The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 07:35pm
C'mon man!!

Penn State and Minnesota sequence starting at 4:08 second half.

Thoughts on the contact on the Penn state side of the floor but my main question was what are people's thoughts on the the trails mechanic just after the 4:00 play. Thanks.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

L (Kitts) was right on the play. He didn't look too happy with Boroski taking the call.

Boroski had a really rough game. Called a completely phantom lane violation at a critical time. I'm not sure how calls like that are missed. It happened with :55 left in the 2nd half if someone wants to get video.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 07:51pm
C'mon man!!

While we are at it. Lane violation Penn State-Minnesota 58 seconds left second half

Talking heads said that it was "stunningly bad." I actually thought it was a good call.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2014, 08:50pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
L (Kitts) was right on the play. He didn't look too happy with Boroski taking the call.

Boroski had a really rough game. Called a completely phantom lane violation at a critical time. I'm not sure how calls like that are missed. It happened with :55 left in the 2nd half if someone wants to get video.
Why didn't you like the lane violation, or more correctly disconcertion?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:07am
AremRed

Some of you may be able to browse to the plays (3:56 and 0:55 second half) here: ESPN3 -- Penn State vs. Minnesota
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 04:22am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post

I agree. Disconcerting Action and the talking heads did not have a clue.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. And for those of you who want to know why I am up at the hour of the morning. Our dog sleeps on the floor on the "better half's" side of the bed. BUT!! When he wants to go outside, he wakes me up, !
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Mar 14, 2014 at 04:27am. Reason: Added P.S.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 04:37am
AremRed

For everyone's information this was called a lane violation on Penn State #10, not disconcertion by Penn State #23 or any other player. In the replay from behind the shooter we can clearly see #10 (lowest block opposite L and T, left side from that angle) move his right foot into the offensive players lane space. #23 even has time to move his foot back into his own space before the release of the FT.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 07:54am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
For everyone's information this was called a lane violation on Penn State #10, not disconcertion by Penn State #23 or any other player. In the replay from behind the shooter we can clearly see #10 (lowest block opposite L and T, left side from that angle) move his right foot into the offensive players lane space. #23 even has time to move his foot back into his own space before the release of the FT.

I did not see PSU-10's lane violation but PSU-23's Disconcertion was so obvious.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
He clearly called a lane violation on Blue 10, not disconcertion.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
L (Kitts) was right on the play. He didn't look too happy with Boroski taking the call...
Actually, Kitts didn't put himself in a good position to see the foul by stopping where he did. Boroski had the angle to see between the players.

Quote:
...Boroski had a really rough game. Called a completely phantom lane violation at a critical time. I'm not sure how calls like that are missed. It happened with :55 left in the 2nd half if someone wants to get video.
It wasn't phantom, but it was minor. I would not come from the T on a free throw to get something that obscure.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because, as noted, he didn't call disconcertion. He called a lane violation on #10. Maybe I missed it, but I certainly didn't see #10 enter the lane early.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=ILRef80;926974]L (Kitts) was right on the play. He didn't look too happy with Boroski taking the call.QUOTE]

That is ABSOLUTELY A FOUL. Kitts was "straightlined" and couldn't see the foul. If Kitts is mad at anyone....he should be mad at himself for ONCE AGAIN not being in position to see a play in his area. (That's a pretty common theme when he officiates).
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 12:12pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It wasn't phantom, but it was minor. I would not come from the T on a free throw to get something that obscure.
Yeah, I wonder why the Trail was looking there and then why he felt the need to call that. Maybe just let Lead take the backlash for missing that.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2014, 01:48pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
That is ABSOLUTELY A FOUL. Kitts was "straightlined" and couldn't see the foul. If Kitts is mad at anyone....he should be mad at himself for ONCE AGAIN not being in position to see a play in his area. (That's a pretty common theme when he officiates).
It's a Division 1 game with Division 1 athletes. I think anyone would be behind the play, not just Kitts. Hell, look at the play right before. The Trail running to new Lead got stuck in the same spot Kitts did, and probably missed a foul at the other end.