The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
This isn't even remotely close to a travel. Gather happens, pivot foot comes down, never comes back to the floor.
Guys, you can call this play a travel, but you would be wrong. IF you think this is a travel (and make this call), I can assure you that you won't even come remotely close to getting championship game (regardless of level) assignments.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've watched it, stop-actioned, frame-by-frame. I'm still not willing to say it's definitely a travel or not. Therefore, it's not.

I have one conclusion, though. Some people are great officials on the Internet or on YouTube.

I can't imagine anyone working a game of any real magnitude making this call.
Well , you have gone from saying "that this is not remotely close to travel and you are on a crusade" to " I'm not willing to say it is a travel or not and a YouTube official" Not sure what that is all about: either 1) you don't know what a pivot foot is( probably not the case) or 2) gave a statement about something that you didn't look at properly

Now back to the point I was trying to make. In games of "real magnitude", I agree no one would make this call even though it was clearly a travel. So why not adapt the NBA rule and make it easy to call and catch up to the way its called anyway.
Not trying to ruffle feathers but the NBA has figured it out.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 07:22pm
NFHS Official

Maybe a travel should just be called when it happens.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 07:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
Guys, you can call this play a travel, but you would be wrong. IF you think this is a travel (and make this call), I can assure you that you won't even come remotely close to getting championship game (regardless of level) assignments.
You would be wrong. There is disagreement on this play from at least two officials who are championship level officials in their respective states.

You may want to refrain from such blanket assessments.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish View Post
Not going to be called in real time Cam.
Agree...likely not.

Hey, and I pulled you out of the shadows.

Was great working with you last week!

Last edited by Camron Rust; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 10:59pm.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a travel. You might not catch it live, but it was. And if I saw it, I'd call it....and have called it.

If you think that getting a call right will keep someone out of a championship, they you have a funny way of judging ability.

Oh, and I know at least one multi-championship official that would have no trouble calling it.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This isn't even remotely close to a travel. Gather happens, pivot foot comes down, never comes back to the floor.

Officials do not count the number of steps. Period.
Sorry, but that is a textbook travel. The dribble ends with the player putting both hands on the ball while his right foot is still on the floor. He then steps with his left and followed by his right.
Illegal. Too bad an NCAA championship game ended in such a manner.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is about dumbest comment made on this forum in several years.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Too bad an NCAA championship game ended in such a manner.
Said only you and the minority.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It was a travel. You might not catch it live, but it was. And if I saw it, I'd call it....and have called it.

If you think that getting a call right will keep someone out of a championship, they you have a funny way of judging ability.

Oh, and I know at least one multi-championship official that would have no trouble calling it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Sorry, but that is a textbook travel. The dribble ends with the player putting both hands on the ball while his right foot is still on the floor. He then steps with his left and followed by his right.
Illegal. Too bad an NCAA championship game ended in such a manner.
Make that two (and probably a lot more).
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 07:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Guys:

I know many of you have impeccable credentials and I'm not trying to undermine them.

I would never question anyone's integrity. Even if it's technically a travel (I'm saying that for discussion purposes only) I just don't see it picked up and I don't see it called in real time in the floor. Not at this level, not at the D1 level. Why would it get called at a lower level?

A better philosophical discussion would be whether it makes sense for anyone to call something that not a single participant, coach, media person, or fan expects to be called. Can anyone find a single comment on this play other than on the officiating forum?
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guys:

I know many of you have impeccable credentials and I'm not trying to undermine them.

I would never question anyone's integrity. Even if it's technically a travel (I'm saying that for discussion purposes only) I just don't see it picked up and I don't see it called in real time in the floor. Not at this level, not at the D1 level. Why would it get called at a lower level?

A better philosophical discussion would be whether it makes sense for anyone to call something that not a single participant, coach, media person, or fan expects to be called. Can anyone find a single comment on this play other than on the officiating forum?
1998 D1 Men summer tournament, I called an obvious travel near the end of a Bronze medal game, on a breakaway dunk . . . it nearly cost me my contract. Our Supervisor was there, and let me know that although the call might be correct, by the rule, nobody wanted it called and in such a case, I should let it go . . .
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump stop View Post

Here is another example of dribble ending and 2 steps. In NCAA tourney games this does not get called. No one protested these end of the game moves. "The Game" is at the point where people are comfortable with 2 steps after the dribble ends.
A) Worst video ever.
B) What is this 2 steps nonsense?
C) Please review what a "gather" is and how it applies here before stepping back on the court.

This one's not really even close.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

The issue here is not whether or not the footwork when broken down on video is a travel.

The issue is that in real time in real life when you determine the gather takes place.

I don't like the NBA rule as much as I like the NFHS/fiba rule and interps. I think that regionally/nationally and god forbid internationally there can be a better job done of establishing guidelines and following guidelines for things like:
-when the gather occurs
- difference between a stride and jump and step
- whether a step is what they want to take on the catch or could take
- when the ball leaves the hand vs. when the dribbling motion starts
etc.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Mar 24, 2014, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
A) Worst video ever.
B) What is this 2 steps nonsense?
C) Please review what a "gather" is and how it applies here before stepping back on the court.

This one's not really even close.
I think it's pretty evident what the Op is referencing. The OP is referencing the NBA rule book, which specifically uses steps to determine the pivot foot. The play in question wouldn't even be an issue under NBA rules.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.