not calling the foul. Would you award 2 shots in this situation? (I know it's hard to deal in hypotheticals but humor me)

IMO the same applies here. It does not really matter why the ball handler went down without contact b/c she did. And I think the slight contact by the defender here with a ball handler who had already lost her balance is incidental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
What the defender did was just silly. You don't guard like that. That's not LGP. Unless the dribbler runs into the back of a defender to try to get a call, I am calling this contact every time.
So now we are penalizing the defense for being silly? Got it.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:37pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
So now we are penalizing the defense for being silly? Got it.
I did not say that. I am penalizing the defense for contact causing the dribbler to go down. The contact is not incidental because the defender never established Legal Guarding Position, and as such is liable for the contact in this situation.

My comment still stands: it was silly for the defender to put herself in that position.
Old Thu Mar 27, 2014, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
We do not call fouls based on the evaluation or rating of their defense. They might have felt they were going to foul, but the BH decided to adjust and no one was there.

Peace