The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 11:38am
Courageous When Prudent

The more I watch the video, the less I think TV did anything wrong. Cronin is an a$$ for running down to the end line to confront TV. Cronin is also an a$$ for telling the unseen new Lead to "get over here", as if the official is his child.

On top of that, Cincy #2, the player who caused the ball to go OOB, got away a foul on the initial rebounding action that caused the loose ball.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The more I watch the video, the less I think TV did anything wrong. Cronin is an a$$ for running down to the end line to confront TV. Cronin is also an a$$ for telling the unseen new Lead to "get over here", as if the official is his child.

On top of that, Cincy #2, the player who caused the ball to go OOB, got away a foul on the initial rebounding action that caused the loose ball.
Well, if Cronin was being an a$$ just call the T on him and be done with it. He would've been upset but when you run 28 feet to protest an OOB a T shouldn't be a shock.

I know Valentine can get away with things we can't because he has that status but no one in the building knows he has an otherwise good relationship with Cronin away from the court. Either call the T or give him the hand and put the ball back in play.

We're supposed to be above all this stuff, aren't we?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 12:20pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post

Yes we are.

We don't get to act like asshats just because the coach does. Our standards are different, and they should be. There are ways to deal with coach behavior. Mr. Valentine chose to ignore those and handle it his own way, which only accomplished throwing gas on the fire.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 12:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Well, if Cronin was being an a$$ just call the T on him and be done with it. He would've been upset but when you run 28 feet to protest an OOB a T shouldn't be a shock.

I know Valentine can get away with things we can't because he has that status but no one in the building knows he has an otherwise good relationship with Cronin away from the court. Either call the T or give him the hand and put the ball back in play.

Have you ever considered that the way TV handles these situations is one of the reasons so many supervisors employ him?
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have you ever considered that the way TV handles these situations is one of the reasons so many supervisors employ him?
Nope. Try it a few times and see if your supervisor keeps you on very long. My guess is if you try it, you're be canned before long.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I am not qualified to judge TV's action. But I will say this, I would not confront a coach in this manner. I would either ignore him because it's an OOB call and I'm all over it and he starts at half court trying to make an argument. Alternatively, I have him join the T party.

In either case, I'm not arguing an OOB.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Only A Small Cup, My Name Will Just Go So Far ...

I've never officiated a big time (or even a small time) NCAA game (although I have officiated in the Hartford XL Center, it's really bright out on that floor). I thought that Valentine's quick steps toward the coach seemed a little awkward, almost like he was charging the coach, and looking for a fight. If Valentine had just walked over to the coach and did what he did, then I would feel lot better about how he handled the situation (not knowing exactly what was said by the coach). That's my high school official mentality opinion, for whatever it's worth (my opinion and $1.75 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, just mention my name).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 02, 2014 at 01:56pm.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nope. Try it a few times and see if your supervisor keeps you on very long. My guess is if you try it, you're be canned before long.

Your answer has nothing to do with my question. Let's try again since you are making me the subject of the question for whatever reason.

TV has been doing this for a long time. TV is in many conferences. The AAC is a brand new conference sprung off the Big East. TV did not work in the Big East, so he is not a holdover hire.

Maybe, just maybe, supervisors like having TV out there because they like having a gunslinger on their staff who handles things just a little differently.

Based on your answer, TV will be fired from the AAC after this season, right?
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your answer has nothing to do with my question. Let's try again since you are making me the subject of the question for whatever reason.

TV has been doing this for a long time. TV is in many conferences. The AAC is a brand new conference sprung off the Big East. TV did not work in the Big East, so he is not a holdover hire.

Maybe, just maybe, supervisors like having TV out there because they like having a gunslinger on their staff who handles things just a little differently.

Based on your answer, TV will be fired from the AAC after this season, right?
I answered the question already. But here it is again in different words. There are reasons they keep him but this is probably one of those things they put up with to get the rest of the package. My guess is neither you nor I have what it is that is keeping him on staff when he pulls some stunt like that.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 01:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fired From Retired ???

Quote:
TV will be fired from the AAC after this season, right?
Well, I know, for sure, that he won't be doing any ACC games next year. Want to bet against me?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 07:04pm
AremRed

Why does the thread say (edited) now?

Anyway, I think Teddy's initial rushing over to the coach was fine. He had his ear turned and listened to the coach for a second, and repeated his signal.

I do think he shouldn't have stepped into the coach's face after that. Give him a tech and get away or put the ball in play and get away.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 07:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I am not qualified to judge TV's action. But I will say this, I would not confront a coach in this manner. I would either ignore him because it's an OOB call and I'm all over it and he starts at half court trying to make an argument. Alternatively, I have him join the T party.

In either case, I'm not arguing an OOB.
Well you do not have the "juice" that he has and neither do most of us. But to think we cannot ever say anything to a coach is silly. And often I can tell you that everyone is not happy that we give a T from the supervisor point of view.

Also he probably was not addressing the actual call, but the thing Cronin said.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 08:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Follow up.

Cronin Addresses Heated Argument With Ref - ESPN Video - ESPN

Old Sun Mar 02, 2014, 08:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Waaaaaaawaaaaaawaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Peace
Old Mon Mar 03, 2014, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well you do not have the "juice" that he has and neither do most of us. But to think we cannot ever say anything to a coach is silly. And often I can tell you that everyone is not happy that we give a T from the supervisor point of view.

Also he probably was not addressing the actual call, but the thing Cronin said.

Peace
I got more juice than OJ.