The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:15am
Ref Ump Welsch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
FED Survey

The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer!

I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
I was tempted to answer NO to do not answer.
Subversive.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
I already pre-game that T&L/C&L watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Mar 18, 2009 at 12:15am.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lincoln Co, Missouri
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.
Ditto!!! unless the guys I'm working with object (and I've had a few) this is what I do in my games.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Lincoln Co, Missouri
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
The good old FED survey is out again. They're utilizing the Survey Monkey website (how ironic! We have Howler Monkeys!). Several questions are related to the rules changes we had this year, whether they worked or not, and whether we saw more or less of certain actions. There are several "ideas" listed as well, some rule changes (halves and shot clocks by state adoption) as well as some mechanics changes (mostly related to the free throw administration).

What made me laugh was there was one question listed as: BAD QUESTION: Do NOT Answer!
Is this something that anyone can take? if so please post the URL, if not, then well nevermind
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:17pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 69
Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I already pre-game that T&L/T&C watch the players on their own side of the lane. It makes so much more sense than watching opposite for violations then switching your focus to your own side to watch for fouls.
I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: In a little pink house
Posts: 5,289
Send a message via AIM to Back In The Saddle Send a message via MSN to Back In The Saddle Send a message via Yahoo to Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
I have never understood the people who want to watch opposite for violations AND rebounding action. Let's call across the lane AND through a crowd of people. This especially makes sense when the L positions him/herself wide outside the lane (sarcasm). These people never seem to have a rational in pre-game for this philosophy when confronted on their reasoning.

On a side note, I worked with an official last year who made the state tournament this year. He was the R for the game and wanted to split the responsibilities between the T and C 80/20. I guess the manual is just a suggestion. Was that change listed on the survey?
Did the 80/20 split make the survey? Ummm, no. Must've just missed the cut.
__________________
"It is not enough to do your best; you must know what to do, and then do your best." - W. Edwards Deming
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:41pm
Ref Ump Welsch
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
https://www.nfhs.org/custom/calendar/default.aspx

The basketball rules meeting is in April, but comment/survey deadline passed 3-9-09 according to the website.
That's ironic because the FED didn't email out the link to the survey till AFTER that date. Maybe a glitch?

As for the bad question, I wanted to answer NO just to see if blew up the survey's server or some really awesome action that could be traced back to me somehow, and I'd have stories for the grandkids some day!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OHSAA Survey Larks Basketball 0 Thu Oct 05, 2006 01:22pm
RightSports survey Carl Childress General / Off-Topic 0 Sun Aug 13, 2006 09:23pm
Another Pay Survey WhistlesAndStripes Football 17 Tue May 30, 2006 03:29pm
Survey williebfree Basketball 7 Tue Jan 14, 2003 03:28pm
survey just another ref Basketball 12 Sun Nov 10, 2002 02:40am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1