Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Or the emphasis Texas puts on High School sports
Not on high school sports … just high school football
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So are you telling me that one school cannot have a better musical program or computer science program over another school? And a parent would not consider that when trying to get their kid into a better college?
A band director might be thrilled a quality trumpet or oboe player is moving into his district and will now attend his school. But he isn't going to be out there finding people that will pay for an apartment or pay for moving costs to get that kid to that district. Part of the rule is to keep parents from athletics over anything else but the other part is to prevent shady deals.

I know this happens everywhere and each state or other jurisdiction has their own rules to deal with it. And while I'm as big a proponent of school athletics as anyone who ever lived, if you find the rare case of a family moving a HS kid so he can be on a better debate squad, most (including me) would agree that that is a little more of a co-curricular activity than sports. In addition, the UIL (in Texas, obviously) doesn't have jurisdiction over all activities. Even those they do have, like debate, are ignored since being disqualified from the UIL tournament means nothing to debate students who compete under totally different organizations. Sort of like select athletic teams, but that's getting into a whole other can of worms.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Apples vs oranges

While I realize there are competitions, a band director does not have a W-L record and is probably not going to lose his job if the best oboe player from the next county over doesn't make it to town to "play" for him.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
While I realize there are competitions, a band director does not have a W-L record and is probably not going to lose his job if the best oboe player from the next county over doesn't make it to town to "play" for him.
And you can always add an extra trumpet / oboe to the band. If you get a new point guard / quarterback, then someone has to sit and someone else doesn't make the team.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
And you can always add an extra trumpet / oboe to the band. If you get a new point guard / quarterback, then someone has to sit and someone else doesn't make the team.
Good point..prob more important than mine
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:16am

I don’t understand why on this forum people are debating about whether or not a athlete moving to a different school is legal or illegal. I'm not out on the floor wondering if the athletes that are playing have made a legal or illegal move from one school to another. The only legal or illegal move I am going to judge them on will be within the rules of the game of basketball.
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, this thread's gone in a different direction...unless the TT fan called Marcus Smart "you piece of $#%%$$# transfer"
Old Wed Feb 12, 2014, 10:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Have we all had enough fun? I think so.
Closed Thread