The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

correct me if I am wrong,but you do not call a 3 second count on someone when a team shoots and the ball is being rebounded and put back up several times in a row.Correct?The game Tuesday and last Thursdays game was kinda funny to me.I have a friend who is a good gal and she comes to all her daughters sporting events.She gets so load it embarreses me and everyone in the gym almost.She will stand up and hollar at the top of her lungs"3 seconds 3 seconds" everytime the opposing team shoots and the girls are fighting for the rebound,clearly no one has possession.
I have tryed to explain to her about the 3 second rule and she just don`t get it.She even played growing up.But now she`s so loud her husband won`t go to games with her and she`s embarressing herself and her daughter and I sit just as far from her as I can.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
control

a team must have control of the ball for a 3 second call to be made. sometimes i think this is the only rule some fans know( don't know). parents can get pretty out of hand, wish they could see themselves. ever wonder how their kids must feel???
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

the most important thing about officiating, the thing that kills a lot of rookies because they dont' realize this is, during you games, the fans know jack! don't listen to them, this will only lead to trouble, if the fan is too hard to control, call game management and have them removed
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
she`s so loud her husband won`t go to games with her and she`s embarressing herself and her daughter and I sit just as far from her as I can.
Next time you go to one of the games that she will attend (and while you're sitting as far from her as you can ), videotape her during the game and send it to her anonymously. Maybe she will see that she is embarrassing her daughter.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Chuck that would,probally work.
Lisa is a good girl,but when it comes to games,she loses it.Her daughter Jessica,gets so embarresed she turns red as a tomato.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by TommyH
Chuck that would,probally work.
Lisa is a good girl,but when it comes to games,she loses it.Her daughter Jessica,gets so embarresed she turns red as a tomato.
As an official, I don't care how loud the fans are. I realize that they don't really know anything, so I ignore it. But as a dad, I would hate to cause my daughter embarassment through my poor behavior.

I do realize, of course, that when she's a teenager, I will embarass her simply through my existence.

Chuck
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

2-3 years ago I had a freshman girls game. There was a Dad in the front row who was yapping from the tip (really, he wanted a violation on tip) and must have yelled for every violation in the book. The point gaurd for B, lost her shoe. Her man(? woman?), drove past her for an easy bucket. I stop the game to let her gear back up, we are near the sideline, where this dad was and he was giving her crap about getting beaten off the dribble, staying focused, etc. Mid shoe replacement she stands up and yells, "dad, shut the $%*^ up, I lost my shoe for gods sake". It took all I had not to laugh. Couldn't have said it better my self. Of course the other parents were chanting for a T, but there was no way I was going to after that.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2002, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
2-3 years ago I had a freshman girls game. There was a Dad in the front row who was yapping from the tip (really, he wanted a violation on tip) and must have yelled for every violation in the book. The point gaurd for B, lost her shoe. Her man(? woman?), drove past her for an easy bucket. I stop the game to let her gear back up, we are near the sideline, where this dad was and he was giving her crap about getting beaten off the dribble, staying focused, etc. Mid shoe replacement she stands up and yells, "dad, shut the $%*^ up, I lost my shoe for gods sake". It took all I had not to laugh. Couldn't have said it better my self. Of course the other parents were chanting for a T, but there was no way I was going to after that.
Yeah, this is sad. I've had this type at some of my games
too, as we all have probably. I worked a rec game in
December, HS Jrs & Srs. A player missed a layup on a
breakaway and his coach (dad volunteer) was riding him in
an easy, light hearted way. The player yelled "shut the
f&ck up" and gave him the finger. I ejected the kid, the
coach said nothing to me or the kid. I found out later the
kid was the coach's son.