The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 08:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Violation: yes or no?

A1 is dribbling on the move. A1 slips, and as he is falling pushes the ball to the floor and pins it there. While keeping the ball pinned to the floor with his left hand he gets up. After getting back up on 2 feet, A1 picks the ball up. At no point after falling to the ground did A1 ever take his left hand off the ball.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:04pm
Back from the DL

One hand pinning the ball to the floor is not control. I have nothing.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

I remember this type of play (or at least tangential) being discussed after Rajon Rando made a play 2-3 years ago in the playoffs involving him pinning the ball to the ground..

Edit:

Here's the discussion:

Why call traveling? It's the NBE.

And here's the play in question from the thread above
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I second that nothing.Loose ball secured and player goes with it.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
How long would you allow A1 to pin the ball to the floor from an inbound pass in the backcourt before you start your ten second count?
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I can see where you would argue that one hand pinning the ball to the floor isn't "holding the ball" and therefore not control. However, I certainly see it as controlling the ball.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:53am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm View Post
How long would you allow A1 to pin the ball to the floor from an inbound pass in the backcourt before you start your ten second count?
As long as it takes for him to control it with two hands.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
I can see where you would argue that one hand pinning the ball to the floor isn't "holding the ball" and therefore not control. However, I certainly see it as controlling the ball.
If he's not holding it or dribbling it, he's not controlling it by rule.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'd start the ten count immediately. A still has team control in the backcourt (established when handed the ball for the throw in).
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:17am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
At the NCAA level, immediately.

The OP happened in a D3 game I worked Saturday. I was trail in front of the defensive team's HC and A1 had just left my primary, but I still saw what happened. Coach yelled out for a travel right away, and I told him that A1 didn't have the ball in his hand when he got up.

At halftime the on-ball official felt he messed up by not calling a travel.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westneat View Post
I'd start the ten count immediately. A still has team control in the backcourt (established when handed the ball for the throw in).
But in HS the count doesn't begin until a player has controlled the ball inbounds. (If A2 touches the ball on the throw-in pass and it bounds away for 10 seconds, it's not a violation.)
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

The player was dribbling, so he already had player control.

Now whether one considers the pin to be part of continuing the dribble, holding the ball, or no control at all would matter to making the decision.

Remember that per an NFHS Case Play a player on the floor in control of the ball may not relinquish control by putting the ball on the floor next to him, get up, and then repossess the ball.

A. A continued dribble clearly is not a travel as one of the fundamentals is that a player may not travel while dribbling.

B. Deeming it holding the ball means not only that getting up is a travel, but that falling to the floor while holding it was already a travel.

C. Control when down, then loss of control, then regain after rising is a travel based upon the Case Play. The only gray area is in judging if the player lost control BEFORE going to the floor. That would make the action legal.

Part C is clearly the most confusing. I would go with B, and contend that this constitutes holding the ball in one hand. To me the dribble ended when the ball came to rest. The rule doesn't state any specific hand position is necessary to cause that.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But in HS the count doesn't begin until a player has controlled the ball inbounds. (If A2 touches the ball on the throw-in pass and it bounds away for 10 seconds, it's not a violation.)
Can you give me a case play or rule citation to back up this assertion? All I've got is 9-8, which says :

"A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds."

That would suggest that the play you described is indeed a violation.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by westneat View Post
Can you give me a case play or rule citation to back up this assertion? All I've got is 9-8, which says :

"A player shall not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of a ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds."

That would suggest that the play you described is indeed a violation.
Only after PC has been established inbounds. 9-8 would apply if Team A had the ball in the front court and a pass was deflected into the back court. You would start your count immediately in that case.
Old Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only after PC has been established inbounds.
I can't find anything in the book to back this up. Can someone help me out?