The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Had a 1st last night (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/97192-had-1st-last-night.html)

REFANDUMP Wed Feb 05, 2014 02:50pm

Had a 1st last night

Working a girls varsity game as U1 in a 3 person crew. We got ready to start the game and the visiting team players outside the jump circle start running counterclockwise in a circle about 6' outside the jump circle. We were startled for a minute waiting for them to set, and the coach started hollering "let's go". We tossed the ball, they won the tap and off we went.
After the game, we questioned whether this was legal or not, but determined it was, as all players were not within 3' of the circle. Has anyone else seen this before, and do you agree that this is legal ??

Raymond Wed Feb 05, 2014 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 921417)
...After the game, we questioned whether this was legal or not, but determined it was, as all players were not within 3' of the circle. Has anyone else seen this before, and do you agree that this is legal ??

If you guys agreed on the bolded part, what is there that would make it illegal?

REFANDUMP Wed Feb 05, 2014 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 921418)
If you guys agreed on the bolded part, what is there that would make it illegal?

Nothing that we could figure. Just wanted input as to if we may have overlooked something.

BillyMac Wed Feb 05, 2014 03:32pm

Duck, Duck, Goose ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 921417)
The visiting team players outside the jump circle start running counterclockwise in a circle about 6' outside the jump circle. We were startled for a minute waiting for them to set ...

Why not just say, "Hold your spots."? That should have stopped them in their tracks. I've heard many other officials say that. I don't know why they say it, they just do. Kind of like saying, "Let it hit the rim", before a free throw.

HokiePaul Wed Feb 05, 2014 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 921427)
Why not just say, "Hold your spots."? That should have stopped them in their tracks. I've heard many other officials say that. I don't know why they say it, they just do. Kind of like saying, "Let it hit the rim", before a free throw.

I usually say "pick a spot" rather than "hold your spots" as it is technically more correct. I'm saying this to give notice that I am ready to toss the ball and the jump ball restrictions are in place. After "picking a spot", any legal movement is permitted.

Regarding "Let it hit the rim" ... I almost never say anything, but if I feel like a reminder is needed, I simply say "Let it hit". "Let it hit the rim" in incorrect as the ball hitting the backboard would end the restrictions.

Regarding the original post ... I came up two possible reasons why this could be illegal.
1) Are they changing positions around the center restraining circle? [Anyone know of a case play/definition that explains clarified what "around the restraining circle means? Is it 3 feet as in the OP? I can't find it.]
2) Are they taking a position in an occupied space?

Zoochy Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 921427)

Jump Ball- What if you say "Hold your spots" and they legally move? Do you call a violation? :eek:
Free Throw- What if you say "Don't move until it hits" and they move into the paint area. Or move backwards behind another player? Do you call a violation?

That is why you do not tell them to '"Hold your spots" on a Jump ball.
HokiePaul has a better phrase, "Pick a spot". :)

BatteryPowered Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:15pm

What about 6-3-2(b)?

When discussing the administration of a Jump-ball it states that when the official is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not ( a ) Move onto the center restraining circle ( b ) Change position around the center restraining circle.

Sounds like 4 players were changing positions to me.

Adam Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:17pm

I don't say anything. I blow the whistle, step in, and toss the ball after I spit my whistle out.

Adam Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BatteryPowered (Post 921438)
What about 6-3-2(b)?

When discussing the administration of a Jump-ball it states that when the official is ready and until the ball is tossed, nonjumpers shall not ( a ) Move onto the center restraining circle ( b ) Change position around the center restraining circle.

Sounds like 4 players were changing positions to me.

Not around the circle they weren't.

BatteryPowered Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921441)
Not around the circle they weren't.

My bad...misread the situation. :(

Adam Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 921436)
Free Throw- What if you say "Don't move until it hits" and they move into the paint area. Or move backwards behind another player? Do you call a violation?

Yes

BillyMac Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:32pm

Please Don't Make Me Break Out The Blue Font ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoochy (Post 921436)
Jump Ball- What if you say "Hold your spots" and they legally move? Do you call a violation? Free Throw- What if you say "Don't move until it hits" and they move into the paint area. Or move backwards behind another player? Do you call a violation?

I was being sarcastic. We have guys who say things like this, and worse.

BillyMac Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:34pm

With Apologies To Maxwell smart, Secret Agent 86 ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921447)
Yes

It's the old hit the backboard first, and then the rim, trick. Oldest trick in the book.

BillyMac Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:37pm

Duck, Duck, Goose ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 921430)
I usually say "pick a spot" rather than "hold your spots" as it is technically more correct.

Is it? How about the players ten feet away from the circle? Do they have to pick a spot, or can they just keep running around?

BillyMac Wed Feb 05, 2014 04:39pm

Where Have You Been All These Years ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 921440)
I don't say anything. I blow the whistle, step in, and toss the ball after I spit my whistle out.

My long lost twin.