Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Survey Says ...

2014 NFHS Basketball Rules Questionnaire

Part I – Are These Changes Made Last Year Satisfactory

1. The use of electronic devices is permitted during the game.

2. A single visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches with no dimension more than 2 1/4 inches. The manufacturer's logo may be located no more than 5
inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey, or 2 inches from the neckline on the back of the jersey; or in either side insert.

3. Leg compression sleeve was added to this rule to make its use consistent with the rule for wearing an arm compression sleeve. As with the arm compression sleeve, the leg compression sleeve must be white, beige, black or a single solid school color; must be the same color for each team member; and have only a single manufacturer’s logo. Leg compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.

4. A team shall not use a megaphone or any electronic communication device at courtside, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court.

5. A team shall not use electronic audio and /or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.

6. The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.

Part II – Observations – Have You Seen In Your Area?

1. Contact on the high screen(s).

2. Hedging the dribbler – contact in the perimeter off screens/dribble drives.

3. Arm bar in the post by the defender.

4. Officials not starting their count initially on closely guarded situations.

5. Officials moving too fast once call is made.

6. Officials not using proper mechanics.

7. The overuse of many different types of leg compression sleeves.

8. The spin move called as travel.

Part III – About Rules For 2014-15 – Would You Favor?

1. Allowing participants to wear tights.

2. Allowing the use of the "punch" signal for player-control foul as well as team-control foul.

3. Changing the number of time-outs to 3-30s and 2-60s.

4. Allowing the 3-point line to be moved out by 2 inches.

5. Playing with the 3-foot restricted-area arc to assist with calling block/charge on a secondary defender.

6. Allowing the use of a shot clock as a state adoption option.

7. Allowing the use of 18-minute halves as a state adoption option.

8. Adding more signals to the “signal chart.”

9. Not using the "stop the clock signal" on violations.

10. Clarifying when the clock starts on a missed free throw that hasn't been touched and is rolling on the floor.

11. Eliminating the opportunity for the head coach to call time-out. It would have to come from a player on the playing court.

12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.

13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.

14. Clarifying language on what announcers can announce during the contest.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

-Yes
2. A single visible manufacturer's logo/trademark/reference is permitted on the team jersey, not to exceed 2 1/4 square inches with no dimension more than 2 1/4 inches. The manufacturer's logo may be located no more than 5
inches below the shoulder seam on the front of the jersey, or 2 inches from the neckline on the back of the jersey; or in either side insert.
-Yes
3. Leg compression sleeve was added to this rule to make its use consistent with the rule for wearing an arm compression sleeve. As with the arm compression sleeve, the leg compression sleeve must be white, beige, black or a single solid school color; must be the same color for each team member; and have only a single manufacturer’s logo. Leg compression sleeves must be worn for medical reasons.
-No. As has been previously discussed, rule is ambiguous in distinguishing between compression and knee pad. For those who make the point that a padded compression is still a compression sleeve, then the rule should be removed/ammended, as it disallows players from wearing a peice of protective equipment that has no negative effect on any other part of the game. Not everyone can afford to see a doctor for a pointless piece of paper that allows it. It would be similar to disallowing a player from using a mouthguard unless they had permission from a doctor.
4. A team shall not use a megaphone or any electronic communication device at courtside, or electronic equipment for voice communication with players on the court.
-Yes
5. A team shall not use electronic audio and /or video devices to review a decision of the contest officials.
-Yes
6. The head coach may enter the court in the situation where a fight may break out – or has broken out – to prevent the situation from escalating.
-Yes

-Yes, but not an issue
-Yes, but not an issue
-Yes, but not an issue
-Yes, probably is becoming an issue
-Yes
-Yes, but mainly by those who don't care, or those who think they're big time.
-Yes
-Yes, but usually when it is a travel. Haven't seen it miscalled too much

-Yes, irrelevant to me
2. Allowing the use of the "punch" signal for player-control foul as well as team-control foul.
-Yes, we all know this is coming eventually
-No, not necessary
-No. 2 inches isn't going to change much. If a change is need, push it back 6 inches or a foot, otherwise, leave it the same. The cost incurred to each school moving the line isn't worth it for 2 inches.
5. Playing with the 3-foot restricted-area arc to assist with calling block/charge on a secondary defender.
-Yes. A defender standing under the hoop is a cheap way to get a charge.
-Absolutely yes. Every level (and some states HS) going forward uses a shot clock, not to mention the game may become a little more exciting.
-No. Just a personal preference, I like the traditional 4 quarters.
-Such as? The only signal I think would be nice to add is something for a hit to the head on a shot attempt. Feels weird making an illegal use of the hands signal as most people (coaches included) interpret this as "He was hit on the arm"
-No. No need to hot dog.
10. Clarifying when the clock starts on a missed free throw that hasn't been touched and is rolling on the floor.
-Sure. We know the rules, but if clarification is needed for timers or coaches, then I guess that's fine.
11. Eliminating the opportunity for the head coach to call time-out. It would have to come from a player on the playing court.
-No. Why in the world would a coach not be able to signal time out?
12. Eliminating the requirement for players or coaches to verify that compression sleeves are worn for medical reasons.
-Absolutely yes.
13. Allowing players to move into the lane on the release rather than wait for the ball to contact the ring.
-Yes. With any other live shot players are boxing out while the ball is in flight, why not on a free throw as well?
-Sure. Irrelevant to me, the only time this needs attention is during free throws.

If I could add my own small change:
#15. Officials shall blow the whistle when time expires for a quarter of half.
-As the horn does not ALWAYS signal the end of the quarter or half, the whiste would be a consistent way to show that quarters/halves have eneded, as well as prevent extracurricular action from players that could lead to something else, as most of the time players stop on the whistle. They don't always stop on the horn, for example, if a horn is accidently sounded after a ball has been inbounded.

Last edited by frezer11; Tue Feb 11, 2014 at 05:59pm.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 05:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'd be thrilled if all they did was fix the wording of the TC issues.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Hold Your Breath ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'd be thrilled if all they did was fix the wording of the TC issues.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:30pm
Archaic Power Monger

The link to the questionnaire:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZJN2ZTY
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Largely agree....a couple of exceptions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
-No, not necessary
I'm indifferent on this one. Can't see that it matters much.
-Yes. A defender standing under the hoop is a cheap way to get a charge.
No. It doesn't assist with anything, it changes the rules. It doesn't improve the game. It only penalizes defenders who hustle to cut off the path to the basket. Offensive players who continue to barrel ahead seeing a defender cutting off tier path and can't complete the shot without running over someone deserve a charge.
-No. No need to hot dog.
I'm indifferent on this one. WHy do you consider it hot dogging?
-No. Why in the world would a coach not be able to signal time out?
YES! Go back to the way it was before. Put the game more into the hands of the players...or only let coaches request a timeout during a dead ball with the clock stopped.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Largely agree....a couple of exceptions....
I guess "Hot dogging" isn't really the term I was looking for, but I still don't like the change, on every single whistle a hand goes up, either open palm or closed fist. Not that timers look at us every time, but the way the rules are written, I think if you change this you'd have to change the wording on other things too, and it seems unneccessary. I don't think putting the hand up to stop the clock is that big of a hindrance that it needs to be removed.

I see your points on the arc. Personally, I think the offensive player should be allowed to complete a layup and land behind the backboard as part of the shot, and not have to worry about a defender stepping in behind the hoop late. That said, while I wouldn't mind seeing it, I understand that leaving it alone has merit too.

As for the coach's time out, not sure we'll ever see eye to eye on that one! Haha, I guess I just think of the head coach as just as much a part of the team as the players, and he should have the right to call and be granted a time out at any time.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I see your points on the arc. Personally, I think the offensive player should be allowed to complete a layup and land behind the backboard as part of the shot, and not have to worry about a defender stepping in behind the hoop late. That said, while I wouldn't mind seeing it, I understand that leaving it alone has merit too.
If the defender is late (after the shooter is airborne) getting there, it should be a block in any case....just like anywhere else.

I just think the offensive player shouldn't be jumping for the layup to start with if a defender has already positioned themselves in the path the shooter needs to go through in order to land. The defender has done their job of taking a way a path desired by their opponent. It should then be up to that opponent to stop or change directions.

Quote:
As for the coach's time out, not sure we'll ever see eye to eye on that one! Haha, I guess I just think of the head coach as just as much a part of the team as the players, and he should have the right to call and be granted a time out at any time.
I think the coach should be coaching the players on what to do and when and be less directly involved in the flow of the game itself.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

who cares?

Sure...

Oh, good...why? make all times outs 45 seconds. PERIOD.

That would be a nightmare for most schools painting the floor.

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

Md, does it in girls ball now. I like it over all.

Why 18? Why not 16? I can say having done 20 minute halves, it is a long time between breaks if coaches do not use their timeouts...

Such as???

Just when you get good at it... but the whistle is what actually stops the clock, not the hand. I can raise my hand all night, it they don't hear my whistle, they are not going to stop the clock...

...?....

I like that, they would not...

So tired of being the fashion police...

back and forth and back and forth, decide on a rule and stick with it...

why???let it be...JMO
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

I'm just going to pick out the highlights...

I don't think it's needed. In H.S. kids who can't shoot 3s really don't.

No, no, 1,000 times NO!!! I haven't dealt with it yet in an NCAAW game (knock wood) but I think it would be a mess at the H.S. level, especially in states that do 2-person most of the season...such as the two where I work.

I can live without it. Roughly 3% of H.S. basketball players go on to play some form of college ball. Putting in a shot-clock really only benefits - for lack of a better word - those kids since they'll use it at the next level. Another observation: It's used in all of my NYC GV games and some of my NYC BV games now. The biggest problem is finding someone to run the thing properly.

I don't know why NFHS wrings its hands over this. Just follow what the NCAA does and be done with it.

I agree with Terp. Just make up your minds one way or another and we'll deal. It gets confusing for the GV players in my area since kids in NYC/NYS use the NCAA rule and those in NJ use the NFHS rule. I worked a game in NYC a few weeks ago and the visitor was from NJ. The NJ kids were beaten into the lane on most of the FTs because they kept forgetting they could go in on the release.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:16am
AremRed

I am disappointed they are not considering removing the requirement for a coach to sit after a tech. You would think 2 shots + the ball + 1 tech closer to ejection would be sufficient punishment.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I am disappointed they are not considering removing the requirement for a coach to sit after a tech. You would think 2 shots + the ball + 1 tech closer to ejection would be sufficient punishment.
That will never be removed. The NFHS considers the coaching box a privilege, not a right. Sometimes a well-placed T is a good tool to get a head coach to sit down and keep himself from getting ejected.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Move it to the college line or leave it alone.

Yes - cleans up the middle of the lane

Yes - the state should have the option

Yes - games are more flowing with halves, two less end of clock scenarios

Sorta - only during a dead ball

Yes

c
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Who cares?

Who cares?

Let them wear them for whatever reason they want. And get us out of the business of regulating colors of such things. As long as the sleeve is AN approved color, who cares if one is white and another is black?

This is fine. Can't believe it was a problem that needed addressing...

I don't care that a team does as long as they don't care that they get a technical foul for the trouble.

I'd extend this to assistant coaches, too.

No more than usual. Not all contact is a foul, though.

Not a problem. Sometimes contact isn't a foul.

Haven't seen any of this.

I've seen a LOT of this. Not usually from partners, but from JV officials I watch prior to my games.

Not in the games I work. This is an experience thing, for the most part, not something that could be legislated away.

The NFHS could fix a lot of this by expanding the list of "approved" mechanics.

Who cares?

When it's a travel, I call it as a travel. I've been very aware of the pivot foot on post players this season and have called a fair number of these. Not all of them are travels, though.

I wear tights. Why can't the players?

90% of officials use the punch at the spot of the foul. Too much legislation of such things.

Go to 1 60 and 4 30s for all I care. Give them a 5th 30 if they complain too much or convert the first 30 of the second half to a 60. Either way, there should be more 30s and fewer 60s.

They gotta be kidding. Force tens of thousands of schools to reline their gym floors for TWO INCHES? I even consider the difference between NFHS and NCAA to be idiotic.

This would be a disaster at lower levels and in many other 2-person games.

Many states already do. The NFHS is late to the table on this one.

Why 18? Why not 16? Will our game checks be increased by 12.5 % If they do move to halves, give each team an extra 30 or two. No big deal.

Yes, already. Hit to the head, forearm, etc.

I used to care about this, but I really don't anymore. Let's not pretend, though, that the timers are looking at us and that raised hand to stop the clock. They aren't.

Does this need clarification?

Why, to benefit officials who aren't situationally aware? We don't need to change a thing here.

Yes. I wonder how many officials are actually bothering asking the question.

Another one I've worked both ways in HS games. Never had a problem with the "enter on the release" as long as officials are willing to call fouls to clean up the rebounding. Many weren't.

Leave the announcers alone, already.
My thoughts.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I'm just going to pick out the highlights...

I don't think it's needed. In H.S. kids who can't shoot 3s really don't.

[/B]
I think / hope that was a typo, and they meant 12" -- to match the NCAA line.

Still, I wonder what "allow" means (in this context).