The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
If the fan was immediately punished like Marcus. No argument from me. But he was not because he is White. If it was a white player and a black fan, the black fan would be arrested immediately. And you know that's is a fact.
Are you serious? I don't know you, and/or don't know of your posting history...but really, are you being sarcastic here?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:12am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you think I am going into the stands to get players, you have lost your feakin mind.
This.

In any sport I work, in any level, there is no way I'm going into the stands. That is the domain of game administration and the fans.

Going into the stands is akin to a stray bird landing in the hyena pen at the zoo just before feeding time. No need to paint that target on your back because there isn't a thing you can really do to protect that player.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:13am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
Are you serious? I don't know you, and/or don't know of your posting history...but really, are you being sarcastic here?
Let's head this discussion off at the pass before it gets going. Nothing productive is going to come from continuing this path of discussion.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
This.

In any sport I work, in any level, there is no way I'm going into the stands. That is the domain of game administration and the fans.

Going into the stands is akin to a stray bird landing in the hyena pen at the zoo just before feeding time. No need to paint that target on your back because there isn't a thing you can really do to protect that player.
I don't even like sitting in the stands watching the first half of the JV game before heading off to the dressing room.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:24am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
I don't even like sitting in the stands watching the first half of the JV game before heading off to the dressing room.
In the first half of the JV game my crew and I were sitting in the stands. We were talking about things involving officiating, whether it was about previous games or about the officials in the game going on at the time, and I saw that a guy sitting behind us was listening. So he knew we were the officials for the varsity game. I wanted to get out of there. Not because I thought he'd do something bad, but I didn't want him to start asking all sorts of questions about what we do, or about calls/non-calls being made.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Let's head this discussion off at the pass before it gets going. Nothing productive is going to come from continuing this path of discussion.
10/4...I'll take it down a different path and say this:

Smart is a senior, I believe, having played 4 years now. He is also a star, having been I think the conference freshman of the year, POY, and a so called possible lottery pick. This fan, referred to by some as a Super fan, has probably had this same seat near under the basket, as video's have shown from past games, during Smart's time. Assuming then that he's played there 3 times before Saturday, is there a possibility Smart already knew of this guy, maybe had heard some stuff from him in another game? I'll bet it's no stretch this fan singles out the opposing teams best players and tries to start something and get under their skin. Every team's got somebody like that, but clearly this guy has taken it further than most fans, and probably did Saturday. Anyone else think it's probably not the first time Smart has experienced this kind of treatment? Not condoning his actions/reaction at all.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. If we time things well, they're starting the third quarter when we walk in.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Smart is a senior, I believe, having played 4 years now. He is also a star, having been I think the conference freshman of the year, POY, and a so called possible lottery pick. This fan, referred to by some as a Super fan, has probably had this same seat near under the basket, as video's have shown from past games, during Smart's time. Assuming then that he's played there 3 times before Saturday, is there a possibility Smart already knew of this guy, maybe had heard some stuff from him in another game? I'll bet it's no stretch this fan singles out the opposing teams best players and tries to start something and get under their skin. Every team's got somebody like that, but clearly this guy has taken it further than most fans, and probably did Saturday. Anyone else think it's probably not the first time Smart has experienced this kind of treatment? Not condoning his actions/reaction at all.
Smart is a sophmore.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 10:59am
NFHS Official

Quote:

Check your facts. Smart is a sophomore.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

My fact checking staff has the day off

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Check your facts. Smart is a sophomore.
OK I stand corrected...thought he turned down the NBA last year as a junior. Well, I'll adjust my thoughts a bit..perhaps in last year's game there he heard something. My guess is most opposing players know this fan and have been the subject of some of his nonsense.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Can anyone identify that stupid looking lady who was pointing at Smart?
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:31am

I am in agreement with those that say NO to going into the stands. That is the game admin/site admin/security responsibility. As officials we are asking for a whole lot of potential trouble if we go into the stands.

Smart has to be better than that no matter what the guy said but, being that none of us know Smart personally, we have no idea what type of things set him off and what don't. We all have out hot buttons. That in NO WAY excuses his actions.

The fan's actions/words are not excusable either. However, he paid his money and that is his seat. A very good friend of mine and large donor to Texas Tech knows the guy. I called him over the weekend when I saw this and he told me that guy is a huge donor as well. We both agreed that in NO WAY gives him the right to spew hatred or slurs or whatever. However, we have all heard some pretty nasty things from the fans at one time or other. I know I have had a fan or two removed over my 22 years or so of doing this. I even remember Jimmy Buffet getting booted from his seat at Miami Heat game. Just because you paid a lot of money for the right to sit someplace, and are a huge donor to a school, you still have a responsibility to behave.

Not sure if anything would have happened to the fan if Smart had reported what he said rather than going into the stands, but again, he needs to be better than that on the court. We also have to remember he is still a 20 year old kid.

Just my two cents.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am sorry, but you sound really silly. For one college basketball at this level is nothing like HS basketball or even small college. If you think I am going into the stands to get players, you have lost your feakin mind. For one that is all I need is a lawsuit for grabbing someone that gets punched or contacted in some way or have that happen to me. These officials in many cases are getting paid thousands of dollars to work those games. If they want to go into the stands and grab players, go right ahead, but most know better. And in this situation that happen this weekend, I did not see a single official going to get Smart or any of the players. The officials stayed on the floor as they should have.

Now you can go right ahead, but there have been lawsuits based on what officials did to brake up fights. And then you go into a fight where the many people could be throwing thngs are going. Even in the Malice in the Palace, I did not see the officials leave the floor to get players out of the stands. Stop it already with that nonsense.

Peace
Fair enough point in your first paragraph. I just don't agree. There was opportunity when Smart hit the cameraman to have a presence close to him.

Comparing the Malice in the Palace to the OK State/Texas Tech game is ridiculous. Those were players going into the stands to fight. I already said the crews safety is paramount followed by the players. So of course, that's not our place. Smart didn't go into the stands to fight.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Are you assuming she was involved in the altercation in some way? Why does this person have to be stupid? If, in fact a racially motivated comment was made to Smart; by this (person/people) they will be hammered in the press (rightfully so). It seems you have come to some conclusion already. Nothing is going to be gained by the ignorance that was displayed by all involved. It makes all parties look bad. Unless someone comes forward and admits to what actually happened all this is just he said, she said.

Reguardless of how this pans out my guess is the NCAA will address this with member schools in the future. No one wants a repeat of the Pacers/Detroit fiasco at the college level.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

Last edited by j51969; Mon Feb 10, 2014 at 11:42am.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2014, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My favorite part of the entire video!
Closed Thread