The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 25, 2014, 07:25pm
AremRed

Texas-Maryland Womens (Video)

Would anyone whack the Maryland coach for what she did at 15:28 second half? Is there a foul on the previous action starting at 15:30?
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:53pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I probably wouldn't.

I might not have had anything on the first action which caused the Md player to go to the floor. But, when that same Texas player dove on the Md player on the floor......I would think that's what she's complaining about, and I'd like to think I'd put air in my whistle there.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Would be interesting to have seen a wider picture. I'm thinking that the new Lead would be the one to see and call this, but may have been focused elsewhere. Anything T-worthy had ended by the time the held ball was called so I can see why the T and C missed it.

Focusing only on the coach, I would have a T.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I might not have had anything on the first action which caused the Md player to go to the floor. But, when that same Texas player dove on the Md player on the floor......I would think that's what she's complaining about, and I'd like to think I'd put air in my whistle there.
Agree with this about hopefully having a whistle for the dive on top of the player, although I don't think that's what the coach was complaining about. She is already jumping up and down outside the coaches box before the defender dives onto her player.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:13pm
Esteemed Participant

First contact should have been a foul by NCAA-W POE. C had a good look at it but didn't call it. If it had been called, there would be no need to worry about the Coach.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

A1 loses her balance and falls on her own. B1 didn't dive on top of A1. So I have nothing but a held ball like the officials did.

MD coach would get a "calm down" from me if I'm the new Lead. But if that's all she's done the entire game I'm not seeing a T for this.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Agree with this about hopefully having a whistle for the dive on top of the player, although I don't think that's what the coach was complaining about. She is already jumping up and down outside the coaches box before the defender dives onto her player.
I'm not so sure there was much contact made by the Texas player diving for the loose ball. Looks like there was leg contact, but definitely not torso or full body contact. The MD player 'dove on' pops right up to her feet by the time a held ball is called. No way she gets up that quick if she was dove on, as we all normally would expect that action to look like.

Not sure on whacking the MD coach. Would like to think the new L would have his partners' backs on that one, since both have a lot of on-ball activity and players to deal with. She should at least be talked to and perhaps warned.

BTW, I thought it was a good no-call. Dribbler initiated the contact causing her to go down.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Appears to me that the Texas defender bumped the dribbler. When she falls, I'm grabbing that foul.

B player doesn't have LGP. Even if A initiates the contact, it's a B foul.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:30pm
Esteemed Participant

And that kind of contact on the dribbler is a POE in NCAA-W games this year. Should have been called.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
And that kind of contact on the dribbler is a POE in NCAA-W games this year. Should have been called.
Yes, easy block call. There was nothing legal about the defenders position.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

99 out of 100 officials are going to make that call....simple block.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
I will admit that in a HS game I'm probably waiting to see if RSBQ is affected in a meaningful way before putting air in my whistle.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 05:56pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I will admit that in a HS game I'm probably waiting to see if RSBQ is affected in a meaningful way before putting air in my whistle.
Agreed.
Old Wed Mar 26, 2014, 07:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
A1 loses her balance and falls on her own. B1 didn't dive on top of A1. So I have nothing but a held ball like the officials did.

MD coach would get a "calm down" from me if I'm the new Lead. But if that's all she's done the entire game I'm not seeing a T for this.
It looks to me the second time I saw this, that the ball handler was falling and the defender was getting out of the way.

I would like to see more to completely dismiss the "dive" onto the ball handler. But I can see for sure why nothing was called.

Peace