The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:14pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Kansas State v. Texas: Basket Interference (Video)



Yes, they did count the basket. Pretty surprised they did.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 5,642
Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.
__________________
There was the person who sent ten puns to friends, with the hope that at least one of the puns would make them laugh. No pun in ten did.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:24pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
and there's a lot of great videos after this one......thanks for posting.
Unintentional on my part...put an embed code that included a playlist with all 270 or so clips on the channel.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:30pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,950
Philosophically I know this is a violation, but should it be one in reality?

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 12:35pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Philosophically I know this is a violation, but should it be one in reality?

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace
I didn't include this in the clip, but according to the broadcast, the officials told them that they counted the basket precisely because the ball went in the basket w/o touching the basket or the player.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Philosophically I know this is a violation, but should it be one in reality?

A fouled player loses the ball in an dunk attempt and the ball goes in the hole anyway without his complete control. Should we penalize the shooter for something the defense created?

I am seriously conflicted with the situation so I do not have a definitive answer. I would like to hear other opinions.

Peace
My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 752
The dude is hanging on the rim!
Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 . . . Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
My thoughts too. I'm OK, philosophically, with counting this one since the ball didn't hit the rim and wasn't touched by the player....no effect at all...particularly since he was found and probably only grabbed the rime as a result.
That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 23, 2014, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's only ok if he lets go of the ring before the ball enters. So it would be fine had he pulled down the movable ring AND RELEASED IT, then the ball enters, and even though the ring has yet to return to its normal position, if it does not contact the ring on the way through there is no violation.

The posted play is different because the man is still grasping the ring when the ball enters the basket. That is not permitted BY RULE. We can't disregard the rules we don't like or don't agree with.
Note that I said philosophically. I was not saying it was correct by rule.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Interesting play.

I always try to watch it once and make up my mind. When I saw it, I thought the offensive player let go of the rim and the ball did not contact the rim.

So I also would have gotten this wrong. In slow motion and from various angles the offensive player is clearly still holding onto the rim.

I can see how they missed this, I'm pretty sure this is not reviewable.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 12:45am
rsl rsl is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 300
4-7-2 exception

EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

This sure seems to meet the exception in FED rules. I don't know college.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 01:15am
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

This sure seems to meet the exception in FED rules. I don't know college.
How was his hand legally in contact with the ball when he lost contact with the ball prior to it entering the basket?
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 24, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsl View Post
EXCEPTION: In Arts. 1 or 2, if a player has his/her hand legally in contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact with the ball continues after it enters a basket cylinder or if in such action, the player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket interference.

This sure seems to meet the exception in FED rules. I don't know college.
The college rule is (at least essentially) the same. And, you can parse the sentence and the ruling in 9.11.2B so it applies. I'm not sure that's what they meant, though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Request: Kansas vs. Iowa State JRutledge Basketball 22 Tue Feb 26, 2013 08:39am
NCAA Question - Kansas/Kansas State game jdw3018 Basketball 4 Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:49pm
Kansas/Texas Game Sit. wildcatter Basketball 14 Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:53am
Texas vs Kansas - Swim Move mcrowder Football 12 Fri Nov 19, 2004 04:29pm
Delay of Game? (Kansas vs. Texas) zebraman Basketball 15 Wed Jan 29, 2003 06:28pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1