View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 23, 2014, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Steps? We Don't Count No Stinkin' Steps ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Officials do not count the number of steps.
Rich is 100% correct. To judge if a player travels, or not, an official determines which foot is the pivot foot, and then, knowing the limitations on moving that pivot foot, applies the rule to decide if, indeed, traveling has occurred.

A player can take fifteen "steps" with his nonpivot foot (jab steps) and never travel, as long as the keeps the pivot foot stationary. He can then legally lift his pivot foot to pass, or make a try for goal. It's not a travel unless his pivot foot touches the floor before he releases the pass, or try. He can also legally start a dribble, as long as he releases the ball before he lifts his pivot foot, and of course, as long as he hasn't already ended a previous dribble, but that would be an illegal (double) dribble, not a travel, and that's a story for another night. And the next night I can tell you a story about jump stops.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 23, 2014 at 12:03pm.