The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:54am

Attitude and Knowing the Rules

So after my 1st season I feel like I have learned quite a bit about being an official, and the number one thing I need to work on for next year is knowing the rules better. I thought I knew the rules well but after reading some posts on this forum I realize I don't know the rules as well as I thought. I admire everyone on here who knows the rules right down to the smallest detail. Obviously that comes from experience but are you also constantly paging through the book to keep yourself on top of the rules?

Also, I admit that I start to second guess myself a little bit when I hear coaches getting on me (or fans). I still call the game like I see it but doubt does creep up on me and on occasion has affected my play calling. Any advice on this too?

I definitely want to get better and I want people, and my assignor, to be able to rely on my ability. I thank everyone on this forum for help this season. Any more advice on my top issues, or anything else someone might want to add, would be very much appreciated. I have a handful of games left this season and would like to finish strong.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 08:03am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You've officially caught the refereeing bug! Good for you!

Caring about the avocation, wanting to get better and striving to improve your game will take you far. Keep reading the books and learning. Never become "that guy."

Also remember where you came from, so as you gain more experience you can give back, coach, and mentor the younger officials coming up.

PS - Don't LISTEN to the fans. Sheesh! That may be the "second rule" of officiating!
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Education Is The Key To Success ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
I admire everyone on here who knows the rules right down to the smallest detail.
While there may, indeed, be a few Forum members who, without the aid of a book, or a video replay, know the rules down to the smallest detail (always listen to bob), most of us are always learning, in my case, even after thirty-three years. Always learning, as you should be.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So after my 1st season I feel like I have learned quite a bit about being an official, and the number one thing I need to work on for next year is knowing the rules better. I thought I knew the rules well but after reading some posts on this forum I realize I don't know the rules as well as I thought. I admire everyone on here who knows the rules right down to the smallest detail. Obviously that comes from experience but are you also constantly paging through the book to keep yourself on top of the rules?

For every rules question that's asked here, (a) answer it to your sefl first; (b) look it up to see if you were correct; (c) THEN read the rest of the answers here to confirm / get variations / get other explanations.

And, when you have a question in a game, look it up.

Sure, it's a lot easier to just get the answer here -- but you will learn a lot more about that question if you look it up AND you will find other things you didn't know.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:13am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
I thought I knew the rules well but after reading some posts on this forum I realize I don't know the rules as well as I thought.

[...]

Also, I admit that I start to second guess myself a little bit when I hear coaches getting on me (or fans). I still call the game like I see it but doubt does creep up on me and on occasion has affected my play calling. Any advice on this too?

I definitely want to get better and I want people, and my assignor, to be able to rely on my ability.
I have to admit that when I attended my first association meeting last year, I was surprised to learn that what I thought was a legal move was a travel. So, as a new official, one almost needs to devote time to rule study because of "Gee, I didn't know that" moments.

If I wonder if I've handled a play right, especially if it's a rare scenario where you and your partner look at each other with the "what do we do now?" look, I'll check the rule/case book when I get home. if I see the play was handled right, great. If not, it's a learning experience that I also record in my journal.

When it comes to fans/coaches, I have to repeat what's been said here before and exude confidence. It won't stop the coaches from disagreeing, but coaches that sense uncertainty in an official will take advantage of it as much as possible.

In my first year (a year ago) I was focused mainly on learning rules/mechanics and focusing on my PCA. This year, I've done a better job with off-ball coverage, calling travels, etc. I've still got much to learn, but every game is a chance to learn a little more.

As an aside, this year, I spent the money to order the NFHS officials manual because it covers items our state manual does not. I found that very informative as well.

Hope to see more posts from you next season.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 12:13pm
#thereferee99

The essential truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
For every rules question that's asked here, (a) answer it to your sefl first; (b) look it up to see if you were correct; (c) THEN read the rest of the answers here to confirm / get variations / get other explanations.

And, when you have a question in a game, look it up.

Sure, it's a lot easier to just get the answer here -- but you will learn a lot more about that question if you look it up AND you will find other things you didn't know.
This rinse/repeat approach is guaranteed to work.
First year? You should have one or more situations from every single game (if not more) where you are sent diving into the rules/case books.
Find the answers; learn from your mistakes and those of your partners/crew.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... but you will learn a lot more about that question if you look it up ...
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will learn how to sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I never come to the forum with a rules question unless I have looked it up myself first. If I can get to the forum, I can get to a rule book.

Knowing the rules gives me the confidence to deal with any situation, and the ability to explain any ruling to a HC.

Quote:
...Also, I admit that I start to second guess myself a little bit when I hear coaches getting on me (or fans). I still call the game like I see it but doubt does creep up on me and on occasion has affected my play calling. Any advice on this too?
Every trip down the court is a new play. Focus each play, and rule on what you see ON THAT PLAY. Do not let crowds and coaches make you doubt your training. They are all biased.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I definitely want to get better and I want people, and my assignor, to be able to rely on my ability. I thank everyone on this forum for help this season. Any more advice on my top issues, or anything else someone might want to add, would be very much appreciated. I have a handful of games left this season and would like to finish strong.
It seems as if you enjoy officiating and want to get better. Thats a good thing!! I believe you'll get more proficient at the areas you mention with more experience. Going to camps, watching other officials, picking others brains and reading definitely helps but the best teacher of all is doing it on the court!! Good luck to you