The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RulesGeek View Post
OK... now I'm racking my brain. After the T, the ball will be dead. Since any contact during a dead ball is ignored or a T, how can there be a T followed by a personal? What am I missing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
A1 closely guarding B1, comments on B1's mom's clothing choices.

The other side of the court an illegal screen is set.
And as the first poster wrote, the ball becomes dead on the infraction for the T, so illegal contact during the screen is ignored by rule and not a foul.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And as the first poster wrote, the ball becomes dead on the infraction for the T, so illegal contact during the screen is ignored by rule and not a foul.
Right, but if these happen at the same time wouldn't that be a false double, or are you saying the T trumps the common foul?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It's possible to have a false double foul where the first is the T and the second is a personal foul.

Not in any way likely, but possible.
you could have a personal followed by double Ts that would offset and resume POI -- so only the penalty for the personal would be administered. And that wouldn't be a throw-in at the division line (unless that's where the foul was, of course)
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK... now I'm racking my brain. After the T, the ball will be dead. Since any contact during a dead ball is ignored or a T, how can there be a T followed by a personal? What am I missing?
A foul during the administration of the FTs for the T?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
If that were to happen, somebody (or more than one somebody) is getting tossed. And we'll probably shoot a few more with the lane cleared.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
If you wanna see a foul during a FT turn into a disaster look up the end of the Charlotte/Richmond A10 tourney game last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XUl2y43Fkg

Last edited by CountTheBasket; Mon Feb 03, 2014 at 02:07pm.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 01:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
If that were to happen, somebody (or more than one somebody) is getting tossed. And we'll probably shoot a few more with the lane cleared.
Sure, but it would be a personal foul (intentional or flagrant) which is not necessarily resumed with a TI at the division line.

A number of situations could fit, by rule.

1: B1 steals the ball from A1 and streaks down the court for a layup, wide open. A1 screams at you to "call the damned foul!" As per the case play, you hold the whistle on the T until B1's shot is in the air. B1 is fouled on the shot.
(I'll be honest, I'm not sure I'd rule this one that way, but this seems to fit.)

2: A1 begins his shooting motion when B1 runs his mouth at the nearest official. A1 goes airborne, releases his shot, and comes down on B2 who had a) or b) had not established LGP in time. In a, you have a false double foul. A will shoot 2 FTs for the T, and B will get the ball OOB at the spot nearest the PC foul. In b, it's a false multiple foul. A will shoot two FTs for the T, then 1 or 2 FTs for B2's foul with the lane occupied.

3: During the FTs for the technical foul, B1 goes and stands directly behind the shooter, but within his legal area. A2 takes exception and goes up and grabs B1 and pulls him backwards. By rule, this is an intentional (maybe even flagrant) personal foul, and B will get the ball at the spot nearest the foul following B1's FTs.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not suggesting it's something you'd see very often, or that it would be something that should necessarily be called. I was just trying to supply a possible answer for the question. To be honest, I wasn't even sure it was a correct answer, thus the question mark at the end.