The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 10:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
To me, "find a spot" implies they need to find a spot and hold it. I don't see how it's substantively different from "hold your spots."
Plus, we have a U1/U2 who are responsible to ensure non-jumpers are legal. I don't worry about it; if someone is does something illegal I expect a whistle from one of my partners.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I just tell the jumpers "one bounce, then it is going up" and toss.
Old Thu Feb 06, 2014, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Acknowledge captains by asking if they are ready.
Whistle.
I don't like getting hit on the jump so if they are crowding me, I say, "Gimme some room, I'm going up high with this one."

As to the OP, the running around and the coach saying to get started is just a coach trying to show he knows one rule. No reason for it, just stupid.

Last edited by Mregor; Thu Feb 06, 2014 at 09:46pm. Reason: Add
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why not skip the color and direction, too?

I hit the whistle, step in, and toss it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Whistle, as I walk in I tell jumpers to be ready b/c I don't bounce the ball, toss.

I stopped doing color/direction.
Seems to be the standard in my association.

I do think it can be a good reminder too when you have weird colors. For example, first time I saw the "pink" awareness uniforms, I would have probably called "pink" had the R not designated them as "white" at the jump. I've also seen very dark purple uniforms be called both "black" or "blue". I see absolutely no downside to it either.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I just tell the jumpers "one bounce, then it is going up" and toss.
I would not want to tell them that, I would not want them to "steal" the tip.

I just tell them, "I need the middle" so they give me enough room to bounce the ball. Then after I determine how many times I choose to bounce the ball, I throw it up without telegraphing the toss. Most jumpers are surprised that I was going to throw it up.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Seems to be the standard in my association.

I do think it can be a good reminder too when you have weird colors. For example, first time I saw the "pink" awareness uniforms, I would have probably called "pink" had the R not designated them as "white" at the jump. I've also seen very dark purple uniforms be called both "black" or "blue". I see absolutely no downside to it either.
Changing pink to white? Quite frankly, that's dopey.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Changing pink to white? Quite frankly, that's dopey.
I'm assuming the R decided that we should maintain the "Home/White" standard. And it was a "light pink"

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but would everyone else keep "Pink" as the home team color?
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm assuming the R decided that we should maintain the "Home/White" standard. And it was a "light pink"

I didn't think anything of it at the time, but would everyone else keep "Pink" as the home team color?
I prefer the basic, 1 syllable colors: blue/black/white/green/gold/red.

I get by fine with those. Had a timer joke the other day that we need to call the visiting team "Teal", b/c that was her favorite color. We went with Blue.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

I've been an R many times and the color we're going to call a team has never come up in conversation.

I know for a fact that I will use "orange" and one of my regular partners refuses to use "orange" so I'm guessing that he says "red" and I say "orange" -- it's never caused a lick of confusion.

No controversy with pink -- it's one syllable!
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

This is a tricky one. I believe the no call is correct because in the case study books it states a player can more around the cirlce when more they are at least 3 feet away from the center circle. The coach read the casebook and applied the loop hole...we will probably see this disconnect corrected in future rule books because this is clearly a distraction and a potential safty hazard to everyone on the floor. Wow...good one! Thanks
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia View Post
This is a tricky one. I believe the no call is correct because in the case study books it states a player can more around the cirlce when more they are at least 3 feet away from the center circle. The coach read the casebook and applied the loop hole...we will probably see this disconnect corrected in future rule books because this is clearly a distraction and a potential safty hazard to everyone on the floor. Wow...good one! Thanks
Why? They didn't violate any rule. Who cares what they do before/during the jump?

It would be a solution in search of a problem.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugenia View Post
It's not:
1) a loophole
2) a safety hazard

It might be distracting, but it shouldn't be and isn't illegal just because it is.

Teams run a similar play during action and during throw-ins. They have never been discussed (afaik) as being removed from the game.
Old Fri Feb 07, 2014, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It's not:
1) a loophole
2) a safety hazard

It might be distracting, but it shouldn't be and isn't illegal just because it is.

Teams run a similar play during action and during throw-ins. They have never been discussed (afaik) as being removed from the game.
If it were, they'd have to outlaw motion offenses too.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

I always designate one-syllable colors at the jump and I prefer that the R do it when I don't toss. It is a short confirmation of the colors we are calling and affirming the "call" colors when we start sets them in my addled brain and helps make the nomenclature of the day automatic and the OOB and backcourt calls crisp. But then, I've always considered multi-tasking to be a fad.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2014, 12:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I always designate one-syllable colors at the jump and I prefer that the R do it when I don't toss. It is a short confirmation of the colors we are calling and affirming the "call" colors when we start sets them in my addled brain and helps make the nomenclature of the day automatic and the OOB and backcourt calls crisp. But then, I've always considered multi-tasking to be a fad.
Eh. I'm not saying red when the team's orange even if you'd prefer it. Designating colors is completely unnecessary.