The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
There's an exception, I think. If they put the wrong time on the clock for the OT period, I'm probably getting word to the table. Other than that, I'm just a spectator.
We can't save everything. I am at enough games where mistakes are made. Let these guys make their mistakes. If it was a camp setting, then that is different. But during the regular season, unless they ask me, I am staying in the cut and doing nothing. Because even being an official sitting not waiting for a game, I have had coaches turn around and "Jeff, fix this" or "Was that the right call?" That is all I need to be seen as the guy that can come in and fix everything. I would not want anyone doing that to me so I am not going to do that to them.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:19am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The officials should know this very basic rule to begin with. But that being said it might be hard to do without completely undermining their authority on the court. If you correct this, you will be asked about other situations and might have the officials looking over their shoulder on other situations. Tell them after the game will not only avoid unnecessary embarrassment, it will let them learn the rule for future games.
Indeed, they should know the rule. However, it isn't undermining to offer information (which I might give to the table). It's undermining to tell them to switch sides. Just like working with a partner, offer the information, and let them decide what to do. Besides, if they're embarassed, it's because they didn't switch, not because someone cared enough to point it out. We've all been embarrassed a little on the court, and we'll be embarrassed again. That's how we learn. We can't be so thin-skinned that a little embarassment would break us.

Most importantly, though, it's a pet peeve of mine when someone withholds information. I would much prefer someone be up front with me, so I can fix the issue right away, then rather be told about it later, or worse, not told at all, yet get dinged in the ratings, without being told why.
Old Thu Jan 30, 2014, 11:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We can't save everything. I am at enough games where mistakes are made. Let these guys make their mistakes. If it was a camp setting, then that is different. But during the regular season, unless they ask me, I am staying in the cut and doing nothing. Because even being an official sitting not waiting for a game, I have had coaches turn around and "Jeff, fix this" or "Was that the right call?" That is all I need to be seen as the guy that can come in and fix everything. I would not want anyone doing that to me so I am not going to do that to them.

Peace
Playing the wrong time in a period is serious enough for me to say something. But keep in mind, I'm probably getting the AD and having *him* go to the table. I'm not personally addressing the table or the officials.

We had someone give 4 FTs in OT in a JV game earlier this season on a flagrant foul (2 for the flagrant and 2 cause the team was in the bonus). The home varsity coach wanted me to fix it -- we were in the corner waiting for the JV game to *finally* end. No, sorry. Up to the JV coach to say something, which he didn't.