View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
So after my 1st season I feel like I have learned quite a bit about being an official, and the number one thing I need to work on for next year is knowing the rules better. I thought I knew the rules well but after reading some posts on this forum I realize I don't know the rules as well as I thought. I admire everyone on here who knows the rules right down to the smallest detail. Obviously that comes from experience but are you also constantly paging through the book to keep yourself on top of the rules?

I never come to the forum with a rules question unless I have looked it up myself first. If I can get to the forum, I can get to a rule book.

Knowing the rules gives me the confidence to deal with any situation, and the ability to explain any ruling to a HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeremy View Post
...Also, I admit that I start to second guess myself a little bit when I hear coaches getting on me (or fans). I still call the game like I see it but doubt does creep up on me and on occasion has affected my play calling. Any advice on this too?
Every trip down the court is a new play. Focus each play, and rule on what you see ON THAT PLAY. Do not let crowds and coaches make you doubt your training. They are all biased.