The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This happened Saturday at a boys varsity tournament. Both teams come out to start the second half. The officials administer the AP throw-in. Team A goes down the court and misses a jump shot. Team B rebounds and comes down the court. At this point the officials realize that there was never any time put on the clock. It still read 0.0. After fixing the clock they gave the ball to team B for a throw-in. I know that it was the officials fault for not checking to see that time was put on the clock and that it started. After the mistake was made, was this the correct way to fix it? What if Team A had scored? Would the basket have counted?
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yuck, what a way to start the half. You wouldn't start the half over, you'd just set the clock as best you can and continue on. Just like they did.

Z
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 06:46pm
Administrator

If you think that is a bad way to start the second half, I witnessed and even worse situation. And I apologize in advance for the wordy post.

A few years ago I attended a men's college game. It was a league game in a Div. I mid-major. I did not know the three officials officiating the game, but a personal friend was the league observer at the site, the league's supervisor of officials, who is a personal friend was in attendence at the game and was sitting courtside with the observer. Sitting in front of me was an observer from a major conference, who was not a personal friend of mine but we had known each other for a number of years and we were on a first name basis, was observing the entire crew for possible invitations to the major conference's tryout camp the next summer. If anything were to go wrong this was not the game for it to happen. BUT....

The NCAA had used a 40 sec shot clock as an experimental rule that year and this was the first league game of the season for these two schools. When the game started the shot clock was set at 45 sec. Major conference observer asks me if this conference was using a 45 sec shot clock as an experimental rule and I told him that I did not think so. Team A controls the tip, takes the ball down the court and scores. Team B inbounds the ball, takes it down the court and scores. Team A inbounds the ball, takes the ball down the court and when it gets the ball in its frontcourt the horn sounds. The officials stop play and goes to the all three of them go to the Table. The shot clock shows 35 sec on it. After a short discussion, the shot clock is changed to 25 sec and the shot clock is set to 35 sec the rest of the game. Shortly before halftime the league supervisor left his courtside seat headed to the officials' dressing room. I would have loved to been a fly on the wall of the dressing room at halftime.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Mar 20, 2005, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

I dunno - could be a good argument to go with the casebook play saying that, if the clock is set wrong to start the period, you can set it down to the correct time, but can't add time on.

3rd quarter is over, let's start the 4th!