The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lousiana
Posts: 2
admitting to a coach you made a mistake

I have general question about dealing with coaches. If you admit to a coach that you have made a mistake on a call or no call, he responds by saying that that mistake is in a critical time of the game and he yells at you very loudly to show you up. How do you respond to that or do you respond at all.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: SW Kansas
Posts: 728
whack!!!!
__________________
Selling my Original WV CP. $65 + shipping. PM me for details.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
Definitely a HTBT situation. You have to know when or if you should admit a mistake to a coach. If he is being boisterous and making a scene you have to know when to draw the line. If he crosses the line, he has earned a technical.

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 06:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 20,898
Communication with coaches

General Techniques:
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.

Specific Communication Examples: Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
General Techniques:
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.

Specific Communication Examples: Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
For the record, "you might be right" is not admitting a mistake.

"You're right, coach. I missed that call" is admitting a mistake.

It's dumb to teach someone they should admit their mistake and then teach them how to get around admitting it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 11:40pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,949
The only time you should admit a mistake is when the mistake is obvious or a clear rules violation. If it is simply a judgment call and it was close, you should not have to admit a mistake. If you are constantly admitting to mistakes, then something has to change.

It is hard to tell in this situation if a T was warranted. It would really depend on who you are talking and how they are talking to you. I can see how this could lead to a T, but it is not automatic by any means. Most coaches should realize you messed up and move on. If they do not, then you have to take care of business or walk away. Then that coach would never get my ear again if they cannot be professional.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,230
I've found a little trick over the years of officiating. If the coach is upset with the call, you know you've blew it, and it's not a good time to admit to that mistake directly...Take a round about approach.

Back up to the coach (as he is, I'm sure "talking" with you) and ask him, "Coach/Bill/etc..., what did you see on that play?" You've put him in the position to vent and it probably seems to him that he is getting somewhere. "I saw something a little different; however, you may be right. I'll work the angles better to see it next time."

I've always received position feedback from coaches. Never has a coach exploded with the situation and everyone tends to end up "happy"

-Josh
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:23am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
"I saw something a little different; however, you may be right. I'll work the angles better to see it next time."
-Josh
What if you had a good angle and saw the play correctly? If you know you missed a call, what is wrong with cutting to the chase and saying so?

I don't like "I'll work the angles better to see it next time" just like I don't like a pregame saying something like "We are going to work hard for you."

Just my opinion.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 07:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 7,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The only time you should admit a mistake is when the mistake is obvious or a clear rules violation. If it is simply a judgment call and it was close, you should not have to admit a mistake.
I agree with this.

In my second year, I was working a JV game. A1 went up for a shot, B1 get his hand on the ball, and A1 came down with it. Tweet! "Travel!" Damn, I knew it was wrong instantly.

The coach wasn't happy, and as I came up the floor on the table side, I heard him shouting "That was a jump ball! That was a jump ball!" I looked at him, tapped my chest to signal "my bad," and said "you're right, coach."

He look flummoxed for a moment, and then said, "uh, thank you." Not a peep for the rest of the night.
__________________
Cheers,
mb
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 08:07am
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I agree with this.

In my second year, I was working a JV game. A1 went up for a shot, B1 get his hand on the ball, and A1 came down with it. Tweet! "Travel!" Damn, I knew it was wrong instantly.

If you knew instantly, why not change the call? Some may say once the signal is made it is too late, but as you describe the play I say making a quick change is certainly more acceptable than letting a call stand that you and everybody else know is wrong.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Velley Forge, PA
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by sing19702000 View Post
I have general question about dealing with coaches. If you admit to a coach that you have made a mistake on a call or no call, he responds by saying that that mistake is in a critical time of the game and he yells at you very loudly to show you up. How do you respond to that or do you respond at all.
"You think I missed it on purpose? (or you think I am happy about it) That is the last thing you say to me tonight." Anything further from him is a T.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:30am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
If done at the right time and rarely, it can work well. "Coach, I'm sure you're right but I got straight lined."

IMO, it works best for no-calls.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you knew instantly, why not change the call? Some may say once the signal is made it is too late, but as you describe the play I say making a quick change is certainly more acceptable than letting a call stand that you and everybody else know is wrong.
Is this called a teachable moment? I am absolutely certain that the mbryon of today would do such.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:02am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
If you knew instantly, why not change the call? Some may say once the signal is made it is too late, but as you describe the play I say making a quick change is certainly more acceptable than letting a call stand that you and everybody else know is wrong.
No one here would say the initial signal makes it too late, JAR. This is not the blarge discussion, which is the only time a preliminary signal is binding. Strawmen do burn rather quickly, though, don't they?
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 29, 2009, 10:03am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Is this called a teachable moment? I am absolutely certain that the mbryon of today would do such.
I would assume so.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I made a mistake Reffing Rev. Basketball 24 Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01am
Coach made me laugh last night... Ref_in_Alberta Basketball 6 Wed Feb 04, 2009 03:46pm
Made a new coach friend AKOFL Basketball 11 Thu Jan 29, 2009 04:04am
The most stupid comment made from a fan or coach John Schaefferkoetter Basketball 36 Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:08pm
Admitting a Mistake PeteBooth Baseball 2 Mon Feb 26, 2001 04:53pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1