Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
"Dad - I'm sick of playing for Suck High School - they are awful, scouts are never going to see me play."
"OK, son - go live with these people and you can change schools and play for a better team."

"Ah ... cool. I'm an athlete, I will be coddled and provided for - I can do whatever I want."

Athletic affluenza.
And if you changed athletics to other activities or a kid said that to his dad about safety at a school, that is a problem? I know parents that send their kids from a public school to a private school because the private school has a track record to get kids to college outside of athletics. Again, I do not see why this is a bad situation if a family can afford the move or the tuition. I have always found that kind of thinking to be silly on so many levels. If the schools are not giving anything illegal or benefits they would have not gotten going to another school, then what the heck is the problem?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If the schools are not giving anything illegal or benefits they would have not gotten going to another school, then what the heck is the problem?

Peace
This is the problem. If families were moving in a vacuum to get more exposure, I wouldn't have too big of a problem with that. The problem is some coach or booster comes up and says, "hey kid. Are you tired of going to Suck High School? I'll pay for you to move, give your parents a cushy job, or some other such thing for you to come play for us." That's a problem, and from what I have read in this thread, that is where the Texas rule comes from.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
This is the problem. If families were moving in a vacuum to get more exposure, I wouldn't have too big of a problem with that. The problem is some coach or booster comes up and says, "hey kid. Are you tired of going to Suck High School? I'll pay for you to move, give your parents a cushy job, or some other such thing for you to come play for us." That's a problem, and from what I have read in this thread, that is where the Texas rule comes from.
For the record these kinds of rules are not unique to Texas. But not every move or transfer is done for these reasons. And even if the move is athletically motivated, I still do not see the big deal if the family made that decision for their kids.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And if you changed athletics to other activities or a kid said that to his dad about safety at a school, that is a problem? I know parents that send their kids from a public school to a private school because the private school has a track record to get kids to college outside of athletics. Again, I do not see why this is a bad situation if a family can afford the move or the tuition. I have always found that kind of thinking to be silly on so many levels. If the schools are not giving anything illegal or benefits they would have not gotten going to another school, then what the heck is the problem?

Peace
A) Private schools do not fall under the jurisdiction of the rules we're discussing here.

B) Other activities? "Dad, the college cello playing scouts won't see me if we don't change schools"? "Dad, our math club sucks, can I move schools?" Um ... what the fungus are you referring to here? (As to safety - no, that's not a problem. The kid is not being entitled if he tells his parents he's afraid for his safety and wants to move. Completely different scenario).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For the record these kinds of rules are not unique to Texas. But not every move or transfer is done for these reasons. And even if the move is athletically motivated, I still do not see the big deal if the family made that decision for their kids.

Peace
Exactly. You don't see it. And unless you lived here when it was a problem, you won't see it.

Rut - you refer to urban situations in your area that I could never fathom, and would never have a chance of truly understanding. When you do, I take you at face value. I could NOT truly understand where you're coming from - I don't have the context for it.

You do not fathom the situation that has existed here - you don't have the context for it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
"hey kid. Are you tired of going to suck high school? I'll pay for you to move, give your parents a cushy job, or some other such thing for you to come play for us. Welcome to Odessa Permian."
fify.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
A) Private schools do not fall under the jurisdiction of the rules we're discussing here.
Maybe in Texas. Here public and private schools play for the State Titles.

Quote:
B) Other activities? "Dad, the college cello playing scouts won't see me if we don't change schools"? "Dad, our math club sucks, can I move schools?" Um ... what the fungus are you referring to here? (As to safety - no, that's not a problem. The kid is not being entitled if he tells his parents he's afraid for his safety and wants to move. Completely different scenario).
So are you telling me that one school cannot have a better musical program or computer science program over another school? And a parent would not consider that when trying to get their kid into a better college?

I do not even have kids and that is a conversation I have had with parents that have choice to go to another school in the same school district.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Jeff Orr seating in the first of row of seats behind the basket, 2nd seat from the aisle. A fact that you refuse to accept.

Plus you accuse Smart of playing the "race card", whatever that is, followed by purposely making a completely untrue statement about Smart running up 10 rows to shove Orr.
Wasn't trying to troll, whatever that means. Is troll an insult?

I do admit that I don't know what seat the fan was sitting in but Smart did have to take 3 larger steps toward him to shove him after falling head long into the crowd to begin with. It wasn't like he just rolled over and shoved the guy. Maybe, I should have used a different form of measurement. And, I never accused Smart of playing the race card. I answered someone's question as to 'how could someone hear a racial slur wrong". Some people have been known to yell "racial slur" as a means to deflect their own poor judgement. Did Smart do this? Don't know. Never said he did? But, if the fan didn't use a racial slur then someone stating that he did deflects from Smart's actions. I believe at the time of the post there were reports that the fan used a racial slur. I don't even know if that is still being reported, now.

Again, just an opinion. Maybe different than your's. Wasn't really trying to pi$$ you off or change your opinion.

What I really want to know for high school purposes, is there not an FED interp that rules that a player assaulting a fan can be ejected for fighting?
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 01:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Exactly. You don't see it. And unless you lived here when it was a problem, you won't see it.

Rut - you refer to urban situations in your area that I could never fathom, and would never have a chance of truly understanding. When you do, I take you at face value. I could NOT truly understand where you're coming from - I don't have the context for it.

You do not fathom the situation that has existed here - you don't have the context for it.
Who said anything about "urban" whatever that is supposed to mean. I live in a suburban area and once lived in a rural part of my state. Parents would move a kid from one rural area to another if they felt they were helping their kids get a better opportunity. And it is often controversial here when a kid goes from a public school district to a private school and it is often assumed that the private school did something nefarious to get that athlete.

I know people from Texas think the world does not exist outside of that state, but things you are saying is a constant conversation here. Schools are just not spending millions to make a football stadium. But still the same basic issues come up here, I just have never understood why people feel it is wrong to move a kid if it benefits their chances at other opportunities.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In such an instance, it would be rather easy to prove that the reason you moved was not athletics. No need to feel sorry for them.
I know that now thanks to Rich1 explaining the process. At first I was inferring that the system was pretty rigid.
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just have never understood why people feel it is wrong to move a kid if it benefits their chances at other opportunities.

Peace
You're right. You don't. And you won't. And that's ok.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So are you telling me that one school cannot have a better musical program or computer science program over another school? And a parent would not consider that when trying to get their kid into a better college?
No. I'm not telling you that. Why do you insist on stating that I'm telling you something and then disagree with what I didn't even say in the first place?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 03:57pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Smart should have followed Dalton's advise.
Sorry but I can't but to think of this with all of the "but he got called ____ " comments. Bottom line control yourself.

Warning for language in the video.

Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 05:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Not Your Father's Neighborhood School Any More ...

Connecticut is moving more toward school choice. Magnet schools, charter schools, etc. Many kids no longer have to go to the high school that is geographically within their town, or city, borders, or in one geographic part of a city. We even have a school that specializes in sports, and medical, sciences. Kids can chose to go to this high school because they're interested on a career in sports, player, administrator, coach, agent, media, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 11, 2014, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Funny how we "want" kids to have the best opportunity they can have, but NOT at the expense of what the people making the rules for "fairness" think it should be. I really hate some of the eligibility rules.